• Ruger Redhawk

41 40.59%
  • Other

30 29.70%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me select a new hand cannon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by plumber View Post
    I'm just not a fan of the grips on a single action.
    That's why there are so many flavors!
    I have a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 44 Magnum and the grip is a much better feel and hold than the other style, especially if you have big hands like me. The downside is nobody makes a soft grip for it. Aside from that I would lean toward the 629.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ekalb2000 View Post
    ++1
    Nothing like a single action.
    +++1
    They just have a certain "feel".
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    My favorite is old S&W revolvers because of their super smooth actions.

But I only recommend them for folks that don't shoot competition.

If someone is going to actually shoot a gun (as in many thousands of rounds), my vote is for a Ruger -- either single- or double-action --- and polish it out to suit yourself.

Yes, comparing a S&W to a Ruger is like comparing a race car to a tractor, but that old tractor will still be running when our grand kids are old.

I "wore out" a S&W (the second time I had to have it rebuilt --- I sold it), but I have never been able to wear out a Ruger --- they just get better with age.

JMHO - YRMV

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Snobal View Post
    ...but I have never been able to wear out a Ruger --- they just get better with age.

JMHO - YRMV
    Just like RugerMEN!
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

I have a Redhawk and Smith 29 - between the two the Redhawk is the toughest but also heavy enough it's nick name is the horse pistol - 'cuz you want a draft animal to carry it in the woods.

Boolit Mold
    I have one of each. There is enough difference in the grip angle that I really don't like shooting the Redhawk anymore.

I've tried three different types of grips and none seem to change the angle of the recoil. BTW I have a Smith 460 and 500 so it's not recoil, it's the vector of the recoil that's a problem.

Probably just me, but shoot each if you can before deciding.

They each have their pros and cons.

Some of my favorites are Blackhawks in 45 Colt. There's some pretty stout 45 Colt +P loads that'll give the 44 Mag a run for the money.

C97

Boolit Mold
    Two words:

FREEDOM ARMS

Boolit Master
    Three letters: B F R

Boolit Bub
    I have two redhawks and a superblackhawk and a Dan Wesson with 4 and 8" barrels.

I have owned smiths in the old model 29 but have given up on em since I shoot em loose. I don't shoot so much now so they might work out.

The redhawks are good guns. The one I like the most is one I had cut to 4" and added stag grips. I have big hands but not fleshy ones and like thick grips.

The Dan Wesson is the most accurate 44 I have ever owned but is bigger than the redhawk even. The thing lets off at less than 2 lbs single action. It is the only 44 I have ever shot a less than 1" group at 25 yards with open sights with tho.

The plow handle of any single action including the SBH gets old after awhile of magnum loads. The smith 29, Ruger double action (including Bisleys) and Colt anaconda handle recoil so much nicer. I love the 45 Colt also but it will take more work to get it to shoot as accurate as either the 44 special or 44 magnum. Also the 45 Colt doesn't have a wide enough rim for 100% extraction from a double action revolver. I currectly own a 7 1/2 ruger SBH and a Colt anaconda 45 6 in.

.contender .444

how about a contender , ? thompson center , in .444 marlin...

now theres a thumper !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by healey55 View Post
    I have two redhawks and a superblackhawk and a Dan Wesson with 4 and 8" barrels.

The Dan Wesson is the most accurate 44 I have ever owned but is bigger than the redhawk even. The thing lets off at less than 2 lbs single action. It is the only 44 I have ever shot a less than 1" group at 25 yards with open sights with tho.
    +1 on the Dan Wesson..If I could only have one this would be it!

Boolit Grand Master

Thumbs up

Good morning
    Why not just start out with the BEST and most versitile.
    Get a Dan Wesson ! You can change your barrel length in 2 minutes. You can have a scope already mounted on a shroud of the same barrel length.
    Accuracy... Steel shooters have won near all the matches for years with a Dan Wesson. This to me IS the real test.. Thousands of accurate HIGH pressure rounds and my Dan´s keep chugging right along.
    Strength... few other revolvers that cost 3x can match the strength.
    Now you can be like some and have to buy 10 different revolvers ($5500 ++) to have 10 different barrel configurations or you can buy a Dan Wesson and have 10 barrels that quick change for well under that . Probably less than $3000 in today´s money. Carry it all in a nice looking briefcase to boot.
    I have no regrets owning each one I do own.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    I really do like the Dan Wesson and got it used for a good price. The problem... well.. not a "problem" is that it is a heavy barrel stainless gun and I got two barrels with it.

A 4" and an 8". The 8 is too long for me mostly. The four is nice but I have a redhawk in 4"

I would like a 6" for it or even a 5" if they make one. Where do I find one? and.. are you guys worried about getting parts for your guns?

Also.. it is neat to be able to change barrels but.. the rear sight stays on the gun. you need to sight it in again every time.

Boolit Master
    Get one of those big ass autos, like a Desert Eagle or some such. In a .50. Now that's a BIG pistola. 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    Redhawk. Never heard of one breaking, hell for stout.

Boolit Bub
    Redhawk and Superblackhawk are hell for stout. I have had failures in both types tho.

One.. the SBH.. was a shattered transfer bar after what had to be 50,000 44 mag loads through it.. It simply work hardened and shattered.. the ejector rod screw sheared off a couple times too. No big deal.

Redhawk... this was interesting. The bushing for the firing pin cratered so that the firing pin would not spring back.. tied up the gun if you pulled the trigger on an empty chamber.

Neither failure would make the guns inoperable in an emergency.. I took a strip of beer can and stuffed it in the SBH to prove the point to my brother at the time.

The RH failure didn't matter so long as you didn't let the hammer down on an empty chamber. You could drive the pin back flush if you did tho. I completed 50 rounds of chrono testing with that gun that day.

Of the Redhawk or 629 I would definitely go S&W.

But I posted "other" because my choice would be a pre-1980 P&R M29. It's actually on my list to buy. Just something about the old S&W.

Saw a 29 the other day in nickel with the 8 3/4" barrel.

"My. That's a big one."

Boolit Buddy
    After the vote I see your use is shooting paper and jugs. Considering you are on the cast bullet forum, you plan to reload for it. Shooting paper using light loads I would go with a 29 or 629. A S&W is sweet.

Now for Serious Hunting and a scope for sighting my vote changes completely. Super Red Hawk, or Super Black Hawk Hunter.

Open sight shooting with lots of hot loads, the Red Hawk will hang together.

I have owned several 29's and 629's over the years and really like them with light loads. My hunting Revolver is a Super Red Hawk.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123