Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Expander Dies for a 30-40

Boolit Bub

Expander Dies for a 30-40

Hello

I'm thinking of getting my old 1898 springfield out and doing a little shooting. Back when I used to shoot it I used my Lyman tong tool for reloading.
    Where can I find a correct sized expander for using oversized cast bullets? I want it in a regular sized die for a press. Is calling buffalo arms and having a custom expander stem made my only option?
    What are you krag shooters using?

Michael

Dies

... still using my Ideal tong tool! If you feel the need to FL resize (like you have more than one rifle in 30-40), you can get an adaptor to use the 310-type expanders in a bench press. Or, you can get a Lyman M die in "31 Long" ... accomplishes the same thing as the 310 tool .311 neck expander.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

Boolit Bub
    Bob S.

Thanks alot fella....i think that 31 long M die is exactly what i'm look for.

Michael

Boolit Buddy
    I have been loading with the Lee universal type expander die. I don't expand much. Just enough to keep from damaging the cast bullet.

Boolit Bub
    If I am lucky all I will need is the expanding portion of the stem and wont need to bell the case. I'm using a Meacham seating for some of my other rifles but i'm not sure it will work with the oversize bullet i want to use in the krag.
    If this bullet works with the meacham die it will be great. You don't need to bell the case using it, just a light chamfer work for cast bullets.

Michael

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I use the RCBS expanders. If I am sizing .309 or .310 the .310 expander is used, for larger size boolits I use the .311 expander. Strangely, RCBS makes only two expander diameters in .30/.31 cal. In all other sizes they make only one! Seems to work well in all sizes, however. My .358 expander allows damage-free seating with .360" boolits, etc.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

I have the neatest custom expander plug for an M die. It tapers from .307 to .317 in .001 steps. It is not a cone, but actual steps. In use, you run the plug far enough into the case to allow the gas check to be seated in the case mouth.