RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: MEC 600's ID

Question MEC 600's ID

After all is said and done; doing my homework and being educated by everyone here, I went to the gunshop today and found the Mec press to be a 20 gauge! Bummer!! I did however come home with an old Pacific DL-105 with 6 assorted powder/shot bushings.

I know of a Mec reloader at a local gunshop which I now think is pretty reasonable. The foil nameplate was ripped off and I didn't take pics last week like I should have. I think it is a 600 or maybe a VersaMec.

How do I distinguish it from being a:
    600 Jr (Pre 1982)
    600 Jr (1982-1985)
    600 Jr Mark Five (1985- present) which I doubt at this price
    VersaMec (1982-1985)
    700 VersaMec (Pre 1982)

They all look the same to me. I have printed parts diagrams to compare, but what are the differences and what to look for?
    Last edited by cheese1566; 01-16-2010 at 07:19 PM.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Not a lot of difference between the 600 and the 700. My Versa Mec had the remnants of a primer feed on it. There is a difference in the decap assy's and the priming punch. But have no idea of which time period the changes were made. Parts will interchange between the 600 and 700.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Studying the parts listings and manuals, it looks like the VersaMec was a step up from the 600 during the 80's then was dropped into the 600 Mark 5. Only thing I see is maybe a different "ejector" for removing the shell from the sizer.
    It looks like the difference in years (pre-1982 vs 1982-1985) in the 600 and VersaMec is the base assembly construction and how the finger wad guide is attached.

I am really only looking for a basic unit so I guess any of these will work for me.

Is there a Mec unit to shy away from in the 600's or VersaMec?

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri
    The Pre-1982 600s had metal crimp dies and a metal, multi-piece wad finger holder.

Personally, I prefer these older models; .....but all of the 600s were good, solid presses.

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    The early models did not have the spindex crimp starter. One had to turn the hull to align the petals with the folds.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud