Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual PID Temperature Controller

Moderator Emeritus
    Yes Perfessor a fine article in deed, thank you.

Duly stickied.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Banned

Here is the one I just finished last nite.

Dual PID controllers and a digital thermometer for mold temps.
    The main PID Runs the Main Pot. The smaller one (top right) controls my mold 'oven'. More on that later.

Both PIDs are capable of 18A loads, Max 20A total for the both , if the house supply can handle that much. Power input is by 10G wire.
    This is accomplished by a contactor to remove the heavy load from the on/off switch.

When you switch things on you only energize the Main PID and a 12 VDC supply. The 12V supply then supplies power to the aux PID and the thermometer (it also powers the LED circuits)). The 12V supply also pulls in the power relay (2 30A poles) energizing the SSRs.

The main PID has a 3 LED warning system Red for hot/ Green for good/ and Blue for cold.

The thermometer is the lower right. It uses a pt100 RDT with a front connection to read the mold temp. A warning LED is available to warn of low/high temps.
    The thermometer can be switched off when not needed.

The auxiliary PID runs a hot plate that has my 'oven' on it. I took a 1/2" steel plate and welded a series of box tubing to it. This tubing, which is sealed on the back end, holds the molds while they heat. It transfers heat better than just setting them on the plate. I can get 6 heating that way too. I even added a couple small round pipes to hold HP pins for heating.
    This PID also has a LED warning system and it too can be shut off if not used. It can, of course, be use to control a second melter is you so desire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PIDFront.jpg   PIDBack.jpg   PIDTop.jpg  
    Last edited by Frozone; 09-13-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Boolit Master

Very nice job! I don't know if you remember, but you gave me some good advice on using extra thermocouple wire to hook up plugs and sockets. I took your advice when I built my controller.

Your help was appreciated then and now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
    Well Done!

I had to look twice at the pid02.jpg - It looks like you have the smoke escaping
    Ive got this if he needs it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smoke.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	99393

Boolit Buddy
    wow those are truly impressive both on the knowledge level required and the craftsmanship in executing.

Boolit Bub
    Dear Perfessor,

I have been very impressed with your write up regarding the PID that you built described above. I was also very impressed with your account of the improvements that you made to a Lyman 450 Lubrisizer.

At any rate the reason I'm writing is that I would like to purchase one of these PID devices. The reason I'd like to purchase a PID from you is because I am very chalanged when it comes to putting together an electrical device. I'm 78 years old and a retired MSG and teacher. I still shoot and cast bullets and I sure would like to try to cast better using one of these PID tools.

I have 3 Lee pots, a Lyman and a Wagge pots. I vary the pots with the alloy I'm casting. Two of the Lee pots have problems The new one (3 months old) seems to have a problem with the thermostat the temperature varies a lot. The other does nlt get much above 600*. I need to get some way to keep a stable temperature in these pots.

Would it be possible to purchase a PID from you? If you could put one together for me what would be the cost and how soon could I look forward to working with it?

Thank you,

Bob Maerdian
    kossuth@pacbell.net

Boolit Master

Bob - I'm extremely flattered that you would want to buy something like this from me, so it is with regret that I must say no. There are folks here who make and sell kits and fully wired units that can serve your needs better. Maybe a post titled "Who sells finished PIDs" or something similar might get you some responses.

I am just getting back into business after facing some life changing medical issues and must remain focused on my basic business needs and products at this time, which is machined (not electrical) products.

Once again my apologies, and good luck, they really are nice to use.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Maerdian View Post
    Dear Perfessor,

I have been very impressed with your write up regarding the PID that you built described above. I was also very impressed with your account of the improvements that you made to a Lyman 450 Lubrisizer.

At any rate the reason I'm writing is that I would like to purchase one of these PID devices. The reason I'd like to purchase a PID from you is because I am very chalanged when it comes to putting together an electrical device. I'm 78 years old and a retired MSG and teacher. I still shoot and cast bullets and I sure would like to try to cast better using one of these PID tools.

I have 3 Lee pots, a Lyman and a Wagge pots. I vary the pots with the alloy I'm casting. Two of the Lee pots have problems The new one (3 months old) seems to have a problem with the thermostat the temperature varies a lot. The other does nlt get much above 600*. I need to get some way to keep a stable temperature in these pots.

Would it be possible to purchase a PID from you? If you could put one together for me what would be the cost and how soon could I look forward to working with it?

Thank you,

Bob Maerdian
    kossuth@pacbell.net
    Anyone of these links could fix you up with a plug & play unit. You could also shoot an inquiry to "Uncle Russ" on the Cast Bullet Assoc. forum as he also does them.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...OBIII-s-Corner
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ure-controller
    http://jconninv.com/index.shtml
    http://www.auberins.com/
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    You guys and your electronic skills are amazing. However, my knowledge of electricity limits me to replacing an electrical cord on a lamp, small appliance or power tool when they become frayed too much to be safe. I look at the maze of wires shown in some of these pictures and my eyes cross involuntarily.

I just started casting this week (I know, I know, no-one is that green!) But what I noticed right off is not being able to control the temperature in my brand new Lyman 20# Pro pot. Had it set to 750 degrees and started casting. Beautiful bullets right off. Then I noticed a little frosting and dropped the thermometer into the alloy and the danged pot was almost 1000 degrees. I turned it down, but it dropped far below 750 and I couldn't get "molasses" to fill the cavities. I've been looking at PID controllers on the Internet and found this one: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=102 It's "industrial grade", which is something I'm looking for. But I don't know what I'll need to go with this thing...................and don't know if I'm even looking at the right kind of PID. Anyone want to help guide a "lost" traveler?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    You guys and your electronic skills are amazing. However, my knowledge of electricity limits me to replacing an electrical cord on a lamp, small appliance or power tool when they become frayed too much to be safe. I look at the maze of wires shown in some of these pictures and my eyes cross involuntarily.

I just started casting this week (I know, I know, no-one is that green!) But what I noticed right off is not being able to control the temperature in my brand new Lyman 20# Pro pot. Had it set to 750 degrees and started casting. Beautiful bullets right off. Then I noticed a little frosting and dropped the thermometer into the alloy and the danged pot was almost 1000 degrees. I turned it down, but it dropped far below 750 and I couldn't get "molasses" to fill the cavities. I've been looking at PID controllers on the Internet and found this one: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=102 It's "industrial grade", which is something I'm looking for. But I don't know what I'll need to go with this thing...................and don't know if I'm even looking at the right kind of PID. Anyone want to help guide a "lost" traveler?
    So at Xmas time, I told the wife I wanted a standard, no frills PID for casting. She had no clue what I was talking about, even after explaining it. I told her I could build with this parts list. She then listed everything I messed up that had to do with wires and electricity. I then let her know that I could buy one off of someone from this forum, heck, even a FB casting group member. She then reminded me of the time I got ripped off (minor purchase luckily) and then said why don't I just wait till after Xmas to get one from someone. I knew what she was getting at and ended up with this unit: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=161

It works great and has a warranty and a customer service that answers the phone and returns emails. I even had to send it back once because I blew the SSR (again, electricity and I don't get along) and they replaced it quickly with just some troubleshooting questions to determine the issue. I've been very happy since.

Now one of those dual PID controllers would be awesome since I use a toaster oven for baking PC, but the reg. thermometer is working just fine for that thing.
    -Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Chris. But that PID is 3 times the price.......and out of my range. Will the one I linked to not accomplish the same thing? I notice the back of yours has a place to plug in the pot as well as the thermocouple...............but I can't see the back of the one I linked. Does it not have the same (electrically challanged) user friendly configuration or is there still a lot of "experienced technician" wiring to do?
    Last edited by Chris C; 01-24-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks, Chris. But that PID is 3 times the price.......and out of my range. Will the one I linked to not accomplish the same thing? I notice the back of yours has a place to plug in the pot as well as the thermocouple...............but I can't see the back of the one I linked. Does it not have the same (electrically challanged) user friendly configuration or is there still a lot of "experienced technician" wiring to do?
    The one you linked is just one piece of the puzzle. You still need to get the rest of the pieces. I found a blog piece once that have a good outline of almost all the pieces you need to build one. I'll edit this post if I can find it.

Blog post. http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/bui...e-control.html
    Last edited by chrisstophere; 01-24-2016 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added Web link
    -Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Yup.............my eyes are crossed! Might as well be speaking in tongues for all I understand about that. Probably ought to just save up enough to buy the one you linked to. But how close does it hold the temperature?

Yup.............my eyes are crossed! Might as well be speaking in tongues for all I understand about that. Probably ought to just save up enough to buy the one you linked to. But how close does it hold the temperature?
    After auto tuning it to the Lee pot, within 5 degrees at the highest.
    -Chris

Boolit Buddy
    That's a far cry better than what I'm doing on my own.

That's a far cry better than what I'm doing on my own.
    A quality PID is definitely worth the investment if your main source of projectiles are ones you cast.
    -Chris

In Remembrance
    I loved your post!!! VERY EDUCATIONAL to say the least. Question--- I have a Magma Master Caster that is a 230-240 volt model. Can this PID be configured to operate with 240 volt input and output? I own a machine shop with the mentioned equipment, so machine work is no problem. My very close friend an I & E gewiz. Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. Iron Whittler

Boolit Master

Confusing here with 2 Chris's aboard. Just for starters the one that bought the Auber unit for about $189 has a complete unit. The other one for about $59 or whatever is only the PID unit. So we're almost talking apples and oranges here. Don't confuse those 2 rigs. The complete unit has the panel (little yellow thing) pictured on the back of it and is where you plug the appropriate TC into for pot, toaster, whatever.

The other one needs to be hooked to the SSR, power supply, etc. and is not complete. Probably a good rig but you could just buy the SLY-2352 for a few bucks less.

One of you wanted to save some bucks and all the components can be purchased on ebay. If you're a good scrounger you can put together a good rig for under $50. Have a Auber rig myself but realistically the least expensive one I built does just as good a job of controlling the temperature.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W1 View Post
    Confusing here with 2 Chris's aboard. Just for starters the one that bought the Auber unit for about $189 has a complete unit. The other one for about $59 or whatever is only the PID unit. So we're almost talking apples and oranges here. Don't confuse those 2 rigs. The complete unit has the panel (little yellow thing) pictured on the back of it and is where you plug the appropriate TC into for pot, toaster, whatever.

The other one needs to be hooked to the SSR, power supply, etc. and is not complete. Probably a good rig but you could just buy the SLY-2352 for a few bucks less.

One of you wanted to save some bucks and all the components can be purchased on ebay. If you're a good scrounger you can put together a good rig for under $50. Have a Auber rig myself but realistically the least expensive one I built does just as good a job of controlling the temperature.
    Well said. If mine weren't a gift, I was going to buy one of a member here, which would've been a bit cheaper. Building it yourself, even more savings.
    -Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisstophere View Post
    Building it yourself, even more savings.
    Only if it works after one finishes building it! That's typically my problem when it comes to electronics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast