MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2010 nevada cast bullet shoot

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    What direction from town is the range? Is it near the creek just south of town and up the mountain.
    Ward (aka quilbilly)
    .............You go north out of town on 95, out past the Veteran's Park and the old range to the road to the landfill (a left turn). Follow it up the hill and just past the landfill the entire valley below and off to the right is the new range facility.

This was it while they were still pushing dirt for it. Now it's a completed facility.

This is just the new 100 yard rifle range.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    BruceB,
    I promised that I would let you know - Our camp is now 4 people instead of 2.

Man, am I looking forward to this!!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Made in U.S.A.
    BruceB

PM sent.

Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Master

WHEN (date) is this event being held???

Boolit Master
    atr,
    This is from the first post in the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Yep, it's that time again...announcing the dates for NCBS 2010.

The Shoot will be held the weekend BEFORE Memorial Day, which falls on May 31. Therefore, May 21-22-23 will be the appointed time.

snip...

We look forward to seeing everyone who can possibly make it.

Bruce

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Well, my wife and I are still trying to figure our whether this event can be financed. I'm casting in the eventuality that it can. Maybe I'll see you all there! Back to casting.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master

Smile

I just made my reservation to attend. We will be at the Scottish Inn where we have stayed several times for rockhounding and occasional photography events. It is across the street from the Griddle Restaurant (great breakfasts) and three blocks from Ormacheas.
    The Inn is older but comfortable and is economical ($49/night). Rooms are available as of today (3/30).
    Now the question is how many rounds to bring for each firearm. Hmmmm?

Boolit Mold
    In them western days, how'd they do it?, I mean that accuratly shoot a silver coin in the sky?,were their barrels rifled?, I assume at that time frame there were not copper jacketed bullets.

Wish this global warming would hurry up and melt so I can get to the range and do some tests. May is rapidly approaching and I haven't been able to go shoot out there in the mud and snow. Reminds me of the last time I and Jane got to do this. Everything all happens within one week. Don't ya just love to be rushed?........Walt

Banned

This is one of these years when next week it will be summer. No spring fun.

Boolit Master

Hey guys,

Been reading about this shindig you folks put on and it sounds like a real good time.
    I'm hoping to make it out there but I'm not 100% positive I'll be able to do so. In fact, since I'm looking for work, I may not know for sure until Wed. the 19th.
    That being said though, I have made reservations for the dates involved. I can always cancel if needed.
    I guess I better get my hairy white butt into reloading and casting mode starting tomorrow!
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Latest update: I'll be there!

I'm coming by myself, so it's going to be a long drive with no company. The wife has to stay home and tend the grandkids.

I'll see you all there sometime Friday afternoon. I'll be leaving Vegas about 7:00 AM Friday morning. Don't know how long it will take to get there.

Any suggestions on how many rounds to bring? I'll be shooting .357 from one or more revolvers and .45 Colt from a revolver and a Winchester 94. I could easily shoot them all up in an hour or so, but I'd prefer to have them last through the weekend.

Regards and see you there,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    Latest update: I'll be there!

I'm coming by myself, so it's going to be a long drive with no company. The wife has to stay home and tend the grandkids.

I'll see you all there sometime Friday afternoon. I'll be leaving Vegas about 7:00 AM Friday morning. Don't know how long it will take to get there.

Any suggestions on how many rounds to bring? I'll be shooting .357 from one or more revolvers and .45 Colt from a revolver and a Winchester 94. I could easily shoot them all up in an hour or so, but I'd prefer to have them last through the weekend.

Regards and see you there,

Stew
    ...............Stew, the only 2 events that are "Ammo Intensive" are the Team Pistol and Team Rifle shoots. Now if all your shots hit, neither may be so ammo intensive We'll sure be glad to see you there. BTW, I've found the best firearm to use for the Team Pistol event is a swingout cylinder revolver. Now if you're very adept at reloading a magazine you might want to go that route too.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

The .357s I'll be bringing are Smith M586s. The Ruger and Winchester are a lot of fun, so I'll be bringing them for that reason, but the Winchester is the also easiest rifle I have to deal with cast boolits. I don't expect to walk away with any prizes for my shooting. I'm going for the fellowship more than anything else, and for a chance to get out of town for a while.

Anyone know how long it takes to drive up from Vegas? My map program gives me a clue, but I'd like to hear from someone who has done it.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Stew View Post
    The .357s I'll be bringing are Smith M586s. The Ruger and Winchester are a lot of fun, so I'll be bringing them for that reason, but the Winchester is the also easiest rifle I have to deal with cast boolits. I don't expect to walk away with any prizes for my shooting. I'm going for the fellowship more than anything else, and for a chance to get out of town for a while.

Anyone know how long it takes to drive up from Vegas? My map program gives me a clue, but I'd like to hear from someone who has done it.

Regards,

Stew
    whmmmmmm them roads gonna be open ???

8-9 hours......

if it did not go so east i'd do 15 to 80....

longer, but better roads(??) and higher speeds....

( leave earlier, get there for lunch and setup, take a nap...come out to the rools meeting dinner....)

mike in co( i use 25 n and 80 w)
    ps its unlikey you can bring too much ammo...
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    mike in co( i use 25 n and 80 w)
    Just curious Mike...you go up I-25 to Cheyenne and pick up I-80 there?
    I usually do I-25 to Fort Collins, thru town, then take US 287 to Laramie and pick up I-80 there.
    It's about 20 miles shorter but it is NOT any faster than staying on the interstate.
    You also have to be careful on 287. (I'm sure you know that though...)
    Seems like every time I drive that stretch, I see at least one idiot who passes on a double yellow approaching the crest of a hill.
    Hmmm, may have just talked myself into using the interstate from now on.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
    Just curious Mike...you go up I-25 to Cheyenne and pick up I-80 there?
    I usually do I-25 to Fort Collins, thru town, then take US 287 to Laramie and pick up I-80 there.
    It's about 20 miles shorter but it is NOT any faster than staying on the interstate.
    You also have to be careful on 287. (I'm sure you know that though...)
    Seems like every time I drive that stretch, I see at least one idiot who passes on a double yellow approaching the crest of a hill.
    Hmmm, may have just talked myself into using the interstate from now on.
    MY POOR LITTLE CAR GETS GOOD GAS MILEAGE AT HIGH SPEEDS.

as in 30-31 at 90.....now i dont drive that fast....lol....but i like faster continous speeds over slightly shorter.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    whmmmmmm them roads gonna be open ???

8-9 hours......

if it did not go so east i'd do 15 to 80....

longer, but better roads(??) and higher speeds....

ps its unlikey you can bring too much ammo...
    Microsoft Streets & Trips estimates about 9 hours. My only concerns about the roads are the one section where the elevation is over 7,000 feet, and small towns with hidden speed limit signs and concealed cops. As long as there are no storms while I'm going through there and as long as I pay attention, it should be an easy trip.

I've been up 15 before, and am coming back that way, as I'll be visiting some friends near Salt Lake. I've never been through the middle of Nevada before, so I'm looking forward to the "scenery", whatever that turns out to be.

I'm not worried about taking too much ammo, rather too little. I think I have the quantities figured out. All I have to do is load it. I'm about 1/3 finished with that task.

See y'all there.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"

On Heaven's Range

For all practical purposes, there ARE really no towns.

If you do encounter a small outpost of civilization, you will see its few trees from about 20 miles away. This drive is mostly through open desert, and the human population is THIN!!!!

Bringing "extra" ammo costs nothing more than the components to load it. You may be surprised at the consumption rate, especially when others want to try out your artillery. There's a lot of swapping back and forth. However, IF you run out, there will be all sorts of other firearms to shoot, admire, and discuss, and someone will doubtless have some ammunition if needed as well.

Everyone should be aware that competition is not the main purpose of this shivaree. Its purpose is safe FUN, entertainment, interaction with others of like mind and interest....often, there's no shooting going on at all, because the discussions and tall tales have taken precedence for a while.

Soooo.....bring enough ammo to fire the events in which you may have an interest, plus at least 200% for "incidentals".

Just a bit over two weeks, folks!
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Wink

To our friend from Colorado,
    8 hours from Las Vegas seems about right but I recommend taking some time to look at the scenery. Take the road that goes north from Tonopah up the Smokey Valley passing Round Mountain. As you drive up that road you will be passing but not seeing the outflows of several fine trout streams like Jett Creek. Also, if you are interested in a little quick rockhounding for some small pieces of fine agate, carnelian and jasper, you might make a quick stop about 4-5 miles up from the turnoff from hwy 6. Very nice tumbling material. Go under the antelope fence on the west side of the road and just look down. I find the milkshakes at the burger place in Austin to be quite tasty. Austin is about 2-1/2 hours out from Winnemucca.
    have a great trip and drive safe. Quilbilly (aka Ward)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast