Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally picked up some lead

Boolit Grand Master

Finally picked up some lead

I've been having terrible luck getting lead recently. No one here wants to give/sell wheel weights anymore.

Anyway, I shoot ICORE when I can and a club I was at in February had a sign up on their indoor range "Free lead, just ask". I wasn't prepared to pick any up at the time and the club is an hour and a half drive up a toll road, so I just filed the info away. I shot another match there today and came prepared. After the match I hauled out 5 buckets of range scrap. It feels good to finally get a little more insurance in the garage.

BTW, a '93 Mustang doesn't make a very good pickup truck....

Boolit Master
    I once hauled 4 buckets of WW in a 90 suzuki sidekick. It doesnt make a truck eaither! ....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    My dad has a sammuri, smaller than a side kick. He had to unbolt the seat and move it back so he could drive it.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master
    I'd shovel free lead into my trunk and maybe into the backseat.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Bub
    Well, I got lucky and found a tire place that gave me a bucket. I gave them some soda ( for you a'll northern's that's pop)... Now when I show up thay say hear comes the pop man.... A few cans of soda can catch you more lead then tin that's in a tin can... Heck wonder what would happen if I showed up a closing time with some beer?

Take yer boolit mold, and they'll prob cast it up fer ya
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leftoverdj
    I'd shovel free lead into my trunk and maybe into the backseat.
    I wasn't expecting to find lead. I had a friend with me to shoot, no replacement buckets and the hatch filled up with our gear and assorted junk. I'm not really hurting for lead either with 7 or 800 pounds of ingots in the basement. I just have growing concerns fueled by my inability to find WW and the opinion that the government has not stopped placing limits on the use of lead. I don't think it is a long shot that in a few more years no business will be allowed to give/sell lead to a non licensed consumer. I've decided the time is now to put away as big a stash as I think I will ever need.

Banned
    Doc-J

I don't find the word pop or soda localized. This isn't a flame, just some interesting information. I grew up in the Pitt, Pa area, we called it pop. Yet at the eastern border of the Pa in New Jersey, they called it soda. Now living down here in TN, and I have to say right in hillbilly territory, they call it soda. Go figure.

Joe

Banned
    Pop, soda,soda pop

I call it pop, but I have a buddy that lives just south of Orlando Florida that calls every carbonated beverage coke. It does not matter if it mt. dew, sprite, rc whatever he calls it all coke. But then again the guy ain't right up in the head either. Most of my buddies here prefer barley soda btw.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2
    I wasn't expecting to find lead. I had a friend with me to shoot, no replacement buckets and the hatch filled up with our gear and assorted junk. I'm not really hurting for lead either with 7 or 800 pounds of ingots in the basement. I just have growing concerns fueled by my inability to find WW and the opinion that the government has not stopped placing limits on the use of lead. I don't think it is a long shot that in a few more years no business will be allowed to give/sell lead to a non licensed consumer. I've decided the time is now to put away as big a stash as I think I will ever need.
    I think that's a darn good idea!

Dennis

Boolit Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - J
    Well, I got lucky and found a tire place that gave me a bucket. I gave them some soda ( for you a'll northern's that's pop)... Now when I show up thay say hear comes the pop man.... A few cans of soda can catch you more lead then tin that's in a tin can... Heck wonder what would happen if I showed up a closing time with some beer?

They deliver it!!!.....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    It's been called "sodie" for the most part in southeastern missouri and northeastern arkansas. I hear sodie-pop, and coke quite a bit around here in western arkansas. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    It's almost like OCD, isn't it. Back about 1997 there was talk that the Clinton administration was going to force the primer manufacturers to build primers with a short shelf life. I immediately started buying every brick of primers I could find and squirreling them away. By coincidence or because of this scare, primers were hard to find for a while.

Well, I'll probably never have to buy a primer again in my life, but I have been worrying that the ton of lead I have won't last me a liftime.

Boolit Man

How much lead is enough for a lifetime? I have about 3000 pounds and not sure if that is enough
    Everyone Is Entitled To Be Stupid, But Some Abuse The Privilege

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swampmaster
    How much lead is enough for a lifetime? I have about 3000 pounds and not sure if that is enough
    I guess that depends where you are in the life cycle. A ton and a half in ingots would get me 105K bullets if I call average weight at 200 grains. I'm 49 so that would give me 3,500 a year average till I'm 79. Factor in the jacketed stuff that I never intend to cast for and the fact that for at least the next few years, I'll trade money for time and buy most of my handgun bullets and 3,000 pounds would probably be enough for me. The stuff I brought home yesterday only gets me to 1,200 pounds, so I need to get more.

Anyway, there's no downside to more than enough. Worst case, my daughter and her boyfriend/husband will get plenty of exercise hauling it out of the basement when they settle the estate.

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting on the same home range for 30 years. There's got to be a ton of lead in a few cubic yards of dirt if I ever get desperate enough to mine. I'm not using up my alloy, I'm just moving it to more secure storage.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Master
    I had a friend with me to shoot,
    I have one or two of those too but so fer I've held off.

I have 7 buckets in the garage but it doesn't seem like enough cause the sources could dry up at any time, as mentioned.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by swampmaster

It's not nearly enough for me, I'm going after another ton this week, and I think around 150 tons would make me feel comfortable for a while, but it sure wouldn't be enough to last my life.

Amy Lewis
    PGB Superior Cast Bullets
    Ranger Texas

Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imashooter2
    I had a friend with me to shoot,

I have one or two of those too but so fer I've held off.

I have 7 buckets in the garage but it doesn't seem like enough cause the sources could dry up at any time, as mentioned.

A lively one makes a good moving target.

Here's what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - J
    My tire shop gives me a 5 gal bucket every month or two in exchange for a case of Shipyard India Pale Ale and a six pack of Moxie. At worst, that works out to about 11.00 per 5 gal bucket. Lucky me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast