Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
PBcastco Repackbox
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loader

Boolit Bub
    Just in case anyone wants to know about it, there is a video on Youtube that shows Richard Lee using a Lee Loader. Something like 47 seconds start to finish for a round.

I hope there is a gun range in heaven, otherwise I'm going to hell!

Boolit Buddy

In the post above, kjohn has posted a link to a picture of a Unitized Loader for the 6.5x55 rifle round. As I mentioned in an earlier post (#68, I believe), the unitized one full-length resizes the cartridge case. Pretty neat, huh? The regular Lee Loaders and the Improved Loaders both only neck-size.

Here's the evidence. The link is to the March-April 1982 issue of Handloader Magazine. If you'll scroll down to page 5 of the magazine (which is page 4 of the PDF file), you will see an ad for it on the right-hand side of the page. The old Lee Custom Engineering was reorganized as Mequon Reloading Corporation around the time Richard Lee was forced out.

I have no evidence to substantiate it, but I suspect the MRC items were priced too high to sell well. I found an old MRC Improved Loader in 357 Magnum that was priced at $20 around twenty-five years ago. Twenty bucks in 1984, according to the US Dept. of Labor's inflation calculator, would be $41.57 today, based on the actual inflation rate. Now that I think about it, that makes the prices on eBay for Lee Loaders look downright reasonable!

Boolit Buddy
    Love me the lee loader, I buy them when ever i see them. I love to buy them and teach new reloaders to reload on them it really breaks the loads down to the basics and I think that people get some really good understanding from that hands on experience. Any one got any spare ones to sell i'm usually game to buy them at a good price.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok, what reloader are we talking about?
    I have the org. 50th anns. kit, that came with the pack of shell holders for the auto primer in 1994.
    Now it's called the breech loader kit.
    All nickel cases .38spl. are loaded with 2.2 gr. bullseye, 120 rn. for flutterby.
    All brass cases .38spl. are loaded with 4.1 gr. unquie(sp) 158 gr. swc for me.
    I'll be glad when I run out of this stuff.
    One son wants to help, but doesn't have a clue, need to teach him.
    The other, doesn't have a clue????
    They both want to shoot, but without help, they can keep their big A's at home.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canebreaker View Post
    Ok, what reloader are we talking about?
    I have the org. 50th anns. kit, that came with the pack of shell holders for the auto primer in 1994.
    Now it's called the breech loader kit.
    All nickel cases .38spl. are loaded with 2.2 gr. bullseye, 120 rn. for flutterby.
    All brass cases .38spl. are loaded with 4.1 gr. unquie(sp) 158 gr. swc for me.
    I'll be glad when I run out of this stuff.
    One son wants to help, but doesn't have a clue, need to teach him.
    The other, doesn't have a clue????
    They both want to shoot, but without help, they can keep their big A's at home.
    that is not a LEE LOADER, that is a press/kit.....not the same. lee loaders are hand loading tools used WITHOUT a press, no shell holder.
    mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    getting there.....

i just moved my lee loaders to a single location and was able to get a count.

95!....includes rifle/pistol/shotgun and 5 target models.

i have duplicates of several.....will be posting them in the for sale section...will probably consider trades.

mike in co

Boolit Man

I am just wondering what the advantages of these kits are? I am new to this whole reloading concept. If you have a press and the dies for your particular caliber are in the same price range as this kit, is there some other reason to own them?

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    500 SMP primers will fit into a single 35mm film canister. Keep 2 handy. A lb of a low volume powder like N340 (7gr/load - IIRC/YMMV) will get you nearly 1000 reloads, even using a dipper. Add scrounged lead, a good mould (like the 358156HP) and a campfire/stove and you are in business for a good long while... all in a 'kit' weighing less than 3 lbs.

THAT is the "advantage"...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSAND View Post
    I am just wondering what the advantages of these kits are? I am new to this whole reloading concept. If you have a press and the dies for your particular caliber are in the same price range as this kit, is there some other reason to own them?

cause they are very good at what they do, and the target versions are better than any conventional press.

they are very convienent for doing small batches of ammo.

having one for each rifle means you can leave it set for that rifle.

its a whole lot cheaper to get started with.

the down side is the tapping in of the primer......

some sets have a hand priming tool.

get a lee hand primming tool as your first upgrade.

get a scale for your second upgrade....

you don't need a work bench, you don't need to mount anything.

it can be done almost anywhere.

own one even tho you have dies...yes....i have a bunch of 308 win rifles. some are loaded in bulk on a dillon press, and most are loaded unique for each rifle with a individual lee loader labled for that rifle....

mike in co

Boolit Master
    i was at a gun show thi slast weekend and was able to pick up a cardboard box version of 7.62 russian( what we call 7.62x 54/53r). yes they still have the new plastic version available, and even back then they were 308 instead of 311 or so...

mike in co

Now I'm O.K.

I'm not new to reloading, and certainly not an expert. But I am just getting into casting and loading some calibers that are new to me. (loading that is). Last night I ordered a lee 1000 in .45 COLT, and two original lee loaders in .45 colt and .38 special. If I hadn't found this thread I would probably not admitted to the purchase of the two, at least until I had an opinion to express. Now that I know I'm in good company, I'm just downright Dixie proud of my purchase. Thanks guys.
    Oh yeah, I ordered a lee 255gr. .454 mold and a .38 158SWC mold too.

Lee Reloading Handbook

This is my first posting in a long time. I too have used Lee Loaders (.222, 12 ga, .308, .45 Colt). They go with me to the range in case I have to make adjustments. The .308 is my third one. The original is in different places right now for reasons I can't remember, but I keep one in my range box and one in my go anywhere else box in my travel trailer.

But most of all, I have an original Lee Reloading Handbook, First Edition that cost me $.98 back in 1971 that I bought with my first Lee Loader in .308. I used to refer to it when I loaded my .45 Colt or .308 as a starting point (don't anymore, after loading hundreds if not thousands of rounds). I also bought the Lee hand primer and the Lee Powder Measure Kit ( have three of those now).

Never had any real problems with these tools.

One other thing: Never carry primers outside their packaging. As a former ammo inspector for the Army, I have seen what primers can do when you have a chain reaction of primers going off, with some being more sensitive than others. Richard Lee has some good recommendations in his book for the quantity of primers to use in their auto priming tool. I concur with him on this.

Boolit Master

Mequon Reloader

A friend just brought over a MRC Improved Loader for 357 Magnum. Seems to be a precision tool. It has the hand primer seater. There are no instructions per se. I figured out everything except for crimping the bullet. Not sure what part to use. BTW, I've never seen, let alone used a Lee Loader. Do these things full length resize straight walled cases? I did use RCBS case lube and pounded the case all the way in. I 'm guessing it can also be used for 38 Spl as long as there is enough adjustment in the seater stem. Haven't tried it to confirm.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Yes, the 357 will do 38, just have to adjust load data. The 357 and 38 kits I have came with different scoops.

The "Improved" kits crimped with the case mouth expanding tool. Just flip it over, using the other end of the flaring tool, put it over the round and give it a few taps for the crimp. You can put too much or too little crimp, just kinda have to go by feel.
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCall View Post
    Yes, the 357 will do 38, just have to adjust load data. The 357 and 38 kits I have came with different scoops.

The "Improved" kits crimped with the case mouth expanding tool. Just flip it over, using the other end of the flaring tool, put it over the round and give it a few taps for the crimp. You can put too much or too little crimp, just kinda have to go by feel.
    Thats what I suspected but didn't want to try it until I was sure. Thanks. Probably wont use the scoop, just weigh charges with a scale.

Winelover
    Last edited by winelover; 08-12-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

I've got about a dozen different Lee Handloader kits in different calibers. Started using them in the barracks in the Army and out of the rucksack in the field. I used to be able to reload a box of 50 .41 Mag 215 gr LSWC with 2400 in 1 hour. Would do that in the evening after an afternoon of shooting my M57. It bet studying more Arabic after a 8 hour day of it already.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/cat...leeloader.html

Nathez Shooters Supply has them for $19.99
    http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?b...E&startRow=201

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Hey people.. I've recently picked up a Lee Loader kit in 45-70 and in the instructions it mentions you can get an optional flare tool for loading cast bullets. I checked the Lee web site but it doesn't list one for 45-70 but it does list one for the 45 Colt kit.. Do you think that would work ok?

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Just call Lee and order one. They're really good about that.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Banned

This is a neat thread. I only have 1 Lee Loader, in .224 Weatherby. It's as new in the cardboard box, and the list in the box of available calibers back then is around 118 calibers if I remember right.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast