Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Solder Composition

Boolit Mold

Solder Composition

I have a roll of lead free solder from Kester. I am trying to figure out what the composition is. The web site states it is 97/.2/.8/2. Does anyone know what this means? I have some soft lead and thought it might work to harden it. Thanks.

Banned

97 tin
    the other numbers are antimony,copper,and either silver or indium.
    don't matter though as they will be far too small of amounts to matter.
    call it a lb of tin.

Not likely to be any indium in there. The small numbers in that Kester alloy are antimony, copper, and silver. The percentages are so small that for casting alloy additions it doesn't matter which is which.

Use it as if it were pure tin. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by greg1 View Post
    I have a roll of lead free solder from Kester. I am trying to figure out what the composition is. The web site states it is 97/.2/.8/2. Does anyone know what this means? I have some soft lead and thought it might work to harden it. Thanks.
    Go to their website and there should be MSDS sheets on the part number associated with that solder. It should tell you what the other ingredients are.
    35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

Taracorp sells a 95/5 Tin/Antimony under the Dutch boy flag that is ideal. Fergusons and other plumbing outfits have it.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the replies! Think it would be safe to use to up the tin content in my lead?

Greg

Thanks for all the replies! Think it would be safe to use to up the tin content in my lead?

Greg
    Yes, no question about it. Have fun.

Boolit Mold
    If I were unsure of the tin content of the mix that I have already cast into ingots, how should I judge whether I need to add tin or not? How much? Again, thanks for all the info.

Boolit Grand Master

Tin lowers the surface tension of the alloy. If you are not filling out the mold well with
    rounded corners even though you seem to be hot enough, then add a bit of tin and
    see if the mold fills out better. If so, that was the problem.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    It's great to have access to a forum that responds so well to a novice's questions. Thanks for all the replies.

Greg

If I were unsure of the tin content of the mix that I have already cast into ingots, how should I judge whether I need to add tin or not? How much? Again, thanks for all the info.
    MtGun44 gives good advice above.

You may not need to add tin to your current batch of lead alloy. Make sure you'r doing everything right-- pre-heating the mold, etc, etc, then cast up a few dozen bullets. If the cavity fills-out well and the edges are sharp, and you're gtting the diameter you wish, then you do not need to add any tin.

If you don't get good fill-out, and you struggle with getting good pours even though you're doing everything else right, then add 1/2% tin to the melt and try casting again. If that doesn't do it, add another 1/2% tin. Often only a half-percent addition will do it. With some stubborn molds and alloys, you may need to add as much as 2% tin to get good fill-out. More than 2% tin is usually unnecessary.

Best of luck!

Boolit Bub
    I believe WILGEN's reply can be applied more broadly. I believe the no-lead solders you find in the plumbing depts at Lowes and Home Depot are 95/5 tin/antimony. For some reason these solders are not required to list the ingredients on the package. If somebody knows otherwise I would appreciate an authoritative correction.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by handloder View Post
    I believe WILGEN's reply can be applied more broadly. I believe the no-lead solders you find in the plumbing depts at Lowes and Home Depot are 95/5 tin/antimony. For some reason these solders are not required to list the ingredients on the package. If somebody knows otherwise I would appreciate an authoritative correction.
    95/5 will be listed out if that's what it is. Most of the stuff at Lowes and Home Depot is not 95/5 it also has some trace copper in it, probably not a big thing, if you want true 95/5, if you have a Menards get it there, they have both. That's what I do for boolits and solder to use (yeah, I know blasphemy) as I like 95/5 better than the "newer" composition lead free solders.