RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wheell weight prices/

Boolit Master
    I still get my wheel weights for free but my best supplier has informed me they are switching to the new weights but the old weights will still be coming in for a while on the cars that still have them. I have more than enough to last me the rest of my life but will still collect them as long as I can.

Boolit Bub
    Local Scrap Yard will sell WW for .56 a pound when they have them. They only give about .08 a pound for them.

I am lucky and get them from my County Maintence Shop as well as about 5 shops here close to me. I hit em once a week and empty their buckets. Gets me about 4 gallons a week.

Glenn

Boolit Master
    Depdog, the scrapyards around Fort Worth are paying $0.56 per pound for lead and $0.45 for WWs. If I had that opportunity I would buy all that they had.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

That sounds like Les Schawb In canby!!
    And Les Schwab it was, though not in Canby. They told me the same thing: they are supposed to sell/credit them back to their supplier, but they could sell them to me for the same price. They must have lowered it some. I think I will go back for more, but I'll ask the guy filling the bucket if he could heap it up good this time. That might make it more worth it.

I don't cast a lot, and shoot even less, but I can sure foresee looking back on this time wishing I had stocked up more while it was still "cheap", just like I'm looking back now to the time when it was free.

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    The panic buying of lead by american comsumers is a very small thing in the world scope.
    China is the largest new user of lead and they are buying a lot of it. A few months ago China cancelledall their steel,copper and lead orders. Copper fell from $3.95 to $0.95 and lead was up to $1.50 and fell to $0.50. Now all base metal prices are getting back up to where they were 10 months ago.

We boolit casters are not a drop in the bucket to affect the market price.

although we boolit casters may not have a large affect....bullet manufacturing does....for military, LE and consumer markets....again it's not an issue of supply and demand it's an issue of willingness to pay obscene prices....I would ask you to do some more statistical research, to see what kind of stock is available....and how that stock has varied in proportion to spot price (over the years).....right now the ratio is WAYYYY off.....

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    2 years from now we will be paying $2 a pound and consider it a good deal. Better buy what you can while the gettin is good.

that will only happen if you are willing to pay it....if no one is willing to pay that price, the market will correct....

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Michigan 3-4 years ago, not sure of others. All of europe a few ago years ago.

Rick

hey, we got enough problems with the bull(&*^ around here, please don't blame us for problems we ain't got.

if lead WW are illegal here, there ain't a tire shop in my region that knows it. they're all using new lead WW.

Boolit Master
    although we boolit casters may not have a large affect....bullet manufacturing does....for military, LE and consumer markets....again it's not an issue of supply and demand it's an issue of willingness to pay obscene prices....I would ask you to do some more statistical research, to see what kind of stock is available....and how that stock has varied in proportion to spot price (over the years).....right now the ratio is WAYYYY off.....
    Currently there is about 149,000 tonnes of lead registered on the London Metal Exchange market. NY warehouse does not list lead but copper and aluminum are about %15 of what London is.
    Only a few weeks ago there was only 59,000 tonnes of lead.
    Copper, Aluminum and Zinc are just under 500,000 tonnes.

Even though the stockpile of lead is up, the price is still climbing on futures contracts.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    Well as long as I can still get em for free I am gonna keep gettin em and wont pay for them untill I cant.

Hope my luch holds out for a year or two. That way I should be able to stockpile a couple of tons for myself.

Glenn

The guy at the scrap yard said the price of lead had gone up a lot . I payed $1 per kg ~ 50c per pound for wheel weights. He wants $2 per kg for good lead Out of 20kgs I got 17kgs of ingots. I was better off with the wheel weights. Though I sorted the zink out I still took a lot home. So if you buy a bucket of wheel weights there seems to be more and more zinc. As time goes on the reverse with happen ~ more zinc that lead.
    Lead foot;

Boolit Master
    Lead is one of the most common metals mined.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by xd-40 View Post
    hey, we got enough problems with the bull(&*^ around here, please don't blame us for problems we ain't got.

if lead WW are illegal here, there ain't a tire shop in my region that knows it. they're all using new lead WW.
    Wasn't blaming anyone, went by a news report. Guess I should know better than to trust the media for anything.

If that's wrong . . . my apologies.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I just re-read this thread, I have sympathy for those that are forced to pay some ridiculous prices for WW.

Only one time have I paid for WW, $10.00 for one very full bucket. If I figure out my WW costs based on what I have vs. the $10.00 paid for all of it, not counting gas to go get it, propane or my time I have 0.0066666666666667 cents per pound invested. Aren't calculators wonderful?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Procrastination can pay off

I located a scrap yard that has 1500 pounds of soft lead and would sell it for $0.80 per pound. I fooled around and got there late and found out that I missed it by about 1 hour.

There was a barrel of WWs that he wanted $0.65 per pound for. I got thinking about and decided that I could smelt it and sell off enough locally to profit a couple hundred pounds for myself.

I bought the whole barrel (1270 pounds) at 65 cents per pound. When I started trying to sort out the clippies from the stickies it was getting hard to find WWs for all the Linotype bar, letters, cuttings and spacers. I got about 50 pounds of WWs out of the barrel and the rest was all Linotype.

Now what the heck am I going to do with 1200 pounds of lino and no lead to mix?
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Send it to me. It will
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Boolit Buddy
    Just picked up a 3 gallon bucket of WW for $25.00. Checked at the scrap yard and they were paying $.34/lb. This scrap yard will not sell lead so appreciate the yards that will. I am grabbing all I can until zinc makes the salvage useless. Talking with my tire store they are still using lead and until pushed in into zinc weights, it's lead.

Better yet, I had 91 pounds of range lead laying around. Took that to the scrap yard at
    $.28/lb and it paid for my bucket of WW lead. We need means to track the "China market" as thay are the biggest purchaser and until they back off, lead will stay high.

I am amazed at how many people don't understand why China is purchasing lead. Lead is used in auto batteries, bullet and reactors. How many reactors does China have under constrcution?

Gathering other scrap metal has been funding my lead. The other day my father and unloaded a little steel of various sorts from a 20 yard container into my truck in 15 minutes. Recieved $35.75 cash(another bucket of lead). Mics. steel around here is $196.00 per 2246 pounds.

I have few simple ideas for easy scrap money, email me and I'll give you a few hints.

Boolit Master
    Well... If you need some lino to mix with that range lead, I know where you can get some.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    I see your complaint was real.

Cast the lino into ingots and trade for WW or softer lead. Oughta be worth 2 to 1 in trade value (or close to it)

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master
    I will be casting the lino into ingots of about 9 pounds 3X5X2 more less.
    I did find about 400 pounds of WWs at the bottom of the barrel so I really ended up (I'm guessing) with over 600 lb lino.
    Shipping is a killer for trading purposes.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    I'M still pretty new to casting. I might be interested in getting some Lino from you to make alloy if your interested. I gotta read up on adding lino and or tin to my WW

Glenn

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast