Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: As-cast Boolit Lee Alox Lubing Once or Twice?

Boolit Bub

As-cast Boolit Lee Alox Lubing Once or Twice?

Just a fast question... If I'm going to shoot as-cast boolits without sizing them down (don't need to) and use Lee tumble lube, do you need to tumble them twice with drying in between or just once? I know that you need to TL boolits prior to sizing for lubing the sizer. And again afterward to add TL to the boolit that was scraped off during the sizing process. But, what about if you just shoot them as-cast? Thanks in advance.

Boolit Mold
    Just once does it for me...

Boolit Master

I usually apply two light coats rather than one thicker one. It dries better and doesn't gum up the dies too badly that way.

I have a dedicated plastic 1/2 gal ice cream container which I have been using for years. I throw in a big pile of boolits into it and add a small teaspoon of LLA and put on the cover. A minute or so of violent agitation and then I dump them out onto a metal pan covered with wax paper. I let them dry overnight or if I am in a hurry I put a small fan on them. Once dry I throw them back in for another coating.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Bub
    Well, I guess I'll try lubing once, go shooting and see what happens...

Thanks for the info. Best regards. Red

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    I usually apply two light coats rather than one thicker one. It dries better and doesn't gum up the dies too badly that way.
    Same thing here. Two light coats go on more even than one heavy coat.

Boolit Grand Master
    I size TL boolits for consistency, then lube... One light coat is plenty.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

YMMV. Sometimes one coat will do, but I spice my LLA up a bit with JPW. It's so fast and easy to do two coats Recluse's way (see Sticky) I do it whether the load will work with one coat or not. I size everything between coats whether it needs it or not as well.

Gear

For handgun bullets that don't need sizing, I frankly cannot tell the difference between one coat and two - or between straight LLA and the popular LLA/JPW/MS mix.