Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Help with Buckshot and slug loads Please

Help with Buckshot and slug loads Please

I have been casting 00 buck and the Lee 1oz slugs. I looked at the load data Lee puts in with their mold and also the Lyman shorgun reloading manual. It seems like every load is using a specific hull, specific primer, specific wad and of course a specific powder. Trying to find all the specific componets for one load is quite a challange. I have hunderds of hulls I have picked up but can't tell what they are! Is there a common set of components that can be used for both buck and slug? Is there really a difference in the brand of primers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Banned

this may go against everything everyone else does but here goes.

I'd seperate your hulls by type, that really matters.

Primers, I've found no real difference in various loads, pick one and use it. Just be careful when using max loads.

Powder yea, follow the reloading data charges for it.

Wads, I've used several different brands interchangebly with no adverse affects. Once again I am loading middle of the road charges/loads.

so yea, I've taken a WW hull and used the reloading data for it, and used a different wad than it said and it worked fine for general blasting buckshot loads. I checked to make sure my substitute wad was not "overly snug" as that may cause pressure problems. Just something to watch for.

Boolit Man
    I've used data for one brand of straight-walled hull in another; Federal GM data in a Fiochi hull, for example, with no problem. I would not switch wads between tapered hulls and straight-wall. The ability to use the same wads for bk and slugs depends on what size bk loads you want and other factors. A gas seal and hard cardboard wads (1/8, 1/4 and 1/2") plus a teflon wrap provide a lot of versatility for both bk and slugs.

I have three manuals from BPI/Corcoran, MN. All the data has worked well for me. I use Herco for slugs and buckshot - I'm like you and would rather have one instead of two for the two types of loads.

35 to 40 grains of Blue Dot with that Lee slug and throw together whatever other components you want --- shouldn't be able to get yourself into any trouble unless you do something really really obscure and crazy like use 8ga. industrial primers or cast the slugs from depleated uranium instead of lead or something along those lines. Even forcing a straight wad into a tapered hull and using a Fed-209-A primer you should still be fine. Won't be the fastest load but they won't be no bloopers either.

Sounds like you have the Lyman manual; it has diagrams in the front showing cutaway views of the different hulls, to help you identify them.

I've been using the Fed 2-3/4" paper basewad hull data for the cheap "gun club" hulls that are really common now (Estate brand, Federal game loads, etc).
    The Federal 12S4 wads are good for buck and slugs, as the wad column is a little stiffer than others, and doesn't cock over sideways when fired.

Boolit Master
    I've been developing loads for the Fiocchi purple hull since that is the one I have 2.5 - 5 gallon buckets of. The thing I like about the Fiocchis is that they take a roll crimp really nicely even after they have been fold crimped. Not all hulls will do this. Roll crimping, according to BPI, gives you about a 1500 unit pressure relief over the fold crimps used. To me that translates into more velocity with less pressure and gives you some leeway.

I have heard good things about the Federal 12S3 and 12S4 wads, but have chosen to build loads using hard cardboard wads with a plastic gas sealer.. I picked up an ample supply of them from one of the members here. BPI has replacements when that runs out. I have taken a break developing stuff due to duck season but I will probably start my research up late this spring again. I had been working on a load with Rex 1, 19.5 gr with a Lee 1 oz Key slug and was getting about 1250 fps fairly regularly.. though accuracy had been mediocre. Primers seem to matter more for cold weather it seems. I recently substituted Rio 209's in a load that called for Winchester 209's and with the cold weather I was shooting it, well, let's say the Rio's didn't have enough spark and the load went "poof" though I'm not certain it was the primer's fault.. I have not had time to fire the same loads at a higher ambient temp to see if that was the issue. Load was Alliant Steel, 1 1/8 oz of Steel shot, LBC 43 wads, and Kent Hulls (Which are supposed to be the same as Cheddites..). It was listed for use with Cheddites in the BP manual.. so we'll see..