WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitional Flintlock

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Transitional Flintlock

I finished putting this rifle together yesterday, and gave it a range test today.
    It is an early transitional type rifle, still showing strong German influence, but with the barrel getting longer, and bore size smaller, than the European Jaeger rifles.
    Madcaster had asked when he would see me do a stepped wrist rifle, and I do wish he was still around to see this one.
    This is .62 caliber, French grey barrel and lock, (still need to lighten their color a bit), fire blued furniture. I made the cheekpiece inlay, and thumb piece from fine silver.
    It's favorite load seems to be 100 gr. 3F Schutzen. The group is shot at 50 yards, wheel weight alloy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jfulllength.JPG   Joffside.JPG   Jpatch.JPG   Jcheek.JPG   Jbottom.JPG  

Jtopbutt.JPG   Jtarget.JPG  
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Looks kinda beautiful!
    Well done.

Boolit Grand Master

Gorgeous work Waksupi.

Do my eye's decieve me or does it not have a slight amount of cast off?
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Gorgeous work Waksupi.

Do my eye's decieve me or does it not have a slight amount of cast off?
    No cast off, just crummy camera angles!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Nice job Whats your Bbl width? I'm looking at 62's and see them in 1" and 1 1/8th"
    Member of...
    NMLRA
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Nice job Whats your Bbl width? I'm looking at 62's and see them in 1" and 1 1/8th"
    This has a swamped barrel, 1 1/8" at the breech, 1" at the muzzle.

awsome !!!

Boolit Master

Like it. Very nice wire work. And you gotta like the target. Hope you are showin that of around the Flathead.
    Last edited by square butte; 10-29-2012 at 07:40 AM.

sweet! nice work and very good shooting. was this a kit?

Boolit Master

Exceptional work, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    be kind to him Waksupi, he's a new guy here.

Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    I got the parts from Chambers. I doubt I will ever buy another stock from them. This is the second one with problems I had to fix. I'm better off starting from a plank.
    The rest of their parts are first rate.

waksupi,

Very nice work! Looks like a sweet project that was well done!

Boolit Master
    A very handsome rifle; makes me long to return to the States and finish mine...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

That is a very impressive rifle! Yep, very Germanic, too.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Mold
    Ric

Beautiful , absolutely beautiful

David

Boolit Mold
    someday after i win the lottery i can have one of your rifles

After five years, I decided it was time to strip down this rifle, and make it a different color. So, this is the updated version!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010004.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	134176

Name:	P1010006-001.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	134177

Name:	P1010007-001.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	134178

Name:	P1010008.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	134179

Boolit Buddy
    Absolutely Beautiful! I can only hope to be that good and talented some day...

Boolit Buddy

That is an extremely nice build - very well done! I'm currently working on a 58 Christian Springs Chambers kit that looks similar. I can only hope it comes out looking that good. After the 58 I want to build one from a plank - that'll be my first attempt with a plank. There's a lot of nice stocks out there but I'd prefer the freedom to carve my own and place the lock/vent exactly where I want. Great job though!

Boolit Master
    Beautiful work Ric. Anyone would be proud to take that to Rendezvous and show it off.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast