RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: star lubesizer

Boolit Buddy

star lubesizer

I have been interested in getting a star lubesizer. With 3 closing on ebay in the next day or two I thought maybe now was the time. However 2 are already over $200 and the second bidder on those is also the second bidder on the third so I expect it to go over $200 also. A new one is $250 so the savings would be less than $50 buying used.

So the question is: Are the lubesizers being produced by Magma/star today any better or worse quality than vintage ones produced by star?

Banned

not even that once you figure in shipping.

Andy

Boolit Master

I have 1 new one and 2 older ones, and they all work exactly the same. Buy a new one and you will know what you are geting. I have bought 2 other used ones that I sold 'cause they were just too beat up, despite what the seller said on e-bay.

Boolit Buddy

star lubesizer

Thanks for the info Springfield.

Boolit Master
    Yes, this one is a no-brainer, pay 90% new price for a used machine in ????? shape, or buy a brand new machine. Of course in this case the only way to go is new....and you know that your investment holds its value very well.

lathesmith

I got one on Ebay a year ago for $175. It was about $200 with shipping. Upon opening the package, I took the plunger out and realized there were no innards in it. I took a washer and cut it down to proper diameter so it will fit in the tube to apply pressure. I have to pull that washer out with 2 long picks whenever I need to add lube. For $50, it would have been well worth the hassle I am putting up with now, and I would have a factory fresh unit with 100% tolerances, instead of a machine that has seen better days.

This being said, I still think it is the best sizer on the market, and I wouldn't sell mine. Just watch out for Ebay. My seller bought it at an estate sale and didn't know anything about casting. Sale was as is.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lathesmith View Post
    Yes, this one is a no-brainer, pay 90% new price for a used machine in ????? shape, or buy a brand new machine. Of course in this case the only way to go is new....and you know that your investment holds its value very well.

lathesmith
    That's just pure common sense.

More common sense is that after you get your new Star Lubrisizer the place to get your dies is from Lathesmith. He makes first rate Star dies far cheaper than from Magma.

Quote Originally Posted by starbits View Post
    So the question is: Are the lubesizers being produced by Magma/star today any better or worse quality than vintage ones produced by star?
    The only difference I'm aware of is an "O" ring seal on the dies. The rest of the machine is made to the same specs as Star Machine Works in San Diego, Magma didn't change anything else. Any replacement parts by Magma will fit the older machine.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 01-10-2010 at 02:18 AM.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    The big issue with e bay is the "opertunity" sellers! They know what something is worth have no clue how it works!

My limit on a used Star sizer would be 150 to 175, depending on how it was equipped. After that buy new!

I will tell you that you won't be disapointed once you work through the learning curve on the Star. If you've used other sizers like the Lyman the "curve" will be about a week to ten days, if you've never had a sizer it will be about 2 days or less if you read the instructions.

Don't know why that is, it just seems to be that way judging from questions asked on this forum.

I bought a new one from magma about 9 months ago and I love IT! Got my dies from lathesmith and I haven't looked back! I can tell you that you will not be disapointed!
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Boolit Buddy

star lubesizer

Usually if I am going to buy used it has to be pretty cheap, less than $150 in this case. If I can't steal it I'd rather buy new. Which is why I asked the question in case quality has gone down the tubes like I have been reading about one of the mold makers here. Glad to hear it hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    More common sense is that after you get your new Star Lubrisizer the place to get your dies is from Lathesmith. He makes first rate Star dies far cheaper than from Magma.
    I had already read enough compliments to make Lathesmith my first contact for dies when I need them.

Thanks everyone.

Starbits.

Banned

i got a new one this summer after the fire and I cant see the differnce in it and my old ones.

Boolit Bub
    I got a new one last summer and once I got it figured out I sold my SAECO for about 100.00 then sold my old SAECO dies etc for another 100 or so.
    I love the new Star. Get my dies from Lathesmith also. Great guy to deal with. Well woth the 250.00 I paid.

Frosted Boolits

Another vote for buying new and get your dies and other accessories from Lathesmith. Top notch stuff. I own his dies, top punches, locking nuts with setscrews, and his roller handle (a must!) and it is all great stuff! Good luck!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of stuff on eBay goes for MORE than full-boat retail, very hard to figure. One explanation
    is foreign buyers where the local dealer price is 2-3 times the USA retail, so paying 20% over
    USA retail makes some sense for them. However, for Americans this stuff is just insane.

Of course, there is always the risk that you will get something less than it was described to
    be, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    I've just bought a new lubrisiser from Magma and am having problems getting it to work properly. I'm sizing .357 and it takes enormous pressure, enough to flex the handle bar, to get the bullet sized in the die. This is true for both bullets cast saeco and lee moulds. The ram passes easily through the die so it's not a binding problem.

Cast Boolits Owner

Lube your die. There is lube in it from the point of the lube holes down but try adding some type of lube above the holes and see what happens.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by vegplot View Post
    I've just bought a new lubrisiser from Magma and am having problems getting it to work properly. I'm sizing .357 and it takes enormous pressure, enough to flex the handle bar, to get the bullet sized in the die. This is true for both bullets cast saeco and lee moulds. The ram passes easily through the die so it's not a binding problem.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

The easiest way to lube the die is to just run a lubed bullet through it. If I am sizing down more than 4 thou I run a lubed bullet through about every 12-20 bullets. Less than that and I usually don't need to do anything. New dies can also be worse for this until you get a buch of bullets through it and polish the bore a bit.

Boolit Grand Master

vegplot, welcome to Castboolits

I use Hornady's "Unique" case lube, a little tub of white . . . ?? Stuff. I just keep a very small amount on my fingers and simply handling the boolits to drop them into the die is all it takes.

What size (diameter as cast) and what alloy are you trying to size?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Got mine new about a month ago, got the last one they had then and they said it would be about a month before they got another batch in. I orderd the Air Lube feed and their heated base. Works AWESOME with hard lube. Bought a die and L handle from Lathesmith and they work great as well. Sized and lubed about 500 last night waiting on the Lee pots to heat up. Works fast and turns out a very nicely lubed boolit.

To start out the first boolit I give a light coat of Dawn Dish Washing liquid. Then about every 15 boolits I re-run one of the lubed ones. Works out well for me.

Glenn

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by vegplot View Post
    I am by no means an expert on the Magma, the learning curve is steep. Do you have a heater? If so, turn the heater on and walk away for 20-30 minutes. Enormous pressure should not be required. I have to constantly remind myself not to increase pressure. Do a search on the lubsizer because a while back I stumbled on one and some great advice was given which assisted myself. Good luck and feel free to pm me and I will try to help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast