Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RCE Presses

Boolit Master

You will hear the same from those who buy form any of the swaging press makers. It is a market that could be open for the upstart, much like the making of bullet moulds.

One might have to be careful with the corbin or rce designs as they could be patented.

I have an old SAS swaging press that most likely is not covered at this time, unless it is covered under the corbin mightymite as it is the predecessor to that press. I also have a csp-1 press but the whole patent infringement and legal issues bothers me.

I also think that someone making dies we can afford would be nice. They most likely do not need to be precision bench rest dies that cost thousands of dollars as most of us need something to get started with.

Boolit Master

Blackmon's horizontal(like the old SAS?) press is reasonable and so are his dies, but he's way behind last I heard. His conversion approach to old RC could be done for the Lee Classic Cast maybe ? A kit with .224 dies would be a hit if Lee would make 'em !
    Probably wouldn't work as well with .30 and larger jacketed bullets though.
    For sure there are people on this board that could do it if they could make $$ !

I haven't studied it extensively, but the WH press looks like a pretty simple deal. I'm sure it's top quality, but I think it could be used as a starting point. Maybe we come up with some simpler design or something.
    Looks to me that the two most complicated pieces are the ram (due to threading, etc) and the toggle (part where the handle attaches to the ram). They would both need some milling. The rest are pretty simple parts that we could take dimensions to the local machine shop and have them cut out in a day.
    If all we did was distribute dimensions, would that be a violation of the patent?

If I had dimensions, I know I could have my local machine shop build this tomorrow. It might cost me $500, but at this point, I'm ready to spend it.
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

Boolit Buddy
    I definately think a more value priced setup is called for. I don't need bench rest .224 plinking rounds. I need to pick up the .22lr brass and turn that into afordable ammo. Spending $800 for the dies to make plinking ammo doesn't make sense.
    I have 1 benchrest/F Class rifle. For that I will buy commercial jacketed bullets. For everything else I want to make the bullet affordably.

Crisx1 if you had a machine shop that would make these I think you could sell more than a few on here... I never took the plunge into swaging because of the wait and expense invloved.

How would we figure out if that press is patented?

I don't want to get into a nest of rattlesnakes here (patent violations), but I'm tired of waiting around.
    NRA Life Member

"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed that Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, where the Governments are afraid to trust their people with arms." - James Madison.

One other option that I just thought about.

What if we approached Richard with a group buy? We get 10 or 20 sold and take that order to him. Maybe it would move us to the front of the line?

Just thinking out loud here.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    So if you get the presses made then what? You wont be able to get any tooling for it.
    I got a WH press from him a couple years ago but still have not gotten any dies from him.
    All I got was a core swage die and a bunch of excuses.
    Dave is expensive but he has ready to go what he offers, and he will return all contacts either phone calls or email. Richard has caused me more aggravation than I am willing to deal with.
    BIC/BS

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    Blackmon's horizontal(like the old SAS?) press is reasonable and so are his dies, but he's way behind last I heard. !
    ...........I don't believe he makes swaging equipment any longer.

I can't concieve of WHAT on a swage press there is that could be patented? EVERYBODY uses the toggle linkage on their reloading presses, and it's what you'd use on a swage press. You can't patent threads because they're not new and unusual. You can't patent a stationary die and a moving base punch, or vice versa.

Neither can I see that the die or basepunch platten moving up and down on guide rods would be patentable either. Forster uses them on their Co-Ax press, so does Saeco one thier lube/size press, and CH has used it for years on some of their "H" presses.

Nowhere on the RCE Ent website is there any notification of anything being patent protected, and I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to simply ask.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I remember seeing a picture of a bullet swaging press Ferris Pindell made, it was a horizontal one. He as I recall just took a huge block of steel, and cut a rectangular opening in it, and went from there.

If somebody would post more pictures from more angles of their press, I would have a better idea what we are dealing with here.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    So if you get the presses made then what?
    I plan on making my own dies, or at least trying.

Boolit Master

Agreed, I will make my own dies too.

Honestly the RCE prices are very reasonable. $250 for a press sounds like a lot, but that would only buy you about 2 hours labor from a good sized machine shop, maybe 3 hours from a small to mid sized shop that uses cnc equipment. That includes nothing for materials.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master

OK guys I will try to get you some pictures of different angles this week end of the csp-1. You can look at the pictures in Buchshot's old posts on his Wlanut Hill ( very nice press by the way).

There is an old thread on a press made form a large hex on this site. I too agree the pres sis most likely the easy part, the dies are a bit more difficult. I bought a lathe instead of buying a set of dies. I am not even close to making my own dies, but I am having alot of of fun with a new hobby!

If you can wait a few days I will put some pictures up.

Boolit Master

if you can, move the lever partway thru the stroke for some of the pictures, looking at the thing from the front it is hard to see the moving parts, it all sort of blends together .
    Both ends WHAT a player

Quote Originally Posted by Willbird View Post
    Honestly the RCE prices are very reasonable. $250 for a press sounds like a lot, but that would only buy you about 2 hours labor from a good sized machine shop, maybe 3 hours from a small to mid sized shop that uses cnc equipment. That includes nothing for materials.

Bill
    I couldn't agree more - $250 is more than fair, but if he never ships it, it doesn't matter what the price is. It would undoubtedly cost more to make it at a machine shop, but at least you would know the thing was going to be made, and that you would get to take possession of it soon.

I would probably give Richard $500 if he would ship one to me tomorrow.

Chris
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Willbird,

What you asked is what I had planned. No good to give you advertising shots, you need photos with information.

Boolit Master
    Here is a page on Dave Corbins with a lot of good info.

http://www.corbins.com/csp-spec.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Walnut Hill press for many years. The only thing I use it for is paper patch bullets for the .45-70. My understanding is that the more you call Richard the slower he is. A friend bought one a couple of years ago and I don't recall the wait to be excessive. He is the one who told me if you left Richard alone he would get the work done.

Boolit Mold
    I got a Walnuthill it too about 5 months to get. It showed up just before Christmas. I would call Richard and ask him, he is now has a cnc shop helping him so he can get thing moving faster.

Boolit Master

ANeat,

that is the basics of the top half of the press. the part not shown is the linkage. I will try to get some pictures up this weekend.

Boolit Master

csp-1 pics

here you go, you should get a good idea of the sizeand operation of the scp-1 from these. You can see the two settign for the ram on the link in photos 1,2, and 5. 1 is ram in down position, 2 is half way through stroke, 3 and 4 are full up front view, 5 is side view half whay through only left side of press
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0216.JPG   DSC_0217.jpg   DSC_0223.jpg   DSC_0222.jpg   DSC_0227.jpg  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast