RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Barrel polishing

Barrel polishing

I found a slick trick for polishing rusted round barrels.
    I use my wood lathe. I make appropriate plugs from hard wood and place them in each end of the barrel. Chuck it up and turn @300 rpm.
    I then use cocus cloth in progressive finer grits until the rust pits are gone. I then polish in the conventional way on the buffer. This also works really well for removing draw filing marks.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

After you profile a barrel on the lathe, do the same thing and use an angle grinder with sandpaper discs to remove the lathe tool marks, then polish normally. I have my wood lathe set up with delrin points on both ends and just run them in the bore. (usually crown and chamber afterwards anyhow.)

Boolit Master
    I've been threatening to buy a wood lathe to polish barrels with, to save the ways on my metal lathe, for several years. I draw file and use a one inch belt sander and various grit belts. The problem is space. You would think with nearly 1000 square feet of shop/garage I could find room. Guess I should have built a bigger shop.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Banned

I do the same thing but it is amazing how long it takes to remove marks and pits. Also a huge pile of emery strips.
    I wonder how a grit loaded buff in an electric drill would work?