RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets make a Swage press

Boolit Master
    MIB the press is a good bit bigger than a Walnut Hill but the dimensions in the plans are setup to accept RCE's Walnut Hill dies, so yes all the Walnut Hill stuff should work.

Im using Walnut Hill dies in mine.

But if you build one you do have the flexability of making it to suit whatever your needs are

Boolit Man
    Is it possible to get the press as a STP file?

Boolit Mold
    This is a terrific thread. Hats off to ANeat and MattM! I am about 90% complete with my press. Welding and boring the toggle remain.

Question, what is the purpose of the bar that connects the toggle links. The bar is not shown on the plans other than the assembly drawing but is easily layed out. The .250 attach holes are shown on the links.
    Last edited by WLANE; 01-23-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks WLANE, glad to hear youre building one. Be sure to post some pics.

The plate isnt really required but it helps keep everything from racking left/right. Especially if youre only using one handle.

With the length of the links it does help it feel more solid. I tried to get mine up as close to the base as possible, I believe in the prints its shown mounted quite a bit lower

Boolit Mold
    Yes it is for the cross plate to tie the links together. I think I didn't do the plate in the drawings because it was so simple and I didn't feel like drawing a rectangle with 4 holes in it . I think my thinking on having it lower was that it would act as a positive stop for the toggle. I was thinking that would make things like core swaging more repeatable. Having never done any swaging, I don't know if it would be better to have a positive stop or just let the toggle cam over.

matt

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, Will upload picture as soon a i figure out the ipone app

Boolit Mold
    Here is my press in progress.

Boolit Master
    WLANE that looks great, youre real close.....

Boolit Master
    Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by WLANE View Post
    Here is my press in progress.

ANEAT...

As a service to those of us without lathes or mills in the garage, I'd sure like to get Mike Dillon to look at your work, and consider manufacture and marketing. If he declined, I might be interested in working the numbers for a component kit, the search locally for an assembler.
    In quantity, it should be easy to manufacture components, and assembly is straightforward.
    I have access to a CNC controlled laser cutter which could produce all flat stock patterns and require nothing but a short tumble debur to knock off the knife sharp laser cut edges.
    Threading operation ...I'd have to see whats available for higher rate production.

An automatic welder and jig could easily perform the simple welding.

If the numbers worked and we could get an economic order quantity committed from members here, then it could be an interesting effort.
    Your thoughts?
    Last edited by pls1911; 02-01-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: sp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    ANEAT...

As a service to those of us without lathes or mills in the garage, I'd sure like to get Mike Dillon to look at your work, and consider manufacture and marketing. If he declined, I might be interested in working the numbers for a component kit, the search locally for an assembler.
    In quantity, it should be easy to manufacture components, and assembly is straightforward.
    I have access to a CNC controlled laser cutter which could produce all flat stock patterns and require nothing but a short tumble debur to knock off the knife sharp laser cut edges.
    Threading operation ...I'd have to see whats available for higher rate production.

An automatic welder and jig could easily perform the simple welding.

If the numbers worked and we could get an economic order quantity committed from members here, then it could be an interesting effort.
    Your thoughts?
    My Thoughts? Well I would love for something to be readily available. Wouldnt matter if they used this design or something similar.
    I thing some things could be changed if mass production would be the goal. Something like the walnut hill for example. They use a casting for the toggle and that eliminates a lot of extra machining and welding.

Nothing real earth shattering in the design. Something a little smaller would still be plenty. If anything the one here is a bit overkill

Boolit Buddy
    In my area, buying materials in small bits is a problem. While twenty foot lengths is way over the top, I can do much of the machine work, grinding, reaming, drilling and tapping, painting or power coating.

I submit that it could be made available at several levels and cost points:

1) a cut materials package - perhaps in the 200 dollar range?
    2) a milled and drilled package
    3) fully machined, drilled and tapped, polished, etc. ready for paint or powder coat
    4) fully assembled ready to mount and work - probably 600 dollars or more
    5) additional options - powder vs. paint vs. chrome, roller bearings in the toggles, could be additional cost to stage 3 and above

Depending on our individual DIY skills and personal funds we all would have it available in one form or another. While some will be "prettier" than others, pretty is as pretty does.

Not having production grade machines, I'd be among the first to send off a deposit on a #1 or #2 package above. Whoever does it, BE SURE to cover your time - if it becomes a burden, it will be just one more short lived project which benefits no-one.

I love this site!
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    It would be so nice to have cast boolits with lube-filled grooves that are swaged to uniformity like the picture ANeat posted. I wanted to get my friends to build this press from parts I would have bought (listed in this thread) but got pretty busy last summer/fall. The S dies are just too small to work with anything much more than pure lead. The H dies have to be used with the more expensive presses. That is what has stopped me from buying one from the usual sources.

Paul

Boolit Master

May be a little bit large of a project for a Dremel tool. Thanks for the hard work and the plans.

I looked over and over at the pictures that Aneat posted at the start of the thread and my goodness, it was awesome! I wish I can have a press like that!

Is it possible that the more knowledgeable guys can honcho a Group buy for a press like this?

Maybe if more people will buy, the cost will go down?

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by taminsong View Post
    I wish I can have a press like that!

Is it possible that the more knowledgeable guys can honcho a Group buy for a press like this?

Maybe if more people will buy, the cost will go down?

GREAT IDEA!
    Could that be done?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Buddy

Lets make a Swage press

ANeat
    I just finish my first press, came out great, working on 2nd, I have just one question, on the slot for the ram-- what is the best width for this, I made the first one at .420. Thanks for a great project. Does anybody out there have a dwg. on a pinch die for .22
    Thanks,Sprinkintime

Boolit Master
    Thats great Sprink.... be sure to put up some pics.

As for the slot I think I just made mine 3/8 wide. The ejector pin is .250 (If I remember)

Making the slot a little wider doesent hurt anything, makes it a little easier to find the hole in the bottom punch...

Boolit Buddy

Lets make a Swage press

ANEAT

Thanks for the info, I will post the pictures as soon I ever figure out how to do it. I'm not the great on a computer, machining is another story.

Boolit Mold
    Aneat
    Excellent work,
    I´m very impressed.
    I´ve been thinking of building a press.
    Is possible see a the new drawing wiht the dimensions in system metric?.
    Thanks.

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast