RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackpowder shotshell data

Boolit Master

OOPS! Used the wrong Dram....Dram it!

To cut off shotshells to any length you can take a dowel and a carpet knife. Spin the shell on the dowel and cut it at the length you want. Works pretty good to get rid of crimps for roll crimping also. I amde one a little more elaborate, similar to the shotshell dismantler sold by Ballistic Products for about $40.00. No time to play with the camera but have a short plant shutdown coming up and want to do so.

Northmn

Boolit Mold
    i like to hunt with all three; brass, plastic and full brass for black powder, in 16 and 12 gauge. i reload shells with antique loading tools i pick up at gun shows. for 12 gauge its 3 drams of powder, an over powder card ,a fiber wad,1 1/8 oz of shot then a overshot card, then a roll crimp and maybe some water glass. with a 16 gauge , its 2 3/4 grams and 7/8 to 1 oz shot. clays, rabbits, squirrels,pheasant,ducks and quail.

Boolit Master

I use Herco powder in the brass cases. Otherwise, I use a similar shot column.

Boolit Master
    I have a DAMASCSE 16 gauge DBL. and want a light load for it with all brass MAG-TEC hulls. and what size over powder- cushion wads and over shot cards do I need? do I use 1 1/2fg or 2fg in them?

Boolit Grand Master

Take a look here:

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

There should be some useful info I think.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I have a DAMASCSE 16 gauge DBL. and want a light load for it with all brass MAG-TEC hulls. and what size over powder- cushion wads and over shot cards do I need? do I use 1 1/2fg or 2fg in them?
    Any granulation is just fine. The difference between 1.5F and 2F is so minor as to not even worry about it in a shotgun. The classic 16 gauge load is 1 oz lead shot and 2 1/2 drams powder. 2 1/2 drams is 68 grains, round to 70 grains. The recommended over powder wads for a 16 gauge MagTec brass case is 14 gauge. It is recommended to use a 13 gauge overshot card. You do not need to fill the case completely up to the top if you don't want. It used to be done that way and they would crimp the top of the case, but I'm assuming you are going to be doing the more common today method of gluing in your overshot card. I would recommend you try 70gr powder (either granulation), two 14ga nitro cards, 1 oz lead shot, and a 13 gauge overshot card glued in. Don't worry about any spacers, I think you will find just the nitro cards will do the best job. Don't be afraid to experiment though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12