WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: .310 Cadet Reloading 101, part 1

Boolit Master
    Floodgate, you might want to look at Live Steam magazine or any of the two sister publications. Think a place called Blue Ridge or something similar may well sell the british pipe thread taps and dies.

Bigjohn, stumbled across a potential problem with the cadet bbl. Just for the heck of it used a dial caliper like a depth guage and from the throat to the barrel breech face I got a reading of 1.300 and from the chamber it looks like there was a reamer run in for what looks like the 32-20 case. I'm going to double check later today, too bleary eyed and this old guy needs all the beauty rest he can get. I slugged the bbl so will have to play around with it, and see what dia. I need.
    This project seems to have taken on a life of its own. Frank

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Frank:

I read "Live Steam" for years, while running with a bunch of model railroaders. Coles used to carry the BSB taps and dies, but they have changed hands a couple of times since, and I'm not sure they're still in business. Other live steam suppliers probably can get them these days, but I am out of touch with that hobby now - too bogged down in moulds and mid-20thCentury loading tools. Thanks.

Doug
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Mold
    Hi Guys,

I bought the RCBS .310-120 RN Heeled mold to shoot in my .310 Cadet rifle and received it today.

My problem is that the base appears to be flat not heeled as it should be.

Maybe it's just my ignorance. But how do you get the base to be heeled??

Also I have a spare .310 Cadet barrel if anyone needs one.

Thanks for any and all help!
    Nap

Boolit Master

Heeled just means that the part that goes in the case is smaller than the driving bands, similar to a 22 LR. The base is supposed to be flat. When the bullet is loaded that driving band is about the same diameter as the outside of the case.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Mold
    Hi All,

For those of you that were asking I have an original W.W. Greener .310 Cadet barrel with sights for $50 and postage.

I also have a nice forestock, front band and pin and a forestock cap and screw on E-bay right now.

Thanks Nap

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Heeled just means that the part that goes in the case is smaller than the driving bands, similar to a 22 LR. The base is supposed to be flat. When the bullet is loaded that driving band is about the same diameter as the outside of the case.

Bob
    I figured it was my ignorance! I see these .310 boolits with the cone shaped recess in the back and thought that's what mine should look like. Thanks Bob for setting me straight.

Is that your Cessna 180 in the picture??

Nap

Boolit Master

Nap, I'm interested in that barrel; how is the bore and the finish?

Boolit Mold
    Hi TD,

It's a .310 Martini Cadet barrel I have for sale. It has 95% original rust blue finish complete with the rear sight. Marked W.W. Greener which was a somewhat rarer maker than BSA. Barrel will fit either makers receiver. Bore shows some frost but has good rifling and should shoot well. Has a few rust spots on the underneath outside. Most but not all would be covered by the forestock. This is a good barrel if you're trying to restore a Cadet. I can send you pics if you give me your E-mail.

Thanks Nap

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nap View Post
    I figured it was my ignorance! I see these .310 boolits with the cone shaped recess in the back and thought that's what mine should look like. Thanks Bob for setting me straight.

Is that your Cessna 180 in the picture??

Nap
    Didn't know myself till I got one.
    Yes, I'm partners with 2 other guys on it. Bought it as a wreck in 86 and rebuilt it. One guy was in the military and Uncle Sugar gave him much better aircraft to fly. The other partner is an A&P and he also has other stuff to fly. So it is pretty much mine anytime I want. Down side anymore is gas, it's not economical, so I mostly fly a 150 for grins and giggles.

Bob

Boolit Master

I'm not getting anywhere with my Cadet. It's an original BSA. The problem is that I really am paying the price for not going first class in the beginning. I bought 100 rounds of loaded modified 32-20 ammo from Gads Custom Reloaded Cartridges back in January - he only shipped 95 but it took so long to get 'em that I just shut my mouth and used 'em.

Bought a Cadet mold (RCBS) from Midway and cast up some bullets to start re-loading. I was told to "just thumb press the bullet back into the case". Not in this world - maybe I fired 'em out of a tight chamber.

Read somewhere "Buy a set of 32-20 dies and adjust them". Did that, but - let's see ... the Lee sizer die is worthless because the 32-20 has a smaller neck. (But it does de-cap O.K.) The "Powder-thru-Expander" die is worthless because a 32-20 is about .2" longer than a .310 - the .310 doesn't get expanded. The bullet seating die may be useful - can't tell until I get some bullets to where they will begin to enter the case mouth. Oh yeah - bought a Factory Crimp Die - which may just work - but of course everything else has to come first. Incidentally Midway wants over $150 for a set of RCBS 310 Cadet dies.

Add in the original problem of getting enough thin rimmed cases to begin with, and I can understand why so many Cadets are re-chambered. I really like the stock sights and don't want to re-barrel. I also don't like the idea of a sub-caliber 32-20 bullet bouncing its way down the bore. Is 32 Special my only option? That's a pretty small butt plate and a very light rifle - on a Fun Scale it probably ranks between running two miles and shaving.

Hoping for some good ideas.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Mold
    I got a nice new 3 die set of CH 4D .310 Cadet dies from Dave for $74 delivered. Call him, he's really helpful guy. 740-397-7214

RCBS makes a mould for the original .310 bullet. Buffalo Arms has them for $63 I think. 208-263-6953

Anybody want my .310 Cadet barrel? $50 and postage.
    Thanks Nap

Boolit Mold
    Forgot to add that Jansa has original new brass for $75 a hundred US. Here's his contact info. Thanks Nap

Address: 458 Bexley Rd
    Bexley NSW 2207
    Sydney Australia
    Phone Number: (02) 9599 2311
    Fax Number: (02) 9556 1341
    Mobile Number: 0411 031 948
    International Number: 61 2 9599 2311
    International Fax: 61 2 9556 1341
    Email Address: jansa@hotkey.net.au
    Alternative Email Address: mrbiggun@primusonline.com.au

Boolit Master

Jim4065,
    Do you have a 30 carbine die set by any chance? I use the expander from it to open up my case mouths and then thumb seat the boolit. I then use a cut down 32-20 crimp die to crimp the case mouth.
    As far as the 32 special, I hear the recoil in that light gun and small butt plate is brutal, about one step up from a root canal.

Bob

Boolit Master

Yes. I have two 30 Carbine die sets, but I can't find 'em. Got to start throwing stuff out, so I can use whatever remains. Got really irritated at a heel based boolit and pushed it into a case with my thumb. A light at the end of the whatever - work on it later, gotta clean the shop.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post
    Yes. I have two 30 Carbine die sets, but I can't find 'em. Got to start throwing stuff out, so I can use whatever remains. Got really irritated at a heel based boolit and pushed it into a case with my thumb. A light at the end of the whatever - work on it later, gotta clean the shop.
    Anymore when I see a light at the end of the tunnel, it's guaranteed to be the TRAIN

Bob

Boolit Mold

310 barrel

I would love to buy your barrel nap but I live in the UK might be a problem getting it into the Country even though it is classed as a obsolete caliber.
    Iv got a 310 greener but I think the barrel is shot.
    Iv been following the thread some intresting stuff.

Moderator Emeritus
    Hi Dave,

how you doing mate?

Welcome aboard

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Mold

Thumbs up Hi DROMIA

Hi how yeah doing Adam thought I seen you skulking about thought I better check it out see what you are up to.
    I loaded 10 grains of N110 for the old girl but like I said I think the barrel is shot out.
    Shame really.
    Iv browsed the site before some good stuff thougt I may as well register I enjoy casting etc. Its another intresting part of the hobby.
    Sorry folks I didnt mean to hijack your thread. Back to buisness lets talk 310 cadets.
    Last edited by dhtaxi; 10-27-2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added more info

Quote Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post
    I'm not getting anywhere with my Cadet. It's an original BSA. The problem is that I really am paying the price for not going first class in the beginning. I bought 100 rounds of loaded modified 32-20 ammo from Gads Custom Reloaded Cartridges back in January - he only shipped 95 but it took so long to get 'em that I just shut my mouth and used 'em.

Hoping for some good ideas.
    The 32/20 conversions are not quiet that. I have 2 such rifles and from measurements the chamber is not anything like 32/20. According to a few old 'smiths (older than me that is) the 310 reamer was run into the original chamber and the rim rebate opened up "to accept 32/20 ammunition"

The bore should be nominally 0.316 and I use a conventional non-heeled boolit by Cast Bullet Engineering 317.125, sized to 0.317. Dies are ordinary 310 dies with a modified expander of 0.316 (the standard one is too small). Initially 32/20 cases have a huge bulge after seating the boolit but soon fireform to what I refer to as the 310 Magnum chamber!

I've seen a lot of conventional B/S given to the need for heeled bullets in the 310 but have proven many times that the type I recommend will consistantly shoot better. I can achieve groups of 1" at 50yds with all my rifles.

317.125 design can be seen on the top row.
    http://www.castbulletengineering.big...cdbcd1c540.jpg
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Moderator Emeritus
    Dave have you taken a Chamber/throat/muzzle slug or cast?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast