Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wheell weight prices/

Boolit Master
    2 years from now we will be paying $2 a pound and consider it a good deal. Better buy what you can while the gettin is good.

Boolit Grand Master

Let me know of any WW near me and I'll guarantee they will disappear fast. Get you heads away from the past and read the big sign on the wall.
    WW that are usable are fast becoming dreams. The last melt I did was over 20%zinc/iron/rubber weights. On top of that was the usual trash such as valve stems, cores, and dirt.
    When you add shipping to online or evilbay prices, for metal that you only have someone else's word for the content, it can get really expensive.
    Get what you can in raw form and make sure to put some aside for hard times, cause they are certainly coming.
    The fear of Obama may be the catalyst that drove all the prices in our hobby skyward, but there will always be another name to take his place. Nothing will ever be the same as our memories.
    I can remember $.13/gal gasoline, but I'll never get any more at that price.
    Remember when most print shops had Linotype?
    Remember when all plumbers had a lead furnace and 5# lead cookies?
    Remember when lots of machine bearings were made of babbitt?
    Remember when ALL WW were lead/antimony that we got for free?
    All that was the case when I started casting, less than 45 years ago, but it will never be that way again.

Boolit Master
    I rember getting a Remington 514 with Green Stamps! A Rem 700 BDL 134 bucks. 10cents for a bottle of Mountain Dew. I am 53 yrsd young.

Boolit Master
    I think the biggest factor affecting wheel weights was the decision by the California lawmakers to make them illegal.
    Other states will soon follow and even if they don't companies who make wheel weights will grow tired of making different ones for the Ca crowd. They will simply start making only California spec wheel weights so they don't lose that market.

$.13 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am 56 and never seen it lower than $19.9, lol.

Boolit Master
    Gasoline was not cheap when it was $0.23 per gallon. 1 hour of minimum wage would get you about 30 miles down the road. Now 1 hour of minimun wage will get you about 60-75 miles down the road.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I think the biggest factor affecting wheel weights was the decision by the California lawmakers to make them illegal.
    Other states will soon follow and even if they don't companies who make wheel weights will grow tired of making different ones for the Ca crowd. They will simply start making only California spec wheel weights so they don't lose that market.
    Newsflash snowwolfe,

California was not the first state to ban lead WW, just the most recent but what the h*ll, might just as well blame them as anyone huh?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Newsflash snowwolfe,

California was not the first state to ban lead WW, just the most recent but what the h*ll, might just as well blame them as anyone huh?

Rick
    Wasnt blaming anyone. But am curious, what other states have banned them and when were they first banned?
    I ask because California was the first state I have heard of.

Boolit Grand Master

Michigan 3-4 years ago, not sure of others. All of europe a few ago years ago.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I was lucky enough to score a 15-gallon drum about 2/3 full of WWs from the 1960s a couple years ago. BHn tested at 13! I'm about 3/4 the way through that stockpile at present, and have 2 other metal lots I'll work through next.

I'm about done trying to score wheelweight metal the old-fashioned way. CA tire stores have largely been indoctrinated into the TreeHuggingCondorSaver consciousness-raising bullwarp, and if I hear that airhead mantra one more time I'll lose lunch.

When Rotometals first placed their ads here, I thought their prices were obscene. Now, I'm not so sure. No smelting required. No waste stream. No mystery metal. No driving around all over the place, getting less and less metal/more and more annoyed. They deliver it. They WANT to sell it, aren't afraid of doing so, and don't treat the transaction like some damn dope deal.

I think they'll get my business next time I want metal. Paradigm shifts are what they are, and we better get used to it.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I can get 95 lbs of wheel weights (1970 vintage) These are of course with clips so actual weight is less .Question what would be a fair price to offer? I can buy wheel weights from a sponser here for $1.95 a pound .No clips but have to ship. The seller is about at least 6 gals of gas away $15 . .50 cents a pound to high or low? Thanks Rick(ps) what would the yeild be of alloy with the clips removed

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

80 to 85%
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master
    Shooterbr, Those 70s vintage WWs might have $0.70 per pound worth antimony in them.
    $1.00 would be a steal and if they are the newer 3% WWs its still not that bad.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

I can still buy it for $15 for a 5 gallon bucket around here. Also it is hard to find a bucket full.

Boolit Grand Master

I hear ya Al, I've been getting a bit more in the last couple of weeks than I had for quite some time. I think shops here are starting to realize that they can't re-use them now no matter how badly they may want to.

If I can get another 400-500 pounds cleaned up and in ingots added to what I currently have I should never have to worry about it for the rest of my shooting life. If I cannot get that much more within a reasonable time I'll check with Rotometals and just buy that much more.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Found two local sources The first has the 1970 wheel weights. The second has 45 lbs he used for sinkers .I dont konw what the metal is May be pure lead He wants $50 Any thoughts?
    I won't pay $1/# for scrap. You can get cert alloy for $1.65/# delivered to your house & ready to cast.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post

$.13 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am 56 and never seen it lower than $19.9, lol.
    This **** actually started in Europe some 6-7 yrs ago. All Euro cars coming into the states have no lead ww. Kalif enviro kooks jumped on the band wagon as have the other western states. It will be a national ban before PBO leaves office, just watch & see. SO I collect what I can & am still using commercial cast for plinking bullets. I am saving the lead for LHP & big bore bullets.
    Last edited by fredj338; 01-03-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=cbrick;765777]Michigan 3-4 years ago, not sure of others. All of europe a few ago years ago.

Rick[/QUOTE

I have to question that. I live in MI and have three tire shops I go to that are still using NEW lead WW.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Master

I can still buy it for $15 for a 5 gallon bucket around here
    I wish I could find it for even double that here in Oregon. I just paid $15 for a much smaller bucket, from a fairly large chain store no less, because they were the only ones who would sell me any. The bucket weighed about 40 pounds, but after tossing all the steel and zinc weights, I ended up with 26 pounds of lead ingots. That's the most expensive lead I've ever bought.

I think I'll go back for more next week. 50 to 75 cents a pound will probably sound like quite a bargain in years to come.

Boolit Master
    That sounds like Les Schawb In canby!!

This summer, they wanted $20 for a 2 gal bucket.
    NRA life member

LB

Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    That sounds like Les Schawb In canby!!

This summer, they wanted $20 for a 2 gal bucket.
    Sounds like Les Schwab around these parts as well. They were willing to give me a few weights (<2 lbs) for free, but to buy a 2 gallon bucket would have set me back over $20. They said they have a contract to sell them back to their provider and that is how much they get in credit from them. Sounds to me like they are way overpaying for their new ones. I think I'd be looking for a new provider.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast