RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer Alert

Boolit Master

Primer Alert

I know some of you are still feeling the pain of having a short supply. So I figured I'd let you that need them know. Powder Valley has Wolf primers of virtually all flavors in stock.

Remember when buying: Get enough for yourself, but leave some for the other guy. Otherwise this "scare" is never going to end.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I'm set but thanks for the heads up.

There are still hoarders. One guy I know started buying frantically at ANY price when Obama got in. He's got more money than sense and is approaching 1 million primers on his shelf alone. And buying 5-10,000 more every month.

He's also sitting on a wharehouse full of centerfire ammo. I call it that, but it's really just a steel quonset hut type arrangement. Man was he mad when CMP put limits on how much he could buy...

To be fair, he does (legally) own a few machine guns... they go through the ammo fast.

Boolit Master
    Theres no shortage and no scare anymore. If you cant find a box of whatever you need for $30 or less at a show you're not looking hard enough. Sure it needs to get back down to $15 but with the change in hazmat rules since Obama and the increase in starting reloaders this is what the price will likely be for at least a couple years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Theres no shortage and no scare anymore. If you cant find a box of whatever you need for $30 or less at a show you're not looking hard enough. Sure it needs to get back down to $15 but with the change in hazmat rules since Obama and the increase in starting reloaders this is what the price will likely be for at least a couple years.
    Sheepdog, with all due respect, people are still having a shortage in some areas. And to add to this, the only brand that Powder Valley has in stock, at least as far as their website goes, is Wolf. And the last time, I noticed it went pretty fast....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Boolit Master

Sheepdog,

That may be correct in your area, but it definitely is not correct in my area. The last show I went to, January 30th & 31st, There were no primers at the show. Period no primers at any cost.

Last weekend there was a show, I did not attend, have freinds and relatives that went both days. One relative is regular vendor and has tables. He said the primers were gone early saturday morning before 10 am. Most of the stock went friday night as the vendors set up and before the general public was allowed on the floor.

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar
    Industry reps at the shot show said they didn't see getting caught up to all the backorders before late summer this year. And that was provided that some new scare didn't set everyone off again.

Edit to add there aren't ANY primers around here either.

Boolit Master
    How has Obama changed the hazmat rules? Nothing that guy does surprises me anymore.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

I was shocked & happy to see when my local gun store had a shelf full of every type of primer about a week ago (Phoenix, AZ area).

Boolit Master
    Sheepdog,
    No, sir, availability is still very tight. Try to find CCI, Remington or Winchester primers some place other than where you live.

I placed a Powder Valley primer and powder order because there's nothing to be had here. At that, they were the only company that had primers (Wolf only) AND the powder I needed -- IMR4895 (no H4895), W296 no (H110), Unique.

If it wasn't for the Russian mafia, the primer situation wouldn't be any better than it was starting last Spring.

Boolit Master
    obama did nothign to hazmat rules and fees...those are strictly vendor fees...not government fees.
    they went up last year from 20 per to 22.50 per, and this year to 25 per.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    and it aint going back to 15 eaither.....

cost of materials have gone up and that alone pushed primers to the low 20's.

the willingess of shooters to pay 40-100 per k means its unlikely any manufacture/distributor will lower thier prices.

we can hope, but not likely.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Man

primers

I actually saw CCI primers at my local Walmart yesterday for the first time in over a year. I bought the last 700 CCI small pistol primers they had (I'm about out of everything). The guy working there said they got in some small rifle (already gone when I got there) and small pistol. He also said it took a few days to sell them all instead of a few hours this time. They were $30 per 1,000.
    Some local gun shops have had primers of every flavor for a while now. At $50 to $60 per 1,000 they are moving little. Lots of ammo sitting sround too at silly prices. At least around here it seems folks are tired of getting gouged and stuff is starting to sit.

Boolit Master

Could be in your area Sheep and no disrespect intended, but when Midway sends me an email alert saying large rifle primers are in stock and ONE HOUR later they are GONE that is a serious shortage.

My local store, by local I mean 40 miles one way, large store too, every time they get in 500,000 primers I get a call and I have to give them a M/C number to get them to hold a few thousand then get in the car and drive quick..............when I get there they are GONE except for what they have held for me.

CCI BR2 which is what I like to use for my accurate rifle loads are $60K now too.

May be no shortage in Texas, but in Northern Michigan we still do and by the looks of the way they fly off the shelf at Midway I'd say we are still looking at primer shortages.

Just my .02 worth.................

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Got 1000 Win LP primers from local gun shop last week for $42.50. He had 800 left in another box but at least I could get 1000 and not just 400 at a time. I was down to last couple hundred LPPs.

Well, it will never be $15/K again, trust me. Much like gasoline, higher prices are here to stay. When you do buy, buy at least 5K to shave HM & shipping costs, 10K would be better. While I do not hoard, having 5K min of the sizes you load most is prudent as it will likely take you 3-6m to get primers w/o being raped for ridiculous prices I have seen. Primers @ $25/K delivered is still possible, but you'll likely wait awhile. Gunshows, I haven't seen any great deals here, especailly after paying parking, entry fee, time to drive there & wait in long lines. Nope, place an order w/ Graf's or PV & wait.

Boolit Man

When I stopped by the local Cabela's last week they had nearly all types of primers in stock. There was only 1 brand for each type in stock though (either CCI or Federal, mostly CCI) except shotshell primers, and they didn't have LR or SRM as I recall. Only WIN primers they had in stock were shotshell primers, and no REM of any kind. Prices varied, but averaged around $39/1000.

Overall, I think this is the best the primer situation has looked locally in almost a year. Still has a ways to go before it looks like it did before the election, though. Still nearly impossible to find Rem and WIN primers locally, and the CCI primers only showed up within the last couple of weeks.

Carl
    Last edited by saigafan2008; 02-10-2010 at 09:03 PM.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Cabela's online mail order has CCI SR and SR Magnum in stock. All other CCI are on short (2-3 week) backorder. Their hazmat is only $20 and until Feb. 16, shipping is a flat $5.

They have Federal SP Magnum in stock, with the rest of the Federal line on the same 2-3 week back order as CCI.

Remington SP and LP are in stock, along with, I believe LR Mag. Other Rem. on short or long back order.

All Winchesters are on 2-3 week backorder except for LR Mag. which has no back order date.

I've bought primers and powder from them before. Their prices aren't rock bottom, but their back order estimations are pretty accurate. If you need primers, don't overlook them. Prices ran 32.95 - 34.95/K, with benchrest higher.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slogg76 View Post
    I actually saw CCI primers at my local Walmart yesterday for the first time in over a year.

Your Walmart carries primers?????

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    Threw me off too!

Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    some do, but not mine. The closest retailer to me besides Gander Mountain, is 50 miles one way to a store that stocks them.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast