RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAGS cracked TC stock repair

LAGS cracked TC stock repair

Some photos that LAGS will be along to explain. BTW, I have an example of his stock repair, and I can barely see the line - it looks almost brand new.

Without further ado...

Boolit Master
    The top picture is one of the Hybrid compared to some of the other TC's that I refurbished.
    The bottom picture is a picture of a wrench I made for the Hybrid rifle mentioned in another post.
    It is a tool.
    Made out of a broken file that is used on the Hybrid to switch out the lock from flintlock to percussion.
    It will have a screwdriver tip to take out the lock screw.
    Take out the Flash Hole Liner and remove the Nipple and Nipple Drum.
    The other pictures are of a Cracked TC Renegade stock that I bought.
    A lot of TC's are known to crack the exact way.
    Probably from people shooting really Hot Loads.
    The other pictures are a couple of TC rifles that I bought cheap with cracked stocks.
    You can see that those cracked can be repaired and used again.
    I have even repaired some of the stocks that the buttstock had been totally removed.
    When I do the repair on the latest stock , I might have pictures of how I do the repairs properly.
    That will give you guys the option on repairing your stocks that have the same cracks.
    Or it will allow you to buy other rifles cheaper that have those cracks.

Whoops. OK, other pictures posted in the right thread - the whole day has gone this way so far, staying home for the rest of the day out of safety.

Boolit Master
    The first thing I am going to do to the stock is to totally strip off the finish with Paint/ Epoxy type stripper.
    You have to totally get all the finish off.
    Especially inside the cracks.
    I see many a stock ( even this one)
    Where people just tried stuffing the crack with epoxy or wood glue.
    Because of the old finish and possibly cleaning oil, the glue or epoxy won't stay bonded.
    So to fix a crack like this.
    You will have to Totally refinish the whole stock.

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine made that mistake when repairing on old stock (not stripping it). Wood glue failed. Then he tried epoxy. By the time I got it I had to dremel out several layers of old glue and epoxy, then add filler when redone. Not pretty to look at but functional. Sad cause it was a nice figured walnut on an old French shotgun.

Boolit Master
    I am also going to show you guys how to install Pins across the cracks to help Reinforce the stressed area.
    I also on the TC stocks.
    Add Dowels to reinforce areas to prevent future cracking.
    Those dowels are not visible on the outside of the stock.
    But do transfer the force so the stock doesn't crack again.
    I very rarely have to use the Dremel tool to remove the old glue from previous repairs.
    That Paint/ Epoxy stripper gets it out so you don't end up grinding out wood and having to fill in the larger cracks that end up showing.

I have a rifle that LAGS fixed the stock - I have a very hard time finding the line, and it shoots like a laser.

Boolit Master
    Awesome repairs only expierence can give. I sure am inspired by your craftsmenship. The base of very good talent on this forum is what keeps me popping in to have a looky see!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I was able to finish stripping the original finish off that cracked stock shown in the pictures # 2&3.
    I used Jasco epoxy paint stripper.
    It also took off most of the Epoxy that the previous owner had tried to use to fix that crack.
    I will post some more pictures of the stripped stock and how I am going to do the repairs and reinforcements.
    From what I have seen on TC stocks that cracked is my opinion of why they cracked.
    It looks like the barrel if loaded really super heavy or the gun is fired out of a Lead Sled shooting cradle.
    The barrel rebounds against the lock retention screw that is across the stock , right behind the breech plug.
    That causes a hard force in a thin part of the stock.
    You will see that the way I reinforce the stock.
    The stock will be strengthened to spread that force from the barrel recoil so the force is spread and doesn't split the stock.
    On other TC rifles that I intended on shooting heavy loads.
    I reinforced the stocks that had not been cracked.
    The way I do the reinforcement is also blind and does not show on the outside of the stock.
    Last edited by LAGS; 01-07-2024 at 09:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    eager to continue my studies at LAGS University! ha, ha. pictures / pictures & more pictures!

Boolit Master
    I figured that since this type of crack is common on TC stocks.
    This is going to be important information to show others.
    Also,
    This type of repair can be modified to do other types of stock repairs and possibly reinforcements to prevent cracks in the future.

Here we go.

Boolit Master
    Hello guys.
    The pictures 6 & 7 show how the stock looks after the finish was stripped off.
    I still need to pry the crack open a little bit and clean out any of the old epoxy the original owner had tried to glue the stock with so the crack will close as much as it can .
    It looks like the guy had uses 5 minute clear epoxy to try and repair the crack.
    But it looks like he didn't clean out the crack, so the epoxy didn't end up sticking very good.
    Plus the 5 minute epoxy isn't as strong , and limits your time to align the parts to clamp them together.

That cleaned up nice.

Boolit Master
    The white rings that I drew on the stock in pictures 8 & 9 are where I am going to drill holes all the way thru the stock from top to bottom to use for clamping the crack close on some areas with a bolt.
    Those two holes plus others will be used to install dowels glued in to help make the stock stronger , and not be visible when the rifle is reassembled.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm impressed with that jasco stripper. did a great job.

Boolit Master
    That is one reason I strip the finish off the stock.
    I see many times that people just squirt glue into a crack and clamp it closed to let it dry.
    Then you end up with a line of glue that you can't Blend In to kind of make the repair not as visable.

Boolit Master
    Because the stock had been tried to be repaired that first time.
    And now a second time.
    The crack is going to show up a little more than the crack repair show in picture 4.
    But being aware of the double worked crack , you can do things to help hide the repair.
    Like since more epoxy might be visible because of the wider crack.
    You can mix the colored epoxy so it is darker brown than the other repair on pic 4.
    The darker color makes it less noticable than a light colored repair.
    Especially when you can stain the stock a little darker to match the epoxy repair.
    One of the biggest mistakes that people make is trying to use Clear Glue.
    They think it will be invisible.
    NOT.
    After a while it turns white , or remains so shiny that it jumps out when you look at it..
    Colored glue works so much better to hide the repair.
    Last edited by LAGS; 01-09-2024 at 11:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yep, BTDT I use some paint mixed in with epoxy for repairs. One was wide enough that I also used some darker color to match the grain. Added it with a toothpick after things were setup.

5 min epoxy is horrible for wood. It starts to go off before it can 'soak' in the wood. My minimum for wood work is 30min stuff. Gives plenty of time to set up, clamp, wipe up excess and then absorb into the wood grain.

Boolit Master
    If you test different epoxies , you will see that most 5 minute epoxies stay rubbery and gummy.
    They don't seem to crystalize where you can sand them when they are dried.
    I mostly use Glass Bedding Epoxy for my repairs.
    But I have also used Crazy Glue.
    But only in areas where you can put the glue on and set the piece in place and hold it to dry.
    I have also used Crazy Glue on matching sawdust to fill some voids.
    It works good , matches the stock color , and is very hard.
    But you can't fill a void as easy unless the void has a bottom to retain the sawdust and crazy glued since it is such a thin liquid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast