Hi Guys

Must say the timespan on this thread is amazing. I have worked through all drawings and design ideas and even have some expensive bought presses. This allowed me to actually design and build 2x Hydraulic presses to do the work for me. I now have another concept that I would an opinion on.

What I have gathered is that the shorter you get the ram movement versus the longer arc of the handle and handle length, the bigger your mechanical advantage becomes. The strain on getting work done becomes less for the operator. I do however know there is some limmitations, but in certain cases, bullet length versus gap between punch and die becomes problematic and you have to play with the punch holder to get your workpiece into the die. After observing the way dies get loaded into something like a Forster Co-ax press, I was wondering whether a similar approach would not be feasible on a swage press. this means you can swop punch holders a lot quicker without changing your settings.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	empty top plate.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	324159
The first pic shows my top plate design with slot where a punch holder Collet can be slided in.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bracket in top plate.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	324160
This shows the collet in place. I would like to know whether this is feasible.