RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wheell weight prices/

Boolit Master

Wheell weight prices/

i can buy some wheel weights 1970's age. What would be a fair price to offer? Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    i can buy some wheel weights 1970's age. What would be a fair price to offer? Rick
    $20-$30 / Five Gallon Bucket (Full)

Start out as little as you want to pay for them. You can always go higher, and not feel as if you paid too much.

Boolit Master

$30 is pretty much the going price....but lead prices are sneaking up so one has to be careful not to upset the seller if you really want them. What age they are really has no bearing on what they will bring on todays market.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

When I'm lucky to find ww, I buy them by the lb.
    I use an electronic scale.
    I dump their bucket into my bucket, that way I can see what other stuff is in their bucket besides ww.
    This way I can also deduct the weight of my bucket so I don't have to pay extra for the weight of their bucket.

I also find the person with the ww appreciates the use of the scale, that way he knows he is getting a fair price for his ww.
    Which (to me at least) goes a long way in keeping the seller happy and more likely to save the ww for you.

As stated, offer the lowest price you want to pay, you can always go up.
    I check with the scrap yards and see how much they pay for scrap lead and how much they sell it for, then I adjust my offering price.

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    $30 is pretty much the going price....but lead prices are sneaking up so one has to be careful not to upset the seller if you really want them. What age they are really has no bearing on what they will bring on todays market.

Edd
    I agree. The only thing about 1970s ww, there will probably be no zinc or steel ww in there. I would be happy to pay $30/100# + bucket. That will yeald you about 80# of alloy +. That is only 37c / #. Pretty cheap bullets.

Boolit Master
    Found two local sources The first has the 1970 wheel weights. The second has 45 lbs he used for sinkers .I dont konw what the metal is May be pure lead He wants $50 Any thoughts?

Boolit Master

pic of metal

here it is
    Last edited by Shooter6br; 05-23-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    Question is, can you really use that pure lead?

Boolit Master
    $50 for 45lbs of
    dont konw what the metal is
    That's about $1.10 / lb, with no certain outcome. That doesn't sound so good to me.

Keep in mind, rotometals sells 55 lb pigs of 99.9% lead for $89 delivered. That's $1.62 / lb and you know exactly what it is.

I would call the scrap places around your area, and ask what their buy and sell prices are per pound. I would offer scrap price, maybe a little more, but no more than you could buy scrap for.

I haven't paid $1/ lb for lead yet, and hope I don't have to. Much of the time you could find someone in the swap & sell section with ingots for sale for less than that.

My .02 worth
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master
    My local scrapyard is currently paying $0.45 per pound. The jerks will not sell at any price.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    My thoughts also I dont know what the metal is .I think the wheel weights are at least a know alloy (give or Take)

pretty soon WW will only be a few cents (per pound) less than foundry grade alloy....something here just doesn't add up....people willing to pay for scrap, is what has driven prices up....junk man thinks hey can get $0.45 a pound....sells it to the foundry, foundry buys it because they know some guy will pay $1.80 a pound for decent clean alloy....and the cycle goes on and on....there are charts which track the current availability of warehoused lead....go find them and see how much lead is on the market right now....once you see how much there is, you will realize that the prices aren't an issue of supply/demand....it's just the "free market"....if everyone stopped buying lead at these prices, you watch how fast it would go back to $0.18 a pound....panic buying is ruining the firearms and ammunition markets....that includes lead/powder/primers/brass....and the fat cats are sitting behind the wheel of their Bently and laughing at us....meh....I guess I can't say much...I still buy everything I mentioned above

Boolit Master
    My thoughts also I dont know what the metal is .I think the wheel weights are at least a know alloy (give or Take)
    +1 on that.

It looks to me, like the first ones on the scale are factory ingots, likely pure lead. See if you can scratch them with your thumbnail. As for the brownish white round bar, who knows. Is it lead pipe? Is it something someone poured years ago?? who knows.

Honestly, I have nothing against trying out some "mystery metal" if it were cheep enough / free. But I wouldn't pay that much for it. Lead isn't that hard to come by yet. Many times I've seen ingots for sale in our own swapping and selling area for less than that.
    NRA life member

LB

Yesterday they outlawed lead WW here.

Now folks think they are gold
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    The panic buying of lead by american comsumers is a very small thing in the world scope.
    China is the largest new user of lead and they are buying a lot of it. A few months ago China cancelledall their steel,copper and lead orders. Copper fell from $3.95 to $0.95 and lead was up to $1.50 and fell to $0.50. Now all base metal prices are getting back up to where they were 10 months ago.

We boolit casters are not a drop in the bucket to affect the market price.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

In Remembrance
    I called a scrap metal buyer here in Houston last week, asked what they paid for lead. They are only offering 30 cents a pound!

Boolit Master
    Well when the EPA calls CO2 a hazardous gas Anything is possible.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by badgeredd View Post
    What age they are really has no bearing on what they will bring on todays market. Edd
    Well, that may not be entirely true to boolit casters, possibly true in the much larger world of scrap metal prices.

Current WW's should average 2-3% antimony but in days gone by WW had around 10% antimony, nearly lino percentage. It was in the late 70's and early 80's that mfg's started dropping the percentage of antimony a bit at a time until it got to what we have today . . . 2-3%.

If those weights really are from the 70's they could be cut 50/50 with say stick-on weights (or pure) and you would still have a higher antimony percentage than todays weights. This would be a great find for a boolit caster, buy all of those weights you can get.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    here it is
    Personally, I wouldn't pay any more than $0.20 a pound and I'd be darn sure that at least half of it was usable. $50 is WAY to much since you can get pig lead from our vendor/sponsor for about the same price per quantity and you know what you're getting. Mystery alloy can turn out to a real waste of funds in my experience. I'd pass on the unknown stuff.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast