Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to identify once fired brass

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar

How to identify once fired brass

I'm an old hand at range pickups but still get fooled occasionally on the once fired issue. I know from the general run of overall questions some gnubies just don't know and this looked like a good place to provide some advice.

There is security in most once fired brass. Not so in some pickups.

Personally I wreck my discards or more commonly now use my scrap bucket. The best brass to find is from the felow that puts the fired brass back in the box and leaves it on the bench to be found. It is easy to be pretty sure with a quick visual inspection. The next is when there are cases left at the bench that look new, and with 30-30 and others I can see that and confirm by feeling the factory crimp with a fingernail, because most reloaders would trim or remove the crimp with a champfer before reloading.

Would anyone else contribute to this? BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    i have a couple of simple things that most don't get.
    two of my ranges only allows NEW AMMO, or blackhills reman 223. since the reman 223 is typically current lake city brass and the full reman, i still sell as once fired, tho i tell the buyer.

a couple of my ranges have rules that minimize the use of reloads.

so its fairly easy for me.

look for mismatched primers to brass maker, reamed primer pockets on 223 brass, any common mil brass without a crimp, marks on the case from sizing, powder residue in the extractor groove.

just a couple

mike in co
    THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY
    only accurate rifles are interesting

They are all once fired!!

theoretically they cannot be twice fired until they are reloaded

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelandangan View Post

They are all once fired!!

theoretically they cannot be twice fired until they are reloaded
    thats the kind of statement that cause heartache in the brass sales business......

sorry not funny from my side of the street.

mike in co

I think it would be an interesting experiment to see if anyone could tell if brass was once, twice, three or more times fired. Unless you see it come out of a factory sealed box, fired in a weapon and then you pick it off the ground i think you are guessing.
    Semper Fi

Not Always

Quote Originally Posted by danski26 View Post
    I think it would be an interesting experiment to see if anyone could tell if brass was once, twice, three or more times fired. Unless you see it come out of a factory sealed box, fired in a weapon and then you pick it off the ground i think you are guessing.

It's usually not that difficult to look at a case and determine whether or not it has ever been resized. If it has not, it is either once fired or never fired. Now, if it has ever been resized, the number of times it has been sized is a matter of pure conjecture.

I pick up a lot of pistol and rifle brass at the range. I pass on any rifle brass that has ever been resized, which means that I am taking home once fired brass. If you can't already tell the difference, a written explanation will not suffice.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    It's usually not that difficult to look at a case and determine whether or not it has ever been resized. If it has not, it is either once fired or never fired. Now, if it has ever been resized, the number of times it has been sized is a matter of pure conjecture.

I pick up a lot of pistol and rifle brass at the range. I pass on any rifle brass that has ever been resized, which means that I am taking home once fired brass. If you can't already tell the difference, a written explanation will not suffice.
    right,
    its new, once fired or trash.....

Cadillo,

Thank you for your comment. If you are willing to take a "pepsi" challenge. I will send you 5 cases. 4 will be once fired or new and one will be many fired. I challenge you to pick out the many fired piece. PM me with your address and we will post the findings here. Should be fun! Baron.....I'll extend the same offer to you because you started this thread.

Also....no micrometers allowed. Just what you would have with you at the range whe you pick up the brass or your at home instpection techniques.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Master

Most once fired pistol brass is still clean on the inside. Unless multifired brass is washed prior to reloading it will be dark inside.That was taught to me at an indoor range I worked at part time. I also look for a ring where the sizing die stops resizing the case.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I mean they either have die marks on them or they don't. How many guys size cases and then polish them after?? enjoy Mike

Boolit Buddy

I agree with deltaenterprizes. I can tell a lot by conditions inside the case.

But this discussion makes me wonder - is it possible to remove all the residue from the case's inside and make it bright and shiny like it's new?

Quote Originally Posted by Freischütz View Post

But this discussion makes me wonder - is it possible to remove all the residue from the case's inside and make it bright and shiny like it's new?

I have rinsed brass in Acetone to clean the "black" out of my dirtiest cases.

I consider most brass that I pick up at the range "Once Fired" - a re-loader would not have left it behind!
    (My theory)

AC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acoilfld View Post
    I have rinsed brass in Acetone to clean the "black" out of my dirtiest cases.

I consider most brass that I pick up at the range "Once Fired" - a re-loader would not have left it behind!
    (My theory)

AC
    no but a "shooter" can "buy" reloaded ammo, and leave the brass.
    OR
    a reloader considers it worn out, and just leaves it.......

die marks are a big give away.
    polishing does not remove it all

i sell to comercial reloaders.....i know at least one that uses a wash system....that brass is CLEAN!

mike in co
    THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Boolit Master

The wet media tubs will clean inside the cases as well as the outside.

If straight walled gets by the inspection I can tell work hardened brass when it hits the sizing die !!
    GP100man

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Once fired brass usually lets you see where the primer anvil was sitting in the pocket when you removed the primer, right? , Pocket not totally dirty, right? What is another sign ? BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    I do "wash" some of my brass, usually my bench rest brass and some of my 45-70 and .45 Colt brass. I use my ultra sonic cleaner to wash the brass, and they look new when I finish, no carbon around the neck, primer pocket or inside case. I clean the cases so I can inspect easily, or because I have fired BP in the brass. I will never knowingly leave any of my brass on the range, if I can find it. In most cases if the brass has been reloaded you can see die marks on the brass, but some neck sizing dies leave almost no telltale signs. If I am not sure I will clean the brass and look for any signs of incipient head separation and I will mic the bases. If still in doubt, it goes into the scrap brass bucket.

G

Boolit Master

Sorry to hijack your thread Baron, BUT:
    By mike in co: a couple of my ranges have rules that minimize the use of reloads
    Could you elaborate a little more on that statement. Do they sell factory ammo or what. What kind of range would "minimize" the use of reloads? HMMMM...dale

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Freischütz View Post

Yes it is, a commercial reloader friend of mine had a process to do that, he called it"washing". I thought he was telling a story so when I found some of his ammo at the indoor range, I took it home and pulled the bullet and it was as clean inside as outside, but not polished inside.
    He told me how to do it. It takes a lot of time with multiple tumbling in a couple of wet media, one was an acid.

Range's insurance companies are concerned about liability from accidents caused by improperly reloaded ammo on their property.
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 01-22-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread Baron, BUT:
    By mike in co: a couple of my ranges have rules that minimize the use of reloads
    Could you elaborate a little more on that statement. Do they sell factory ammo or what. What kind of range would "minimize" the use of reloads? HMMMM...dale
    thier call on the ammo you shoot at thier range. they inspect all incomming ammo.
    two of the ranges do not allow any exposed lead.......so no cast boolits.....
    that would be a significant part of reloaded ammo........
    again, because of insurance...their call, no arguments.

ohhh, by the way a customer on thier rifle range took in a single round of ap to see how it shot. it shot right thru the back interior wall, thru the bullet collector, and into an exhaust fan......his bill was something close to $10,000.

mike in co

Boolit Master
    It is very rare to find a good piece of re loadable brass at the range I am a member of, so if you find some lying around be very Leary of it as it is more than likely trash.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast