Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: green dot loads?

Boolit Master

A couple years ago, I bought a lot of reloading equipment from a fellow on the Oregon coast. In the lot, was a keg of Green Dot, partially used. Still had about 6# in the keg.
    Last year I had a fellow member of the gun club, give me an 8# keg of the GreenDot.
    You can bet I started looking at the reloading data for that powder. Since then, I have started using in my 45acp practice loads. In my Uberti 45 Colt practice/plinking loads, and my .41 magnum practice/plinking loads.
    I drop the GD powder with a Little Dandy measure, which does well at dropping consistent weights. I believe I have enough plinking powder for a while.
    Although is does burn dirty, I am very pleased with its performance.
    Regards
    Jack

Boolit Buddy
    When shooting paper.I start a new person reloading for 9MM, I start them out with GD. The reason is IF they cram the case full it is not overloaded, can't be double charged and will work very well from 3.2 to 4.8 grains with 124 grain pb round nose boolits. It is all I use in 40 S&W and 45 ACP for shooting paper. My wife also likes it for 158 grn LWC LIGHT loads in her 38 specials.

Boolit Master
    Monday I did a little chrono and accuracy testing with Green Dot and a Lyman 429640 devastator plain base. Boolit was Bhn 9 and gun was a .44 mag, Smith 629-3 Classic DX 5" with S&D fiber optics as the front sight. Boolit weighed 267g and OAL was 1.710. load was 8.5g of Green Dot and Rem 2-1/2 primer in ww cases. Velocity was 1009 fps with an SD of 8 and the group size at 25 yards was 2.38" for 5 shots all in the 9 and 10 ring.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    ..."I am also aware with the Marlin Microgroove barrel, that too hot a load, will KEYHOLE the bullet down range."...

Perhaps this article can help dispel the ignorance that is so prevalent regarding microgroove barrels.

http://www.leveerguns.com/articles/fryxell/microgrove-barrels.htm
    Wonderful!!! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, Claude

Boolit Master
    I use it in 38spl and really like it for one particular load. Its a +p load and a hair over published max so i wont post it. Super accurate and speaks with authority woth any 158-162 boolit. Ymmv

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have used Green Dot for a long time in 45ACP. It burns clean and produces moderate pressure when properly adjusted. I once fished out the green flakes and put together a load; it (they) burned the same as the non-green flakes. LLS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    a better shotgun powder than either,
    You got that right! It's the bomb for even patterns from the 12 gauge.

I've used it in my .44 special, really just for something to go bang during the powder famine. Didn't really test it much.

Boolit Bub
    I use GD and Red Dot and even Tite Group all the time in rifles because i can't get 2400 or unique. But I find results vary. my ,300 sav and 30-40 like 10ish grains of them--which I consider a hot load. My 30-30s like 7-8. Gotta watch out for double doses, of course.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I find Green Dot really wakes up with a magnum primer and is very accurate to boot. I'm planning to try it in .357 with a Lee 358-158-RF for my Marlin 1894.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 06-10-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.