MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Help, Yet Another Whazzit ?

Question Help, Yet Another Whazzit ?

Someday, I'm gonna settle down and leave the recycling centers alone. Went to sell CRV yesterday and checked their lead bin and retrieved some lead sheathing etc. There was a molded comercial ingot w/raised lettering " Federated Socket Metals". It weighted lil' less than 3lbs, so hard that it barely registered on the Lee hardness scale. Dimensions are 7½" Long X 2" Tall X ¾" thick. Looks ancient and concerned it might be something bad like cadmium. Never heard of Socket Metal before ~ obviously nothing to do w/artificial hip. Anyone have thot/clue what I may be dealing w/here?

You better check that one with a geiger counter! JK

Quote Originally Posted by RodneyUSAF View Post
    You better check that one with a geiger counter! JK
    Just what I'd need.

FWIW, I did do a hardness test on a NEI cert tin ingot and the unknown is much harder than the tin.

Probably a zinc alloy for securing the loose ends of cables into their anchoring sockets.

Do a search for "socket+metal" and you may find more info.

about 210,000 for federated + socket + metal and about 6,100,000 for socket + metal.

I see your point tho ~ an alloy that is tuff for making, breaking connections up to and including heavy cables. Also, the physical encapsulation of wire strand ends to prevent unraveling. Did spy something about a pelvis socket in India also. Doesn't look like anything for bullets tho ~ was hoping pewter or worst case babbit however. Oh well, maybe I can move it on ebay to a collector of old ingots from Federated. Thanks ~

Boolit Buddy
    be sure to mention that it is 'Vintage", not old..........

Quote Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
    be sure to mention that it is 'Vintage", not old..........
    Sure thing Bob ~ will honor your copywrite

Quote Originally Posted by odoh View Post
    about 210,000 for federated + socket + metal and about 6,100,000 for socket + metal.

I see your point tho ~ an alloy that is tuff for making, breaking connections up to and including heavy cables. Also, the physical encapsulation of wire strand ends to prevent unraveling. Did spy something about a pelvis socket in India also. Doesn't look like anything for bullets tho ~ was hoping pewter or worst case babbit however. Oh well, maybe I can move it on ebay to a collector of old ingots from Federated. Thanks ~
    Ay caramba! You can lead a horse to water... I meant a search here, not Google.

You can certainly melt it and cast bullets from it as-is, but it's not something to 'sweeten' the pot-- unless you're already casting zinc.

Good luck.