RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: well this is no good--(for me anyway)

I'm in, where do I send funds?

Boolit Grand Master
    Looked thru the Unclehenrys site. Few pages I looked had a few things. 1986 S10 for $750 and a Ford Explorer w/160K for 1,500 obo. Don't know how far Clinton, ME is from you (the Ford) or if you need a P/U, but if 200 of us can give $5, he might be able to get the Ford for 1K.
    Now if I could just win the Powerball tomorrow night!!!!

We help our family, don't we? Sounds like the the Dodge might be finally DOA. Lets see what we can do for GW

Boolit Master

rockrat, this is Julie. GW just went to town to take the loaner car back to the mechanic and make arrangements to get the old girl towed back home so we can list it on Craig's list as a parts truck, (I think that's what we are going to do at this point)

We live just a hair under 3 hours from Portland. 2 hours from Lewiston/Auburn. 3 or so from Augusta. When I said we live in the sticks, I meant it. We are about 15 miles from the town where the mechanic lives. We also live high up in the Mt's with nasty roads most of the year. That it why we had a 4x4 which got used a LOT during the winter and the muddy seasons. When all this snow melts it will be mud city and you won't get out without 4 wheel drive for about 2 weeks.
    In the winter we can get up to 5 ft of snow on the ground. It dumps feet of snow sometimes.
    We also live on a private dirt rd with a lot of summer/winter type cabins where people come to recreate. It's a two track, basically.

We also have two dogs who travel with us always when we leave together as they would, uh, rearrange the cabin if left home alone? (I am being nice as I love our dogs) We have a 2 yr old, 90 lb Malamute and a 17 week old, 26 lb, Labra-Yorkie-doodle.....(Sam's new hunting dog, we hope)

I have gone blind reading ads for vehicles and like Sam said, I don't really know what to look for at this point. Whatever we get has to be dependable and safe to drive. It can't have a bunch of rust on it or it won't pass inspection up here. State law says no visible holes that you can stick your finger into. (like they really care about that, right? grrrr) The inspection covers all the basics like tires, brakes, lights, body and some other stuff, I think there are 75 things that they look for. That is why there are so many ads for old vehicles on Craig's list and Uncle Henry's. Once the body is going, it's fix it yearly or you can't get a sticker for it.

Now if we lived back in Michigan where I am from, it wouldn't matter as they still don't do inspections there. If it will run down the road, you can get a license and drive it. Not that way up here. I guess they only want pretty vehicles on the roads??????????

Sorry, I just had to vent a little bit. This inspection thing is a sore spot with me and a lot of the other natives around here.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

CEO/CFO GunLoads Gunload Master's Avatar
    $100.00 sent on behalf of a Mr. Clawson and myself.
    http://GunLoads.com

Become a Supporting Member by joining TEAM BOOLITS!

Boolit Master

I'm in, please pm me paypal instructions.

Jon

Boolit Man

Don,

Again, many thanks for putting this together. PayPal sent.

This is one of the things I love about this group. They still know what it means to be a family, even though you've never met them and they may live in a different state. Doesn't matter. We're all family here...

God bless,

Carl
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" - Thomas Jefferson

In Remembrance
    Woody and Bob...
    Congratulations to you guys for stepping up to the "Look what followed me home!" challenge.
    Let's hope there's a whole handful of 'high rollers' like us out there...

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

I don't do paypal. Where to send some help ?? or did I miss something ?
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    I knew I should have been up earlier this morning! You guys are amazing!

As Bret posted, I have volunteered to be the Honcho for this effort. Normally I wouldn't post my address, but for this purpose, I'm all in.

For donations through paypal: dcollingham @ cableone dot net
    just take the spaces out and make it a regular e-mail address. (please use the personal option, so they don't charge me to get the money!)
    Or PM me and I'll send it to you through there. Put a note that it's for Gray Wolf, please.

Monetary donations - check or money order - PM me for a name to make it out to

My mailing address:

Don Collingham
    12165 W. Keates Dr.
    Boise, Idaho 83709

If you are wanting to mail a package directly to Gray Wolf, casting or shooting stuff, new truck, whatever ! PM me for the address to send it to.

We will work on setting a goal, and then post it and the progress. Maybe in another thread, I haven't thought it through that far yet!!

Let's get this going!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don

From earlier in the thread

Out Practicing
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    ― Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    You missed Post #48 and Post #52.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

100.00 sent

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Woody and Bob...
    Congratulations to you guys for stepping up to the "Look what followed me home!" challenge.
    Let's hope there's a whole handful of 'high rollers' like us out there...

CM
    I'm always up for a challenge...pay pal sent. Lets get him a "NICE" 4x4 that they can count on for years to come. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to assist someone in need. Just FEEL"S good!!

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

Boolit Master

The bottom line is that if it's a truck fund it can work. I worked with a guy who was in a financial bind after his wife got really sick and was unable to work. We knew a used car dealer who was a decent guy and we told him what we wanted to do. He loved the idea, and he helped out by giving us a screaming deal on a used pickup. After that it was just collecting the money to close the deal.

I've been really lucky in life, but it could all change tomorrow and I could be the one asking for help, so I'm in. I'll send some cash to obssd1958.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    I'm in. My recomendation would be a used 4x4 Subaru wagon. I drove them from '76 through 2006 while living in northern Maine. They are common there and parts are readily available.
    BD

A subaru would be a good choice. Around here a lot of folks use 90's model Toyota or Nissan trucks for farm/wood cutting trucks. They last for ever and get mpg's in the 20's. Not to hard to work on with a manual and a set of tools.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Setting a goal

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    You make me very proud to be a member of this Family.
    The donations, love and concern are amazing.
    Somebody mentioned when this thread started, that we needed to set a goal - and I agree, but I don't think it's up to me to choose what it will be. Sam and Julie can't really be expected to answer that question either. Waaaaayyyy too uncomfortable!!!
    Based on the road and weather conditions that they have to deal with, it sounds like they need a good 4x4 that has and will pass inspection.

We live just a hair under 3 hours from Portland. 2 hours from Lewiston/Auburn. 3 or so from Augusta. When I said we live in the sticks, I meant it. We are about 15 miles from the town where the mechanic lives. We also live high up in the Mt's with nasty roads most of the year. That it why we had a 4x4 which got used a LOT during the winter and the muddy seasons. When all this snow melts it will be mud city and you won't get out without 4 wheel drive for about 2 weeks.
    In the winter we can get up to 5 ft of snow on the ground. It dumps feet of snow sometimes.
    We also live on a private dirt rd with a lot of summer/winter type cabins where people come to recreate. It's a two track, basically.
    We also have two dogs who travel with us always when we leave together as they would, uh, rearrange the cabin if left home alone? (I am being nice as I love our dogs) We have a 2 yr old, 90 lb Malamute and a 17 week old, 26 lb, Labra-Yorkie-doodle.....(Sam's new hunting dog, we hope)
    I have gone blind reading ads for vehicles and like Sam said, I don't really know what to look for at this point. Whatever we get has to be dependable and safe to drive. It can't have a bunch of rust on it or it won't pass inspection up here. State law says no visible holes that you can stick your finger into. (like they really care about that, right? grrrr) The inspection covers all the basics like tires, brakes, lights, body and some other stuff, I think there are 75 things that they look for. That is why there are so many ads for old vehicles on Craig's list and Uncle Henry's. Once the body is going, it's fix it yearly or you can't get a sticker for it.
    I would like to put it up to the members here to discuss and suggest a goal based on this link http://www.unclehenrys.com and maybe the ads in the local Criagslist, here: http://maine.craigslist.org/

I don't know of any other way to do this, and if anyone else has a better idea, I'm open to suggestions.
    Remember, we're doing a good thing here. Let's keep it going!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Cast Boolits Owner

Based on what I have read, the size of the family (2 BIG dogs included) the goal is a full size 4WD truck in good shape. A quick scan of the links showed no suitable vehicles for less than $6000.00 so I would believe our goal should exceed that amount.

Is there anyway we could get one of those thermometer looking bars across the top of our site that shows progress?

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

In Remembrance
    I'll also throw out another thought--

I'm always surprised by the number of veterans Maine has, especially per capita. It's incredible!

If Sam, or any of the local Maine or New Hampshire casters are VFW or Legion members, or are in the Guard/Reserves and happen to know anyone who works for a dealership or car lot who ALSO might happen to be a veteran or would like a chance to help a vet out by arranging for a screaming good deal (or wicked good as they say up in Maine). . . then let's go for it.

We're doing a thing here in Texas for the Wounded Warriors project where we're building houses for vets with special needs or challenges. Some of the biggest contributors in both money, material and labor are fellow vets.

As I said, Maine is packed with vets--if anyone knows a vet who sells cars or is in that business, might be worth looking into.

It seems to me that decent gas mileage should be a factor as they are on a small fixed income. My sis has a 4 door S10 4WD that gets good mileage, has decent amount of room and will go anywhere and has the nads to pull a horse trailer.It would not be a problem to haul a couple large dogs in it.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Cast Boolits Owner

Good point Mr. Oliver. I have a 4 door Chevy Colorado and it does pretty good with the I-5 (straight 5) motor and an auto trans.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Don,
    I finally caught up with the wife and the checkbook. We have screwy schedules but such is life. Check is written and will be in the mail tomorrow. Thanks much for being Honcho on this!!!!!

All,
    What is needed for a rig should come from GW and Julie. They are the ones that know what their lifestyle is. Do they need a truck? Do they haul wood etc. Does it need to be a full size truck? Can an SUV do the trick or as mentioned here even a Subaru? Will any of the above do the trick? We know it needs to be 4x4 and decent shape (read that as pass inspection and last for a few years). Once we know what category or categories we are looking for it will narrow down what that cost may be. Asking GW and Julie how much just puts them in a way too uncomfortable position. Finding out what the needs are (though still being uncomfortable for them) will help us help them.

It also looks like they are home bound until we get this worked out. It’s going to be difficult for them to go looking not having transportation. Are there any Mainers up in that area that can help out in the search? Especially nice would be someone with some mechanical knowledge that may be able to check out possible leads for them. Not saying that we pick the rig for them but assist as much as possible in the search and help relieve some of the burden. Anyone up there have an in with any used car dealers that could be approached about helping out with a deal? I would help but I am 6- 7 hours away and have the mechanical knowledge of a tree sloth so not much use. However, if I can be of assistance in any other way please speak up. I am not beyond a drive to the northern territory if I can be useful.

V.I.
    “There are the Red Coats; they will be ours or tonight Molly Stark sleeps a widow.” - General John Stark
    Brave souls such as these gave life & limb, in order to free themselves from a tyrannical rule. They created a country where the people were allowed life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Government was intentionally shackled by the constitution to limit its power over the people. How far we have strayed from our forefather’s original intent!

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast