Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying the Marlin 1894 for a longer cartridge OAL

Boolit Grand Master

Modifying the Marlin 1894 for a longer cartridge OAL

Woke up this morning to a rainy day with nothing particularly important on the to do list, so I decided to play with my Marlin 1894C. My rifle wouldn't feed a cartridge longer than 1.600 and 1.580 was a lot smoother. Problem is, I recently acquired a SAECO #353 that shoots great, but has a crimp to nose length of about .330. I tried to load them as short as possible, but about 1/3 of them would get hung up transitioning from the magazine and require me to clear the jam with a key, screwdriver or whatever expedient tool. So my options were either trim some dedicated brass short, or modify the cartridge stop on the shell carrier. I decided to go with the modified cartridge stop so I wouldn't have to change the die setup on my SDB dependant on what brass I was stuffing that day.

First step was to disassemble the rifle. There are pretty decent instructions at Marauder's Old Irons page. He has a nice exploded view picture linked there as well.

Retrieve the shell carrier from your parts pile. This is the surface that needs to be cut back to allow longer than 1.600 OAL to feed reliably.

Take a measurement from the pivot hole to the face of the stop and decide how much you want to take off. I've read on Beartooth that you can remove up to .100 without issue, but since removing is easy and putting back is hard, I went with .050. That should allow smooth feeding with cartridges up to 1.630 OAL and a maximum OAL of 1.650. More than enough for my purposes.

Clamp the shell carrier in a soft jaw vise and carefully remove material from the indicated surface of the cartridge stop with a mill file. Take care and keep it square. Stop often and measure from both sides to ensure you aren't getting the surface cocked. Remember, taking material off is easy, putting it back is hard. When you have removed the material you've decided on, radius the upper edge slightly as in the stock unit and deburr the edges. If you have a fine needle file, work the radius between the stop face and the body of the lifter to relieve any stress risers. When you are finished, lightly polish the worked surfaces with a little 320 paper. You could cold blue the bare metal, but I didn't bother.

Believe it or not, I took 4 pictures of the finished product. Every one is a nice focus on the 320 paper. But, since I took the picture, I'm going to make you download it anyway.

All that's left is to reassemble the rifle per Marauder's instructions and function test. I put together 3 dummy cartridges at 1.630 and gave them a try. They all feed just as smoothly as the unmodified rifle would handle 1.580.

BTW, while I had it apart, I slicked the action a bit using the instructions Marauder thoughtfully provides. The rifle cycles smooth as can be and the trigger, which was crisp but heavy from the factory is now very good.

I need to load a few and get to the range!
    Last edited by imashooter2; 03-02-2016 at 07:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Excellent Post!!

Thanks for the excellent post. I may want to give my Marlin '94 a try with this info.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

this is a well written post that needs a bump.

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone seen any similar articles on the bigger Marlins or Win 92 / 86 ?

Great post. This should be a Sticky.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks all for the kind words.

To anyone considering the mod, I've shot a few rounds now and can report 100% success. Absolutely no difference in feeding shorter rounds (was smooth, is smooth) and complete reliability with longer cartridges.

Boolit Buddy
    nice paper! im glad to see another man who,s not afraid to take a gun apart and gather info on how to make it better and who is also patient enough to tinker and put it back together and take it back apart and tinker some more until he gets it right. i routinely take apart my new guns and deburr,polish, and tweak them.often before i shoot them. i love to tinker so a "rough " gun doesnt bother me much. like you said- taking off is easy, putting back is hard. easy does it.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Glad I found this old thread. Seems that this is just the fix I need for my 1894SS in .44 Magnum. Throat on this thing is .203" measured with a jacketed slug seated backwards. I'd like to do this modification in order to increase the C.O.L.; and get the boolit snuggled up a little closer to the lands at ignition. Any chance of re-posting the pictures? They are no longer loading.

Thanks,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Grand Master

I have the pictures on my Comcast personal web site. They're still there and they load for me. Here's links to them. If that doesn't work, I can email them to you.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imasho...top/dis-sm.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imasho...top/cs1-sm.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imasho...p/meas1-sm.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/imasho...op/file-sm.jpg

HONCHO EMERITUS

Links to the pictures work fine.

Thanks a million!
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Bub
    do you think it possible a winchester trapper could be lengthed in the same way to accept a longer bullet. dan

Boolit Grand Master

I thought the Winchesters were based on the same frame as the .30/30? I don't see why they wouldn't handle very, very long .357 magnums.

Bumb for some GREAT INFO. Thanks Again Imashooter2

Boolit Master

imashooter2,

Interesting as I also have a 1984 in 357 Magnum. After you removed the 0.05", what O.C.L. did it allow you to cycle without jams? Or was this already posted and i missed it? Thanks...BCB

All the info is there. Just re read it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    imashooter2,

Interesting as I also have a 1984 in 357 Magnum. After you removed the 0.05", what O.C.L. did it allow you to cycle without jams? Or was this already posted and i missed it? Thanks...BCB
    It's buried in there... smooth feeding with cartridges up to 1.630 OAL and a maximum OAL of 1.650.

That was based on my stock configuration that was best with 1.580 and maxed at 1.600. I've read reliable reports from others on Marlin Owners that have rifles that feed 1.620 from the factory. I'd certainly check before I did the mod, but if you have to make the adjustment, it works great! A whole lot of rounds through it at this point and no complaints whatsoever.

Boolit Master

imashooter2,

Yep, after I read and then reread your 1st post, I found the info. I reload the 358429 and it is too long if crimped in the crimp groove. So, I shortened the 357 Magnum cases enough to allow crimp in the groove and still cycle. With this practice, I do loose a minimal amount of powder space, but I probably increase the pressure with less internal capacity of the shortened case. I may attempt to dismantle my 1894 just to see if I can get that far. The file work may occur much, much later! Thanks...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

Hey BCB,
    This isn't a hard mod to do. If you take it slow and check the cut often, it's not likely you'll make any mistake you can't recover from.

Sorry I have to BUMP this for good info.

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! It's nice to have a fan...

If you're going to keep bumping this, I'm going to have to take the rifle apart and get a better picture of the finished product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast