Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: leftover powder

leftover powder

I've been using up my 1lb cans and it always seems there is a little bit left in every one. Do you guys get rid of it or just add it to the next batch? I was under the impression that you don't want to mix batch numbers of powder but it kinda seems like a waste considering the price of powder these days.

Moderator Emeritus

The stuff makes great fertilizer. I keep any powder I cant use in a can until its time to till the garden and then sprinkle it in as I turn the soil.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

I mix it with the new can. Usually when I get down to 1/2 can I add it to my shopping list. When I get the new can/bottle I pour both old and new into a larger container and mix together really well. You can then return to original containers. Now the important part. This newly mixed powder should be treated as a NEW powder. In other words back your load off 10% and work up watching for pressure and performance. Others may disagree but this is how I do it.
    If your load was max to start with you should do this with any new lot number of powder.

Larry

I use an 8 pound can, when I buy another 1 pounder, I just add it to the 8lb can
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    You didn't hear it here, you didn't hear it from me. I keep all the scraps, all the floor sweeping of pistol powder. Mix it all together and call it "Bee Powder"
    Each spring, I load some .45LC (with enlarged primer hole) and with 2-3 grains of "Bee powder". A styrofoam wad over powder, then walnut hull or COW or corn-cob polishing compound(?) and topped off with another styrofoam wad. Slightest possible crimp on the brass, YMMV. The styrofoam comes from the meat packages at the grocery stores, typically 1/16" or so thick. Use a Harbor Freight disc punch to core out the wads.
    Retire to the back of the house, and practice on the Carpenter/Bumble bees that attack the wood work of the house. The critters drill 1/2" round holes into just about any wood they find. They dodge, swerve, hover and zing around all over the place.
    And when you hit them dead center with a "Bee round" they explode into a yellow vapor!!
    Think you're good with a pistol?? Hah!! Try some "Bee rounds" on some Carpenter bees. Much, much harder than you suspect, much fun, and excellent practice!! I'll say it again, EXCELLENT practice. Range is probably less than 10' or so, you can't hurt your house at those distances. (I know)
    Be sure to clean your weapon when done........Lee
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I mix it in.

That is with commercial canister powder. I know folks who do it with pulldown and surplus as well. I've never done it with surplus, just shoot it all up.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remembrance

Lee: I have a can of mixed 4064 and 3031 (don't ask) that I have kept for years as I knew someday I'd find a use for it. I'm not into making pipe bombs, but you idea makes sense. A few grains under a shot load should be safe.

Boolit Master
    DLCTEX as I said. If you think you're good with a pistol, give them Carpenter Bees a try. In my case, it was a humbling experience. Not to menyion the looks you get from passersby as you're out there blazing away! (And that display keeps the wackos from coming back!!)
    I'm not even sure if the couple grains under that light load even ignites. But I haVe the satisfaction of believing I have put my scraps powder to good use...........Lee
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Moderator Emeritus

If the load is a screamer I work it up starting over with a 5% reduction when I replace a new lot number. If it isn't near a book max I put the new loads into a different container, write the lot number on it and see if it groups and chronos the same.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

mix it in

I always mix the last ounce or two of canister powder into a new can. I don't think I'd do that with surplus powders.

My "95% Solution" will allow you to swap ANY load component and test it with minimal use of supplies, time and shooting. http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/95S.htm

Boolit Grand Master

Rocky, I get a brief glimpse of your page and then a light green screen with the GoDaddy click logo.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

You must be using Internet Exploder. Firefox and Chrome display it perfectly - and have much fewer security issues.

Boolit Bub

Bee Load

Lee, I like your post on the Bee Load. Those darn bees love the deck on the back of my house. They will sure be suprised this year when the BEE load is unloaded on them.

Thanks, Big Country

Boolit Grand Master

I have had to buy 1 pound cans of some powders lately as larger were not available. I mix it all together and put it back in the containers.

then I mark the lot numbers with marker on them. I work up the load and it is good for all the cans. In the long run saves labor and powder.

Wow. One more thing to consider.

I'm a loading n00b & this subject never even entered my mind, but makes a lot of sense.

I'm rolling powderpuff target loads strictly by published data so I doubt mixing lots will get me in trouble but I'll definitely keep this in mind when I start start going bigger.

It isn't widely publicized, but the maximum lot-lot variation permitted in canister-grade powder is 5% - and most lots are held to less than 3% variation from the specifications for that type powder.

So, if your loads are within 5% of book maximum, changing from the coolest permissible lot to the hottest permissible one might put you above maximum allowable pressure. That's precisely why I developed my 95% Solution described in the article linked above.

Boolit Buddy
    I mix it in, but i rarely if ever shoot near max so i'm not really worried if i were up near max and mixed alot in i would like most here back off and load up once again.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Master

I mix it in.

And I have a container of Red Dot/Herco. Don't ask. I call it Fast Herco - or Slow Red Dot - and use it for plinkers. They are close enough in burning rate that I doubt there is a problem.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)