MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antique Ideal Multi-function Molds & Reloading Tools

Improvised decapping rod for Ideal Tool

Hey All,
    I received the Lee case length guage, and with a small adjustment to the overall length it seems to work fine in the Ideal tool. I filed off a bit of the end of the decapping pin to decrease overall length, although I would think filing off a bit of the threaded end would have the same result. One concern I did have is that the shaft part is not long enough to support the case mouth and I feared it may start to crimp when pushed in, but that does not seem to be the case.
    Regards,
    Trapper

Boolit Mold
    I have the 310 tool in 45 70 with the dies if you are still interested.

Boolit Mold

#4 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper458 View Post
    Hi All,
    I found a Ideal Mould and reloading tool (maybe a #4?)on EBay for a decent price, took it out to cast some bullets, it worked OK. I used a pair of heavy gloves and cast with Linotype lead and kept the lead pretty hot, about 600 degrees and it worked out fine, I started out with some improvised handle wraps made of old kitchen hot pads, but found with the gloves on I really didn't need them, maybe because the bullet is so small. They cast about 83 grs., I lubed them with LLA and ran them thru the sizer on the tool, they came out about .259. I used the tool to seat and crimp some bullets and it worked well, I had new brass so I ran it thru my resizing die and belled the neck on my press. The only thing missing is the decapping rod, I hope to improvise with the shaft from a Lee case trimming tool, have one ordered. Now off to the range with my Remington Model 25.
    Regards,
    Trapper

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    How do you know what number the tool is? I have seen them with the caliber stamped on them but haven't seen any other numbers?

Boolit Master
    i have one in 32-40 ,i use it every now and then it drops a 165+ grn at @ .321 .
    i wrapped my handles in leather, those suckers get hot.
    i use it in my gew 88's.
    nice piece of history and shows the workmanship that went in to producing such tools.
    have a good morning.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master
    Matrics631,

The tool numbers are illustrated in the old Ideal Handbooks. The Number 1's, 2's, 4's, 6's and 8's had the bullet moulds on the ends, The 4's, for pistol and small rifle cartridges, and the 6's, for large rifle cartridges, are those most often found. Trapper458's specimen is in .25-20 Repeater, a small rifle cartridge.

Boolit Buddy
    I need to make a replacement decapping tool to go with my Ideal in 32-40. Any assistance with dimensions would be appreciated. Patent 1884 Ideal M'F'C' CO NEW HAVEN.CT USA 32-40M
    Last edited by Rock; 01-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Lyman tools

Rock, If you look on the flea-bay site you will find them from time to time. They are also found on the antique loading tool site.
    When I purchased my loading tool for my 44-40 it was minus the primer decap tool.
    It is my belief that many dealers remove the decap tools themselves so they may increase the profit made on the tools.
    The base for my belief is that the same dealer will have both for sale but separate. The tools bring about $45-50 and the tools are over a hundred if in good condition.
    Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    I need to make a replacement decapping tool to go with my Ideal in 32-40. Any assistance with dimensions would be appreciated. Patent 1884 Ideal M'F'C' CO NEW HAVEN.CT USA 32-40M
    Rock,

A couple of months ago, this same question came up, only for the .38-55. I have an Ideal .38-55 unit from a fellow member and my own Winchester .32-40 unit in hand right now, and as soon as I finish dealing with a couple of family health issues will be trying to put together dimensioned drawings of both. Drop me a PM with your e-mail and I will try to send you copies when they are available.

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Master
    I recently bought an Ideal 310 in .44-40 (orange box and second one I have in that caliber) But, this one had an additional die that on examining turned out to be a sizing chamber. It is stamped .327 and sizes a cast boolit to that diameter. I ran a few 200 grain .330" hand lubed boolits through butt first and it does a good job with little effort right at .327".

The sizing chamber for different calibers is one die don't see too often.
    Last edited by Hang Fire; 01-16-2012 at 02:04 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    I recently bought an Ideal 310 in .44-40 (orange box and second one I have in that caliber) But, this one had an additional die that on examining turned out to be a sizing chamber. It is stamped .327 and sizes a cast boolit to that diameter. I ran a few 200 grain .330" hand lubed boolits through butt first and it does a good job with little effort right at .327".

The sizing chamber for different calibers is one die don't see too often.
    H-F, Lyman used to make those sizing dies in a wide variety of sizes... probably as many as they made for the Model 45 Lubrisizer bench tool. It would have been more likely someone was using a proper sized die of .427 or so with your .44-40 set, but I'm guessing the sizing dies were switched or somebody along the way just had that die they weren't using and threw it in the nearest box of small dies. Many years ago I gathered up as many of this type of sizing dies as I could find for calibers I shoot, but to be honest I never used them much if at all. Looks like they would work well with a TruLine Jr press, though!

Froggie