RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brass can I resize to 6.5 Jap

What brass can I resize to 6.5 Jap

What brass can I resize to 6.5 Jap. My local gun store gave me a handful of brass someone else had stamped 6.5 Jap, I can't tell what the originals were, looks like some kind of military brass no caliber designation. I compared them to an original 6.5 Jap loaded WWII round, and they look good. I want to make more myself.

Boolit Master
    Privi Partisan now has brass available............here's there website listing.......would save a lot of screwing around.

http://www.prvipartizan.com/cases.php

http://www.grafs.com/product/266850
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master

220 Swift is one that folks say can be used.
    I have read of folks staring with 308, 30-06. I tried it and before I ever came up with a technique that worked, I stumbled across a supply of 6.5X50 brass.

6.5X50 brass is out there, though finding it can be a bit exasperating.

More exasperating yet is the size/shape of the Type 38 chambers. I guess the Japanese made them oversize so that dirty brass was not an issue. I have NEVER seen a decent chamber in one.

Years ago I saw a Type 38 carbine in perfect condition and wish I had been able to check the chamber on it.
    I wish I had bought it, the truth be known, chamber issue or not as it had some very interesting variations.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 03-07-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: errors
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

35 remington

Just run 35 rem brass through your 6.5 jap die's worked for me.

Did you run it in one pass or did you step it down ,seems like quite a bit of reduction for one pass , I also note that all the 6.5 jap chambers seem to be overly large.My younger brother hunted with one for years here in NE pennsylvania and shot a number of deer with it .Never a quick kill usually had to do some tracking ,of course we were kids and all we could get were norma 156gr long pencil bullets .I doubt that there was any expansion to speak of ,and all of them went clean through. but we never lost one . lots of great memories of the early sixties .

The native T-38 chamber is grossly oversized/loose, as noted.
    In the past, have used .220 Swift (lotta work, & they swelled-up @ base), .243/.308, & actually anything in the .30-06 family (cut-down, neck reamed/turned) a total PIA.
    Key was: cut to rough OAL, then anneal necks. Follow w/ rough size (in 2-3 steps), final size, trim. If some came-up a bit shorter than 50mm, so what. It just meant a few more reload cycles before a trim was necessary. I would then cycle the newly-made empties thru the action at this point, & flunk any that gave resistance to bolt closing. These needed a minor lathe cut above rim area to reduce the diameter there.

A lotta work for sure, but economical & rewarding as all heck.

Boolit Grand Master

Wouldn't 6.5x 55 swiss be good for this? It is slightly larger than 30.06 even though people use 30.06 brass to make it if I remember right. I've been thinking of getting a T-99 in 6.5 but don't want to deal with allot of brass issues.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    from george c note's book cartrage conversions.

take a .30-06 swage body to .450 dia. leave rim fullsize. size full langth. ream neck. trim to 1.965. load use 23 dia bullets.

There's an easy way to this. 35 Rem is ok, if you can live with short neck brass. The 308 family needs to be swagged down, a pain in the butt. Hornady and PRVI are undersized for the chambers, just like the old Norma brass. I wrote Norma a long time ago, and they show on their website the dimensions I gave them, but folks tell me all they're finding is the old stuff. Here's what I've found to be the easy way: Use .303 British. I've used 30/40 Krag too, but right now it's hard to find. First size the British down in a 308 die with the expander ball removed until you get a shoulder starting 1.480" forward of the top of the rim. Next size it in a 7/08 with the expander ball removed and don't push the shoulder back, next size it in your 6.5 jap die. Trim to length, which will vary, mine will accept a case 2.093" (53.16mm) long that has a nice long neck. Finally turn the rim down to .475". I've done this simply by chucking the case in a drill and running them carefully on a flat file, it's slow, but effective. For future sizing, the inside of a 44 magnum shell holder can be opened slightly so that the case fits. Mr. Dremel makes short work of this task. Don't worry if the shoulder on your case is a little short, the .060 rim makes the cartridge headspace as it should and it'll fire form on the first firing with no fear of excess headspace. The jap was meant to headspace on the rim, and Norma's old brass has a .050 rim instead of the .060 that it should have. Annealing the neck/shoulder would be a good idea. If you don't have the .308 or 7/08 dies, Lee sells die bodies alone. What you'll wind up with is just what Norma shows on their website, for a heck of lot cheaper, and a lot better than their undersized stuff that lasts 2 firings.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 04-28-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Wouldn't 6.5x 55 swiss be good for this? It is slightly larger than 30.06 even though people use 30.06 brass to make it if I remember right. I've been thinking of getting a T-99 in 6.5 but don't want to deal with allot of brass issues.
    Nope, Mooman - yer thinkin' of forming 7.7x58mm Type 99 Arisaka brass there. BTW, 7.5x55 Swiss & 6.5 Swede would work well here, as well as 7.5x54 French.

99's were only produced in cal 7.7 - the T-38 & all other WW2 Japanese rifles were in 6.5x50mm
    Last edited by Sanchez; 12-19-2010 at 02:57 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I spent hours trying to reform 308 cases and several other calibers to a 6.5 Jap with no sucess whatsoever! Go to www.grafs.com and buy you some loaded 6.5's for less than $25 a box. This will save you from saying a lot of bad words in your attempt to reform your own brass plus you will have brand new cases of the correct specs!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    +1 on the Grafs brass. After years of forming just about anything to make 6.5 Jap, I found that 35 Remington worked the easiest but you ended up with a short neck. Not a problem really, but not worth the effort when you can get new, properly marked brass...OTHER than Norma.

Just a quick note: The Jap chambers are NOT oversize. It's the other way around. The ammunition is undersized and has been since the 1920's when the spec was changed for reliable extraction in the early Nambu machine gun. The earlier cases were considerably larger. The Japanese didn't care if the fired case looked awful...they didn't reload. Norma copied what they thought was a normal Jap case for their commercial ammo after the war, and it's been "bulge city" ever since, with everyone assuming the gun was at fault.

Hours, I spent days, probably have 500 or so I swagged down from 308. Each case went through 7 dies on it's way down. I took out a $300 ad in American Rifleman, glad I only sold 4 or 5 hundred. I think Nonte used an arbor press, I never did figure out a way to leave the rim full size, .466, like the old Norma brass was as good as I could do, with the head forward of the extractor groove being .4575. I used GI brass, which didn't help matters. Bought the biggest reloading press I could find to make a little less of a chore of it.

For another $4. more you can buy 50rds of Winchester 35 Remington's from Graf & Sons. They are so easy to reform to 6.5Jap it's about like sizing once fired jap brass. By the way, as of this morning it's in stock too. Almost a better solution is go to Buffalo Arms and buy a bag of 50 Hornady 6.5's for $23.00 http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,5477.html If it's in stock, they don't say..Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Mold
    What is the advantage of using 35 rem brass over the ppu jap brass?

Boolit Master

6.5J are semi-rimmed thus, 35Rem is an ideal brass to reform, though a tad shorter after resizing. 22Swift can also be used but kinda tricky if your breech is on the larger side (they swell at the base). Getting the right shellholder depending on headstamp can be a pain too. I separate my brass between my 38s & 44 as they fireformed differently. I just necksized to avoid overworking the brass. YMMV
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Mold
    I intend to neck size and keep brass dedicated to a specific rifle. I will give the 35 rem a test

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    For me 35 Rem wouldn't stay on the extractor .

The easiest I did was 243 . I really just ran it in the FL die all but the last 1/4" pulled it back out lubed the body again and ran it all the way up and held the cam over for 10-15 seconds and with draw . Then make a flat line about .1 from the extractor groove up to remove the swell check fit , repeat .

It's Dads rifle and needs a .272 bullet . A Hornady 270 WSM sizer is gold here as it hits neck dia awfully close without moving it more than once . I shot it with light loads to figure out where to head for load data the .270-140 NOE wasn't great but was a start . A paper patched 266469 core sized .265 showed some promise .

I've been passively seeking 6.5 CM brass if for no other reason than to annoy the modern new is better guys . 260 Rem would probably not be a bad choice . I think based on the trim requirements of 243 that the Savage and CM family brass would be very close to right for length when the body and taper move up/forward . It may also eliminate reaming ..... I haven't tested that yet however as there hasn't been a lot of that brass laying around to try out . I may break down and sacrifice a piece of virgin 22-250 .

Edited to add that I'm using a Big Max A4 for forming this brass so applied force may not be equal in all cases .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

making brass can be fun, or a real pain in the butt. buy some and go shooting, you may find the gun won't shoot. one box should not break you dollar wise.

Boolit Grand Master

I've a bubba'd "sporterized" 6.5 jap that had a horribly oversized chamber. The bore was reasonably good, and it still shot ok but Norma cases would split open on the 3rd firing even though I was just NSing the fire formed cases. At the time I was using a 6.5-308 based on 308W cases being sized and necked down to just the shoulder in a shortened 6.5x55 Swede die. I compared the formed 6.5-308 case with the fire formed 6.5 jap case and it appeared the 6.5-308 case would just clean up the chamber. I then loaded the magazine of the jap with 6.5-308 cartridges and they fed fine. A friend had a 6.5x55 finish reamer so I borrowed it and finish reamed the jap chamber for the 6.5-308 to headspace on the shoulder. It didn't take much by hand to do it.

With some old Hornady 160 gr RNs the jap rifle shot 1 1/2 moa....I was astounded. With 140 Hornady SPs or RNs she does the same. A while back Hornady made a run of .268 bullets for the Carcano at .268 and they also shoot very, very well in the 6.5-308 jap. The BRP 268-469 drops bullets at .270 so I just seat and crimp a GC then lube with LLA. Over 14.5 gr of 2400 they shott very well.

Thus, if your Type 38 is not a 'collector' but just a shooter with the simple finish ream, a set of shortened 6.5x55 dies and plentiful 308W/7.62 NATO cases available might be a viable option.

Here is the 6.5-308, the 6.5 jap, the 6.5x55 and a 7x57;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151120_154054.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	297547

And the rifle.....[I'd laugh with you if the darn thing didn't shoot so good.....]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00142.JPE 
Views:	66 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	297548
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast