30 29.70%
  • Ruger Redhawk

41 40.59%
  • Other

30 29.70%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me select a new hand cannon

Boolit Buddy

Bridgeton, RI ( the conservative corner of the libtard state)

Help me select a new hand cannon

I'm looking to get a 44magnum, right now my biggest is a .357.

So far I'm looking at a Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel and a S&W 629 with a 8 3/4" barrel. As of right now all my wheelguns are smiths, but I have no loyalty.
    Any input would be appreciated.

If you select other in my poll, please post your opinion.
    Last edited by plumber; 02-07-2010 at 09:32 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1/20/13

Boolit Master

You just can't beat a Ruger Super Blackhawk.
    I have a flock of them in barrel lengths from 4-5/8 to 10-1/2".
    The 4-5/8: stainless is probably my favorite.

This was a 240 gr RNFP @ 50'.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post

Jack
    ++1
    Nothing like a single action.

Boolit Buddy

I'm just not a fan of the grips on a single action.
    That's why there are so many flavors!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1/20/13

Boolit Master
    I love my 629 Mountain Gun, but I really only shoot .44 Specials through it. If you are going to shoot magnums, get a longer barrel for sure.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

I am a lover of my 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 41 mag. It's stupid reliable, and I can't imagine a way, even if I fed it a steady diet of barn-burner loads, that it could ever jump out of time. I made a set of grips that fill the hand more which help with controlling the recoil better. Just my .02... YMMV.

Since you do not mention what you are going to mainly use it for here is my little list lol.

S&W 629 as you can not really go wrong with a smith they have a decent trigger right out of the box and shoot well.

Ruger SuperBlackhawk Bisley hunter. The grips feels good and can handle most anything you can put through it and hit well. Most will need a bit of trigger work. But they are one heck of a pistol.

Ruger Redhawk is a bit lighter than the Super Redhawk but they are both fine pistols.

I have the Smith 629 Classic and the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag. Depending on what I am doing I may carry either but I like them both. The Ruger I use for loads that are a bit too hot or I feel a bit too hot that I would wish to put them through my Smith.

I am also a DA Fan and like the Grip and feel of the Bisley is as close as you can get with a Single Action and thus far I like it.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master
    Wow, a might of a loaded question, but here's my take.
    I have had 629's and 29's and they are great, however, I much prefer them (N frames) in other flavors, particuliarly the 625 (45 Colt and acp) and especially the 657. I also have a Redhawk, and I'll always have it as it was a gift from my dad, however they (the Redhawk) can be very picky and hard to get a good trigger out of. I would either choose the Super Redhawk, it will let you extract everything out of a 44 you can (power wise) and it's super tunable, and it sounds like you want a long barrel on it, it's available in a 7.5 and a 9.5, second would be a Ruger Bisley Hunter or Bisley blue 7.5, I've got the former, used to have the latter. I don't much like the plow handle on the Super Blackhawk (although I have two) and prefer the Smith and Wesson and Ruger Super Redhawk grip by far, the Bisley grip IMO is as good as these also, and have many Bisley single actions.
    Good Luck and good shopping.

Before

After I got ahold of it lol.

And the S&W 629 Classic
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy

For the most part I'm just going to be plinking with it. One of these days I'll get back up north where I can hunt with a handgun. But target shooting is my current M.O.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1/20/13

Just pic the one you like best as to be honest I do not think you can go wrong with either a S&W or a Ruger

Boolit Master
    I'd get a 29-2, 4". You can take a short barrel gun anywhere, hunt with it, or target shoot with it.

I'd go for the super redhawk in .454 and there are so easy to hit with its like cheating and you have the option to shoot mild .45 colt loads to wild .454 loads

WOW.....that Blackhawk of Jack's sure is purty. And look at that little tiny group. I'm impressed.

But the thought of running a dozen mag loads through that gun makes me cringe. I'm not trying to be facetious here, I'm serious. Anybody who doesn't like the looks and feel of a single action just doesn't have a heart. My 32 mag Single Six will be one of the last guns I'll part with and I've shot the eyes out of a bunch of tree rats with a couple of SA's in 22RF, but when it comes to hard kicking cartridges I'll choose something else, thank you.

Of course you can get after market grips to tame the recoil and help keep your arthritic fingers from interrupting your sleep, but if asthetics mean anything at all to you that's not an option.

Even if appearance is way up on your priority list, you're certainly not limited to an SA. How many here can claim they don't like the looks of a 4" S&W M29? Every bit as accurate as your Ruger and you can customize it with after market grips that actually enhance the look and feel of the gun.(just get rid of that gawd-awful Red Ramp and put a decent front sight on it.)

If utility is more important than looks then Ruger's SRH or Smith's 629 with the full underlug barrel in 6 or 8 3/8" will help reduce the punishment from full house loads and both are capable of very fine accuracy.

Bottom line is....nobody can choose the right gun for you. That's like letting somebody else pick your wife....I sure wouldn't want to go there.

Good luck, and have fun with your search.

Jerry

Boolit Master
    Of course you can get after market grips to tame the recoil and help keep your arthritic fingers from interrupting your sleep, but if asthetics mean anything at all to you that's not an option.

Even if appearance is way up on your priority list, you're certainly not limited to an SA. How many here can claim they don't like the looks of a 4" S&W M29? Every bit as accurate as your Ruger and you can customize it with after market grips that actually enhance the look and feel of the gun.(just get rid of that gawd-awful Red Ramp and put a decent front sight on it.)

Jerry
    Hey, I think we share some real similar thoughts.... Especially about red ramps...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    WOW.....that Blackhawk of Jack's sure is purty. And look at that little tiny group. I'm impressed.

But the thought of running a dozen mag loads through that gun makes me cringe. I'm not trying to be facetious here, I'm serious. .......

Bottom line is....nobody can choose the right gun for you. That's like letting somebody else pick your wife....I sure wouldn't want to go there. ....
    My "other gun" is a 5-1/2" Redhawk. The SBH is way more user friendly, for me.

I agree completely that each person has to choose what's right for them. Otherwise we wouldn't have such a variety to pick from.

I heard of a fellow who claimed that he would rather have a homely wife than a pretty one.
    When asked why, he replied that if she ran off, he wouldn't feel as bad.

Jack

Boolit Master

.44s are like Lays potato chips, you can't own just one, so I see your poll as what you want to start with, not the end-all of .44 revolvers. For a starter .44 the 629 will do well enough.

Plan on adding something with a short barrel for ease of carry and something that can withstand the heavy handloads you're sure to want to try, plus a few others to experiment with along the way.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Quote Originally Posted by plumber View Post
    For the most part I'm just going to be plinking with it. One of these days I'll get back up north where I can hunt with a handgun. But target shooting is my current M.O.
    Buy the S&W. It's a great plinker & hunter.......................Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
    Dry Creek Firewood

Boolit Master
    I just recently got my first pistol. Its intended use was hunting. Its a R.H. after shooting it an carrying it for deer. I realized its just too heavy for bumming with. Told the wife the other day. That I'm thinking about getting a lighter gun just for carry. You can about tell what she thought about that. One is enough, You dint have to carry a gun wherever you go
    When i was looking at pistols i liked the look an feel of the Smiths. But i just couldn't justify the added expense over the Rugers.
    An NO OFFENSE to the single action Guyes. I just cant see how the grip they have can be comfortable
    Kevin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jhrosier View Post

Jack
    I agree, but how about 100 yards instead of 50 feet?
    Last edited by 44man; 03-19-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast