RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY - pictures of my Ruger .44 Lipsey Special

I stopped by my dealer's last night, and he told me that my Bisley Flattop .44 Special might be here as soon as Monday so it looks like they are shipping.

NICE looking revolver.

Hmmm.... wonder if that model is the reason for the sweet looking Blackhawk in .45 Colt on the consignment rack down at the range...

Boolit Grand Master

To save others grief when changing grips - neither Hogue nor Pachmayr grips for the Ruger Black Hawk will fit these .44 Lipsey Specials. They have the same frame as the 50th Anniversary models and the New Vaquero. These are STEEL grip frames and are a different width than the other Black Hawks. I have talked to Hogue's AND Pachmayr about this. They neither intend to make grips to fit them (they don't believe that the demand is there). Whether or not they will eventually change their mind I have no way of knowing but currently they will NOT. At any rate, I would NOT hold my breath while waiting for them to do so.

The Pachmayr grips for SAA ALMOST fit, as I stated before, and are quite satisfactory for me and others I have sent in that direction. Not perfect, but almost. Further, it is a good idea to cover the grip frame under the rubber grips with a light coat of gun grease (Rig or in my case, Lubriplate). That protects the grip frame from rusting under the rubber grips and also allows you to more easily slip the slightly too tight grip into place and hold it there while you tighten the screw. Frankly, I am extremely happy with my Pachmayr SAA grips and I can shoot the heaviest safe loads without being bothered by the recoil. In fact, I LOVE the combination.

Just wanted to keep someone from ending up with a pair of grips he cannot use.

Dale53

Dale:
    Good info on the grips, but I still think buying the Bisley was the best solution!
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master
    Better listen real close to what Dale53 is saying. He knows exactly what he is talking about. Thanks Dale for putting me onto the idea of using the SAA grips on my Lipsey's .44 Spec.

Best to you,

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

AnthonyB;
    I certainly wouldn't argue with you about the choice of grips. I recently (last fall) took delivery on a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible 5½". I haven't shot it as much as I would like (dad blame SNOW and cold weather) but have shot it enough to know that it is a real performer.

If I had to choose between the plow handle grip and Bisley, it would be Bisley all the way. However, the Packmayr grips on the plow handles are even better handling for me. I'll be keeping both, you understand, but I REALLY like the .44 Lipsey with the Packmayrs. Frankly, I see myself shooting both in the coming months and shooting them a LOT.

My .44 and .45 bullet moulds are going to be running full steam ahead in the coming months (as they are now).

Having MiHec .44 Keith bullets in both solid and hollow point moulds, and a MiHec hollow point 45-270-SAA bullet mould coming (and probably a six cavity solid point mould in the near future) coupled with my present day NOE five cavity mould for the 454424 .45 Keith bullet, my "Treasure Coffers" runneth over.

Dale53

Nice pistols, and the 44 special is hard to beat, I remember how long I lusted for a Ruger 44 spl...finally had a 357 converted, I still shoot it a lot and it will go to my son when my days are done....
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Dale:
    I agree and will be keeping both. I haven't been able to find a set of SAA Pachmayrs, but did see that Herrett's is offering wood grips for the new frame and will probably order a set of those.
    The Bisley needs a trigger job, and I can't wait it to get it to the the range. Now I have to figure out why I need to keep the 50th Anniversary 44 Mag - the Bisley Special should match velocities with any load I could handle with the regular gripped Anniversary model.
    Tony

I am fondling my Lipsey Ruger as I am reading all of this. I have a brand new galco holster and I am waiting on my California Olive wood grips that are in the mail. Life is indeed good and I was well satisfied until I read the part that Lipsey is shipping the .44 spcl. in a Bisley frame. DANGIT!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

It's been torture for me to resist buying one of the new Lipsey's Bisley 44 specials (notice my Avatar). The more I read about you guys and your 44 specials here, the weaker I get. Shooting the Skeeter load in one of these smaller frame 44's with a Bisley grip frame would be handgun utopia.

This is the reason for trying to resist another Bisley framed 44. I just finished putting my 4-5/8" Super Blackhawk back together after installing a Bisley grip frame. The grips are from Jim Badger. I'm planning to use this one for my new backpacking gun this summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0997.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

HIghland Drifter;
    That is a nice lookin' piece, for sure! We are blessed indeed to be living in these times (with the exception of the present day economy). We really have some nice handguns available to us.

We also have the choice of EXCELLENT bullet moulds (check out our Vendors' offerings) to feed these wonderful handguns, if you need one or two.

Nice picture, by the way!

Dale53

Pictures of my Ruger .44 special

Dale has already started something good here, so I am going to follow along with pictures of mine. It has new wood grips, and a new Galco holster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 25384_1104478349006_1738190647_203605_1226108_n.jpg   25384_1104478989022_1738190647_203606_2658959_n.jpg  
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Buddy
    This thread cost me money. The gun shop had a Ruger 5.5" FT .44 Special Wednesday, and I was back first thing Thursday morning.

This thing cries out to try the Skeeter Load of a 245 SWC over 7.5 grains of Unique. Of course, I have 11 .44 moulds, and exactly zero are SWCs in the 240-250 range. I should have one in a few days though. More money gone- Oh well.

Boolit Grand Master

>>>This thread cost me money.<<<

GOOD!! That's what this is all about - sharing the pain

Seriously, you will LOVE the .44 Lipsey Special. I sure do!

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    I just came in from shooting mine (in the rain). I tried a variety of loads, but it seems to like something with every bullet I tried: the Saeco 428 TC, the little bitty old Lyman 429105, and the discontinued old Lee 209 WC. I'm surprised the Lee WC did anything because it is a bit small.

I actually got out to shoot mine again today as well.
    Mine likes the Mihec 5 cavity 250 gr Keith mold boolit over 6.5 grains of Universal. That boolit with that load are the cartridges in my picture.
    It also shoots the Lyman Devastator over 7.0 grains of N330 really well.
    I like this pistol so much that I am wanting the Stainless version very bad right now, and I will start looking for one as soon as the funds become available.
    Someone said it right when they said, "These are the good old days!"
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadforbrains View Post
    Dale has already started something good here, so I am going to follow along with pictures of mine. It has new wood grips, and a new Galco holster.
    Looks like you have the NV hammer as well...

Very nice.

captainkirk

Quote Originally Posted by captainkirk View Post
    Looks like you have the NV hammer as well...

Very nice.

captainkirk
    ThanK You Sir!
    edited to add: I never even noticed the hammer on mine being different from the others. Is this some kind of rarity? If it is I might have to relegate this one to safe queen status.
    Last edited by Leadforbrains; 03-15-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Will kill for food!

I wish these 44 Special threads would go away.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    I wish these 44 Special threads would go away.
    You know you want one and it is only a matter of time before you break down and buy one!
    Will kill for food!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast