Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2PBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Loader

Boolit Bub
    725: I would love to get a photocopy of those instructions.

Caliboose

Boolit Buddy

mike in co:

Where are you getting all those? I'm interested in the following, if you're willing to part with them.

(1) small 12 gauge (2 3/4")
    (2) .32 ACP
    (3) 9mm
    (4) 30-30
    (5) 257 Roberts

UnderDawgAl

Boolit Grand Master
    Caliboose:
    PM me with any requests. If I can help, I certainly will. Your post leaves me a little short - I don't know what you want copies of. Send me your name, address, zip etc and I'll do whatever I can.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderDawgAl View Post
    mike in co:

Where are you getting all those? I'm interested in the following, if you're willing to part with them.

(1) small 12 gauge (2 3/4")
    (2) .32 ACP
    (3) 9mm
    (4) 30-30
    (5) 257 Roberts

UnderDawgAl
    i work gun shows for my brass company. when i have time i look. there were 3 or 4 people with them. one guy mouthed off about how much they were worth on fleabay....i started to give him 2 cents worth, but just passed.
    when i get some time i'll post what i have in spares.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Beekeeper
    Mike,
    Did you ever find any more 410 shotgun lee loaders?
    I'm still looking for one if you have one.
    PM me if you have one you will part with.

beekeeper

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Mike,
    Did you ever find any more 410 shotgun lee loaders?
    I'm still looking for one if you have one.
    PM me if you have one you will part with.

beekeeper
    still just one
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy

I just came across two of them at a small gunshop, where I bought each for $10. One is .357 Mag and the other is .44 Special. Both are MRC-branded (what Lee Custom Engineering changed its name to after Richard Lee was forced out).

They are both "Improved Loaders," meaning that they have a separate priming tool so that you don't have to use a hammer for seating primers. They also include a primer pocket cleaner and a crimping chamber (which is in conjunction with the expander).

and a couple of unusual.....a 270 win "unitized", a 300H+H.!!
    mike in co, the unitized loader full-length resizes. I haven't tried one yet, but I'll bet it takes quite a few whacks to full-length resize a rifle round.

Good thread here. I've been following it for months.

Now, if I could only find one in .32 acp. I need to frequent the gunshows and keep my eyes open.

here is my stash of Lee loaders so far:
    .30-30
    .300 Savage
    .338wm
    .32ws
    6.5 jap
    7.63 Argie
    .30 carbine
    .45-70
    .45 colt
    12ga.
    funny thing is I don't even own a gun for some of them.

Does anyone know if Lee ever made them for 6.5 Carcano?

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys have the easy ones (to find.) How about a .25-35, a 32-40, and a .38-55 for the real classic rifles? Of course these are the nicer sets with the neat primer tool... I got them from Dixie Gun Works years ago. Some of the boxes I have seen have Lee on them with a Mequon sticker over top of it. I think there were a couple of branches of the family that each got some of the product line. I am fairly certain that Mequon got the old pistol rest (like a cheap Ransom Rest) because once Mequon faded, the pistol inserts for the rest ( a different one for each kind of pistol) became unavailable as well.

Has anyone ever taken one of the red plastic priming tools apart to see whether the shell holder is threaded like the ones made for the early pre-AutoPrime with the old style shell holders??

I'd love to hear more definitive info on the history of the various Lee iterations and spin offs including who made what and when.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

The shell holder in my red plastic priming tool (223 benchrest with reamer) is molded in place.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    The shell holder in my red plastic priming tool (223 benchrest with reamer) is molded in place.
    They all are.

I think the question was: If you take it apart, which is likely to destroy the handle in the process, is the shellholder threaded and usable in the other metal priming tool or is the bottom half shaped differently and not usable in anything other than the red plastic handle that you just destroyed.

I have also had this question but haven't been willing to destroy the tool to find out.

-ktw

Boolit Grand Master
    What ktw said! As usual, he understands what I am saying better than I say it. Thanks, my friend.

Now, has anybody else had the same question? Did you actually take one apart to find out? Surely one of those plastic assemblies has gotten broken in use. Inquiring minds (at least 2 of them) want to know!

Froggie

i have a couple that started out with me long ago. a standard 30-06 and a 243 win improved with the priming tool and micrometer adjustable bullet dies. what are they worth?

SW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    The only real difference in the early kits is the powder dipper. The early kits use a dipper calibrated in cubic inches and the current kits have a dipper calibrated in cubic centimeters.

I wonder how many of those kits they have sold?
    Off subject, but I recently aquired an entire set of the old lee dippers from that are copyrighted 1964. The funny thing is, that with most powders, they are still right on the spot.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by drinks View Post
    My Lee Engineering, not Lee Precision, 20ga and .30-30 loaders have the original dippers that were just given an arbitrary number, some where I have a Lee dipper set from Lee Engineering, too.
    Used the .30-30 on .30-30, .303 Savage, 30-06 and .30-40 until I finally had room for a press.
    So how did you squeeze the 303 Savage case into the 30-30 die? I've got a 30-30 loader and it will take a 30-30 case just fine, but the 303 Savage is a bit large for the die. The 30-06 is even bigger, but I don't have one of those anyway. I sure would like to pack a bullet for my old 303 Savage using the whack-a-mole, though.

Boolit Master
    I found a set in .30-40 Krag at a gun show last weekend. $15. I think it has never been used. My first reloader was a 12 ga in the old red cardboard box. I wrote the date on the box when I bought it-1964.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I bought a 30-30 Lee Loader at Foster's Sproting Goods in Dallas, Oregon with part of $20 my Grand Mother gave me for my 15th birthday. Learned to reload with it on the tailgait of a PU parked on Main Street in front of the store (Polk County Courthouse is accross the street) with the help of a very fine old gentlemean. He showed me how to flair the case mouth with a tapered punch and gave me a dipper made from a steel 9mm case. The dipper was for Unique powder to load under the 118 gr 32-20 bullets he gave me (a coffee can full!). I was a confirmed reloader then.

Thanks for the story Larry. I could picture the whole scene in my minds eye. Small town America indeed!

Boolit Master
    I have a 30-30 lee loader and today started of sizing a few new cases.
    It won't matter when I get to use cast but mine sizes the case necks down to .302 internal after being thought the die.
    Is this too tight??

Should I polish it out some so it sizes to say .304-.305 thou or something??
    Don't matter??
    Just wondering as other stuff Iv'e used (presses)in other calibres have the little sizing olive that sizes the necks up to a.001 or 2 under calibre in the sizing die.
    Cases will be used in a single shot. Not a magazine.

Barra

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    I have a 30-30 lee loader and today started of sizing a few new cases.
    It won't matter when I get to use cast but mine sizes the case necks down to .302 internal after being thought the die.
    Is this too tight??

Should I polish it out some so it sizes to say .304-.305 thou or something??
    Don't matter??
    Just wondering as other stuff Iv'e used (presses)in other calibres have the little sizing olive that sizes the necks up to a.001 or 2 under calibre in the sizing die.
    Cases will be used in a single shot. Not a magazine.

Barra
    I'm thinking that is a weak point of the Lee Loader. The neck sizer which just reduces the outside of the neck determines what the inside diameter will be. Varying case wall thicknesses equal problems. My problem is the opposite of the quoted poster, my 7.62x54r Lee Loader with the JMS-02 brass will allow a .308 bullet to just fall right in after sizing, but yes, it does work fine with .312 cast bullet. Trouble is, I want to load some .308 bullets.
    I'm getting some mixed maker range brass in a couple of days and will send a report. I'll neck size with the Lee and report internal diameter sizes after sizing.
    I'm also not thrilled with the Lee Loader's crimping 'feature'.
    I don't use the priming tool in the Lee Loader, I use my Lee hand priming tool.
    But all that said, I like the Lee Loader. The straight-line bullet seating is fine, and the tool can load some very accurate ammo.

I would really like to see more input from others re: both the good and bad points of the Lee Loader design from a technical standpoint.
    Last edited by Rio Grande; 06-23-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    My brother Dave gave me one in 303 British about 35 years ago. I loaded countless hundreds with it and enjoyed every round I made. I didn't use it for years and then, just for the fun of it, last year I loaded a box with it. Now a friend, Al, wants to try loading so I loaned it to him last week. We were at Epps gun shop today looking for one in 30-30 but couldn't find one. Brings back a lot of pleasant memories using that tool. By the way, wish I could get one in 450 Marlin. I wonder if a 45-70 could be opened up at the base to use for this?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast