RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you pay for WW's??? Hears One 4 U!!

Boolit Buddy
    Went down to a farmers shop today that has tires. Got the run around from the guys who run the tire shop and was directed to the store manager. Guess I found an assistant manager, he wanted to sell the wheel weights at a compromise between recycle rate of .30 a lb and bolts sold at 1.29 a lb. Asked him if they were tossing them or recycling them and they were tossing them. Tire guy brought 11lbs of WW up and they guy wanted to sell them to me at $1 a lb...I was about to walk out when the store manager who was listen to us just told him to give me the weights. Wont go back there again. Went up the road and picked up a 161lb bucket for $40.

Also have two car dealers and 3 small tire shops that are giving them to me for free. Figure I will be gettin about 3/4 a bucket from them each month. Gonna give em all buckets with my name and number on them, and find out what their favorite beer is.

Boolit Master

I just got my first nearly full 5 gallon bucket for $20. I'm in the process of sorting the stick-on and clip on. The stick on are small numbers.

I'm real concerned about ww availability as I'm in northern California. I have now only about 250 pounds with some linotype. This bucket I just got will raise my inventory quite a bit but I'd sure like to have a lot more.

Dutch

Ww a lb.

I have been paying .25 a lb. from a recyling place for WW. But I just found a scrap yard that has a 55 gal. drum full of WW for the same price. I'll take the whole drum if they can load it on my 1/2 ton trailer.

Boolit Master

What's with these tire shop guys thinking that they have gold? I had one tell me they get $1 a pound today, too. I was thinking he must be on drugs or something, but do some people actually pay that?

I've struck out completely around here (Oregon). All the guys here that brag about getting buckets per week sure don't live around here. Of all the places I've checked, I was able to buy one bucket for $40, and was glad to get it.

Boolit Buddy
    Even if your paying for it. Sorta feels like christmas.

So now im sorting out my WW and im wondering if there is anything else I need to check.
    Im taking a magnet to them, Im checking for rivets, Looking for a Ze or Fe stamp.
    Sqooshing them with pliers. Dropping them on the ground listening for a ting.

Am I missing anything? Thanks guys.
    Whoever Smelt it, Delt it -----Greenhorn44

---When Life Gives You Lemons, You Supposed to Make Lemonade, with a 17HMR------Greenhorn44

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn44 View Post
    Even if your paying for it. Sorta feels like christmas.

So now im sorting out my WW and im wondering if there is anything else I need to check.
    Im taking a magnet to them, Im checking for rivets, Looking for a Ze or Fe stamp.
    Sqooshing them with pliers. Dropping them on the ground listening for a ting.

Am I missing anything? Thanks guys.
    Roofing lead, lead pipe, lining from x-ray rooms, pewter, deals on solder ... what else?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

I pay $50.00 for a full five gallon bucket and the tire shop loads it into my pickup for me. About 90% lead wheel weights and the rest steel and zinc. I'm in Oregon also.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Mold
    I work for a very large dealer group and am able to get weights from 3 of the larger dealers for free as i have shooting buddies there. One buddy shoots large bore handgun and we load his brass at my place and thats allright. One of them wont shoot lead cause he says he likes to shoot more than clean. lol. I tried to enlighten him on cost of ammo store bought vs home grown but he had a case of not for me. Oh well I just pich up his bucket when he calls me to let me know its full. have enough for now, or sooooooooooo

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I have lost much of my muchness. Nobody gives nuthin away in the big city.
    If i was in Kansas City, Lead was free. I would make sinkers for fishing big ol' 8 and 10 oz.ers,
    catching flathead, and white cats during my river ratting days. We should all chip in and buy our own Lead Mine. Couple biguns in Missouri

---When Life Gives You Lemons, You Supposed to Make Lemonade, with a 17HMR------Greenhorn44

Boolit Buddy
    We shall set the mines afire. And stand by waiting with our molds

Boolit Master

I'm still chuckling! Junkyard here gets $35/5gal. CraigsLlist had an ad for 96/2/2 for $1 per lb

Boolit Bub
    i aint checked around too much since i aint had my mold but about a week. but i went to the local scrap yard and they told me $0.85 per pound for lead.....i had a choice of WW, clean lead and some other lead.....i chose clean lead because someone already had some LYMAN ingots in there...$9.35 later i had 11 pounds of ready to go lead....melted it down and it was already clean...its a little harder than i wanted but it works great...

they told me $0.85 per pound, my choice of anything they had.
    Don't doubt my abilities and/or knowledge, or I may surprise you!!!

Boolit Master

I can buy all the wheel weights I can carry in a dualie here in Texas.

Unfortunately, I can't buy them.

Everyone is asking a dollar a pound for them. I can buy them from members here on this board already smelted, fluxed, and cast into cute little one pound ingots, delivered to my front door for that.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

In Remembrance

Like Blammer, I get mine for free. It`s nice to have friends at 2 car dealerships that do tire work and a friend that owns a bump shop/wrecker service. They give me the weights just to get them out of their business. I try to give them money for the gift weights, they prefer doughnuts and a case of sodas.Robert

Boolit Master

I count myself as one of the fortunate ones when it comes to getting WW. I've gone to the same place for several years and pay a reasonable price for them. The manager asks me what the going price is for WW every time. Last time was last week and he let me have about a 175# for $.35 a pound. Well not really; he charged me $40 for the lot which is a normal occurrence. That worked out to be $23 per pound. He figured out the price and then said "Is $40 okay?" Often I take in homemade cookies or a cake or donuts and he says it's a wash.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I get mine at work from our tire shop ,probably 2 buckets a year maybe less. On the other side all the walkers that know pick them up when they see them for me too.

When I went to pick a part I filled my pockets and bought a spare wheel for my Caddi.

About a year ago a QC here at work gave me a virgin can of Alcan 5 and 2 bags of "super hard"shot.

My other duties also allow me to "service" trap boxes on the public shooting range.

Technecally I guess I get paid to collect mine.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I have been getting WW from a tire store chain the past three or four years. Then the stores started telling me they had to save them. Orders from corporate. It seems the WW companies are asking for 90% return by pound per pound of new ones.

I went to the regional office, and asked the boss there about the WW. He tells me they get one of those baby dumpster buckets (36" cube) full every three months or so. Then he tells me that the WW companies are actually paying them about 45 cents a pound as a credit on the next order. I offer him 50 cents a pound, and a dozen donuts of his choice for the whole thing. Deal!
    The last run netted me almost 1200lbs of smelted 3lb ingots.

Soooooooooooooooo, it might be in your best interest to ask your local tire store for the regional office manager's name and phone number.

this is my good deed for the month!

Rich

Boolit Buddy
    Great story

I just got 275lbs for $.25lb from a local tire store.
    He told me thats what he gets from the junker, so same for me.
    First place I've found lately that was even willing to part with them.