MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most accurate 45 LC bullet for YOU.

Boolit Buddy
    My Ruger New Vaquero likes the Lee 255 RF bullet. Driven to 925 fps with SR 4756 it prints point of aim out to 50 yards

A cylinder's worth at 25 yards, two hands unsupported.

Mine is a 250 gr. Nei round nose flat point. 19 gr. H or imr 4227 with a 350 cci. Also 8 gr. Unique works good. The load with 4227 is very safe in my uberti-colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    Lyman's 454190 cast from WW and lubed with LLA. Sub 2" gps at 25 yds sitting with a back rest from my Ruger New Vaquero with it's cylinder throats opened to .4525. I size this bullet to .453". The load is: 7.2 gr of Win 231 although I'm trying HP-38 with the same load, and getting the same pressure indications and gps. Almost new Unique at 8.0 grs. works nearly as well but does not meter well from my Dillion press.
    Regards, Rodfac
    There are sources that say that HP-38, and W-231 are the same powder in different cans. I think the new Hodgdon data for both is identical.

Boolit Bub
    Most accurate has been a 340 gr. LBT WLN in a open sighted Freedom Arms .45 Colt cylinder; backed by 18.5 gr. 2400. Hits a 12"x12" plate at 250 yards all day long.
    But then again, it's a 'Moo' point! ( A cows point of view; don't matter)

Boolit Mold
    325gr WLN GC over 24 gr H110 1275fps
    Linebaugh custom conversion (six shot)
    Last edited by haven't got a clue; 02-11-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee 250 RFN in my old Vaquero with 9.0 gr. of Unique.

LTB 315K over 23.0gr of H110. Cast from WW and lubed it weighs 325gr.

Dang Whit! No need for a Ransom Rest around you! I'm not getting groups like that off the bags! But anyway, I'm still looking for a "best" bullet, I'm hoping my experiments with sized down 457122 and 457191 will turn in a group like tek's...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DJWright View Post
    Most accurate has been a 340 gr. LBT WLN in a open sighted Freedom Arms .45 Colt cylinder; backed by 18.5 gr. 2400. Hits a 12"x12" plate at 250 yards all day long.
    Ya, well I got a couple revolvers that will do the same thing - once in the morning and once late afternoon - that's all day right?

An OLD Ideal 454424. It gives birth to boolits weighing 267gr. from WWs, and with 9.5 gr. of Unique shoots better than I can hold the gun. I do want to try the Lyman 454190 though.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin View Post
    Dang Whit! No need for a Ransom Rest around you! I'm not getting groups like that off the bags! But anyway, I'm still looking for a "best" bullet, I'm hoping my experiments with sized down 457122 and 457191 will turn in a group like tek's...
    Darn, I didn't know Veral had started putting the forward driving band on his style bullets, is he dropping his line of bullets for the Keith style?

.45lc

This is the most accurate in my 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk is a .452 255LSWC over 14gr. WC820 1275FPS. This hot load is only for Ruger Blackhawk & Contender guns. This is a very good deer load.

Boolit Master

RCBS 45-255 SWC is my most accurate 45 Colt bullet for in mid to higher level loads in my Redhawk & Blackhawk's. The RCBS 45-230CM is what I use for accurate low level loads.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Shot from either a revolver or a lever action, the 283 grain plain base LFN LBT custom bullet design behind 11 grains of Herco is a load that I can expect clover groups with on just about any day I shoot it. For long ranges from the rifle it can't be beat by any other plain base and has over taken all my GC designs too. There are a few others that I will be working on however that may over take the throne. Not too long ago I put together a custom Mountain Mold LFN GC design at 310 grains that has the same bullet characteristics as the LBT LFN and it may win the accuracy war; I’m awaiting the MM mold so time will tell.

As for the heavy…….I too use the RCBS 45-325-FN plain base in both the revolver and the lever action with very good accuracy and this bullet brings a truckload of knock down power with it. At 345 grains I know I wouldn’t want to stick around long if I was an elk, a moose, or a bear.

Boolit Grand Master

LBT 300gr LFN ahead of 9.0 Unique.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!