Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: -My bear fat-

Boolit Master

-My bear fat-

No it's not on my but! Ha,Ha,

Well men I rendered down a little bear fat and got 22 OZ's of nice white clean stuf.
    I know many houshold uses for it,and I know it is good for my smoke pole lube and for patch lube.
    What I was thinking was is it a thing to try for smokless powder bullet lube
    I am aware that it could get rancid if left to long. Just wondering if you all had any thoughts on this.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Moderator Emeritus

I've heard good reports for pie crusts and boot dressing.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I've heard of people canning it.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

I just rendered some grizzly fat a couple of weeks back, it was a nice clear liquid about the color of canola oil. It does make some super boot wax when mixed 1/4 cappings grade beeswax to 3/4 bear oil, and I've also heard it makes the best flaky pastry anywhere. Can't vouch for the pastry, but he local grey foxes went nuts over the "cracklins" I put out for them!

I use bear oil for preserving bores in rust-prone guns, haven't found anything better. As for smokeless lube, I've never tried it, but it's bound to work just fine, just don't overdo it. You might try just adding about two tablespoons to a half-pound of beewax and maybe throw in a tablespoon of castor oil as well, just don't add any petroleum products if you use castor as it will sweat out of the finished lube. You might also try a teaspoon or so of grated Ivory soap in the mix as a binder.

I've heard, but can't verify, that if the bear oil/grease is mixed with beeswax or other wax it becomes "captured" molecularly and is thus protected from oxidation/rancidity, so it may be that boolit lube made from it wouldn't go bad.

If you try it, let us know how it turns out!

Gear

Don't use animal fat as a waterproofing dressing for boots. It will become rancid and weaken the leather of your nice boots.

I used to do the same, until a leathersmith friend at Danner Boots clued me in. Been there, done that-- but never again.

Use one of the commercially-available beeswax-based synthetic waterproof boot dressings, or make your own beeswaxed-based dressing, but steer-clear of animal fats and seed oils that have a shelf-life. Just a word to the wise.

Chicken fat and tallow work fine as low-temp bullet lubes, and bear fat seems like it would work fine too.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I wouldn't waste it on lube. As has been said, it is the best thing to use for baking.
    I am a closet chef, and have used it quite a bit the past year. Snickerdoodles come out light as a feather. Last week I made two batches of brownies. One with bear oil, one with vegatable oil. The bear oil made a far superior brownie. I have also used it in corn bread, and it melts in your mouth.
    I made a post last year on here about shooting a bear, and saying I would never shoot another. Well, I take that back, as I would shoot one, just for the bear fat for cooking.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!