MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: A Zillion Tiny Boolits

Boolit Grand Master

A Zillion Tiny Boolits

I got a chance today to do some casting, and finished off a 1# coffee can of Lee 8mm 175 castings that I started last night. That done, I started out with a new-to-me #311252 that was sent by a friend some time ago, but I hadn't used very much to date. It got used A LOT today.

Any idea how many #311252/77 grain 32 caliber boolits it takes to fill a 1# coffee can? Let's just say, A LARGE NUMBER. Many. I may have created a lifetime supply of 32 ACP castings at one sitting. I did this same stunt about a month ago with Lyman #257420, a 72 grain 25 caliber rifle casting. A likely lifetime supply of those now also resides under the reloading bench.

The next moulds in line are both Lee tools, and new ones--30 caliber/200 grain bore rider, and 45 ACP 230 grain TC. Those weights will fill up the coffee cans a bit faster. After that, the last new mould will get some Linotype poured through it--RCBS 22 caliber/55 grain spitzer. Yeah, Version 3.0 of 223 cast booliting. Love those dinky gas checks--NOT.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Moderator Emeritus

Nice Al, there is something about fat fingers and 223 checks that drive us batty.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

The 9mm TC give me trouble in the sizer. Those itty bitty boolits will be an exercise in frustration...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master
    No doubt about it, Ray and John! I'll probably need needle-nose pliers to pick out the #311252s from the sizing die.

The Lee TC designs respond well to the use of a dome-shaped RN top punch in the Lyman sizer. They seem to align themselves better before die entry than with a TC-shaped top punch.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Been there with the 311252. I made an cream tub of them. It was alot of effort, refills, and I too thought I had a goodly supply. That was 2 years ago. I sen teh last of them to graywolf about a month ago.

Something funny happened and a bunch of people decided they were fun to shoot in a multitude of guns.

Boolit Master

I wear blue nitrile gloves when reloading and sizing/lubing boolits. Started doing it to keep contact w/lead to minimum, but found out it really helps to get a grip when handling small boos and cases.

Boolit Master
    How many pounds (of lead) is in the can? I have been casting this winter on a modified Rapine 386185 bullet mould so I will be ready for CAS this year. Approx 12 hours of casting total. I have three plastic tubs of bullets at right about 10lbs each. That still adds up to a little less than 1,000 bullets. That should handle this year, though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Harry--

The 1# coffee can has about 3/4 of a full RCBS furnace's worth, so I'm guessing about 16#. Weighing 78 grains, there are about 1300-1400 boolits all told. That should last a while. Likewise the #257420s.

Perfesser, I used nitrile gloves extensively during my haz-mutant/drug lab days. It never occurred to me to try those for handling boolits. Talk about ignoring the obvious.......thanks, sir.

Boolit Master

Yes MANLEYJT And fine bullets they were. All gone now, It was a very nice thing you did in sending them to Julie and I. I may have to lend that mold from you come spring.
    Unless I can afford one.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master
    Al,

I really hope that wasn't a single cavity mold.

Robert