Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rboeser View Post
    I know this is an old thread, and there is a link in the first post to download plans for this threads sewage press. My question is, is the link still good? I can't open that link. Is there a file section on this forum to upload and or download files, or is the file somewhere else that I can download?
    Old threads are where we do much of our learning, so don't be afraid to ask. Better than starting a whole new thread on the same thing all over again. I deleted the last forum that tried to discourage members from resurrecting dormant threads. Just remember that some of the posters from years ago have moved on (in more ways than one).

No one responded to your question, so, do you still need those drawings? If you read the thread, you know there's some omissions and revisions that you will need to add, but I'm quite happy to email them.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf View Post
    Old threads are where we do much of our learning, so don't be afraid to ask. Better than starting a whole new thread on the same thing all over again. I deleted the last forum that tried to discourage members from resurrecting dormant threads. Just remember that some of the posters from years ago have moved on (in more ways than one).

No one responded to your question, so, do you still need those drawings? If you read the thread, you know there's some omissions and revisions that you will need to add, but I'm quite happy to email them.
    Thank you for the reply! Yes, please email what you have to rboeser at at gmail dot dot com. I can review the threads to see what has changed. Best Regards, Ron
    Benefactor Member of NRA

Boolit Bub
    Ok, I went back to the first page and somehow I can now download the file. I have what is on the first page. If that is the same as you have, there is no need to email me. I do thank you for the offer!
    Benefactor Member of NRA

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rboeser View Post
    Ok, I went back to the first page and somehow I can now download the file. I have what is on the first page. If that is the same as you have, there is no need to email me. I do thank you for the offer!
    Oops! Too late.

Boolit Bub
    I don't post much here but this has to be the most awesome thread on the forum. it has inspired me to use the plans provided and design up a double version i plan on building when the material gets here and i get the tool paths generated. I want to thank every one here for all their work posting and building these awesome presses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double die press assy..jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	289997

Boolit Mold
    So, I'm working on finding a machinist to help me construct this bad boy, but has anyone blueprinted any dies for it?

Boolit Bub
    Hello All,

Being a pretty simple minded guy I was wondering about a smaller press instead of building the one presented in this forum. Some folks have mentioned scaling this press down to suit their needs That's where I find myself right now. What I want to do revolves around swaging 230 grn round nose bullets and 9mm round nose bullets for my pistols. At present I have dies for making 223 bullets to feed a couple of AR's and 6mm bullets for shooting benchrest for which I have dies on order.

So when I say scale down would just reducing the dimensions say by 25% give me a press that I could make the bullets I'm currently using. At my age I don't see a need for 45-70 reloads as they're to abusive to the body.

I'd appreciate if anyone has reduced the dimensions how it turned out. Or thoughts on how you think this could be done.

Regards,

Lee

Boolit Bub
    Does the blue prints link still work? I can't seem to open or download

Boolit Mold
    Haven't built yet, but is that set screw really enough to hold the ram to the guide plate reliably? That seems like the weakest spot in the design, but I don't know how much a set screw can hold.

It's plenty just need to hold down the spring really.

Boolit Buddy
    ANeat, thanks so much for this wonderful thread. I have one of these presses made by U.P. North several years ago. Couple of questions: Where did you get that big blue ball? Also, has anyone come up with an ejector when using CH-4d swaging dies? I have the 7/8 - 14TPI adapter, but nothing to eject the bullet. Thanks again, Dan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Danth View Post
    ANeat, thanks so much for this wonderful thread. I have one of these presses made by U.P. North several years ago. Couple of questions: Where did you get that big blue ball? Also, has anyone come up with an ejector when using CH-4d swaging dies? I have the 7/8 - 14TPI adapter, but nothing to eject the bullet. Thanks again, Dan
    BTSniper on this board makes an ejector for his dies, probably will work for yours. I use mine on a Walnut hill.

Boolit Buddy
    When using a reloading press for swaging, the ram-up throw is limited to "over center" of the throw. What controls the length of throw on a swage press? To get maximum throw on my press, the handle has to extend all the way to the floor, ergonomically awful.

Boolit Master
    The blue ball is a billiard ball.

The dies determine the stop. You can position them to take advantage of different parts of the stroke

Boolit Master
    I built one of these swage presses a decade ago, (Thank you to all the people that shared their information and designs). If I were ever to make another one, which is unlikely because it will last more than a lifetime, there's only one thing I'd do differently. For the pivot pins on the toggle links I used .5" dia. x 2" long dowel pins. These work excellently, but once installed they would be pretty difficult to remove. Only after I assembled the press did it occur to me that dowel pins with female threads on both ends are available. Using these would simplify disassembly, (if you were ever to need to). With female threads on the ends the pins could be easily pulled back out of their holes with something similar to a stuck case extractor like the ones used to get a stuck case back out of a reloading die.

Just another thought: I lucked into a large amount of 0.015" thick brass sheet. So much so that I've been thinking about machining up some gas check makers. I made an adapter for the swage press so that I can use 7/8-14 dies if I want to, so I was thinking that this swage press would also be really good at check making. I haven't read where anyone was using this swage press for making checks, but I would assume that it would take a lot less effort than using a regular single stage press. Once I get a check maker machined we'll find out.

Boolit Bub
    Can someone please tell me how to get the prints?

The links do not seem to open nor download

I am happy to buy a set from someone
    Or make a donation to the site to get these

Link worked for me?

Boolit Mold
    What a fantastic thread. I'm keen to understand the physics/mechanics a little more as I can't help but think there must be a simpler design. I've sketched the following diagrams. It is not to scale.
    - blue is the ram
    - yellow is the handle (shown straight for simplicity)
    - green is the swing arm
    - red is the pivot riser

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	levers.drawio.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	308695

So from left to right, the handle is lowered which causes the ram to rise. I'm not quite sure of the leverage principle, but it strikes me that you have a sinusoidal motion of the handle in relation to the ram - in other words, you get maximum force top and bottom of the stroke as the handle moves most relative to the ram. Is that correct?

Some thoughts / questions / assumptions:
    - the length of the green swing arms is longer than the red riser arms, but not otherwise important?
    - the length of the red riser is the key to the distance the ram travels / force multiplier?

I'm wondering if there's a simpler design for the pivot plate as that seems the most complex part to make.

Boolit Bub
    Silly question, what clearance on the toggle bar ram and top plate linkage to allow for paint thickness?

While I'm here 1045 hard chrome for the guides and 4130 for the main shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmynostars View Post
    Silly question, what clearance on the toggle bar ram and top plate linkage to allow for paint thickness?

While I'm here 1045 hard chrome for the guides and 4130 for the main shaft?
    Second one I built I think I put 1/8" in between them.

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132 LastLast