Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Milk Jug 300 Yard 6.5 Swede

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Joe, the lube here is the Phenylmethyl silicone oil, not the lithium soap. The latter is for the viscosity required to hold that oil to such things as plastic parts without decomposing those parts over time. Our torque requirements are severe and require no shelf life, making the lube as shown more appropriate for what it is designed to do. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

Coincidentally, I just made up a batch of lube using paraffin wax, Ivory soap and Lucas Red & Sticky Grease. Would have used beeswax if I had any but was impatient.

It turned out quite well and is really slick though quite firm (started out a little too soft so I added more wax). I haven't done a lot of testing yet but so far no leading.

Will be doing more testing in .44 and .303 Brit shortly.

Longbow

Banned
    I apologize for this thread getting off topic. If you fellows want to talk more lube we can take it to a lube thread.

Joe

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Joe, try one of these with some low melt microwax. It should solve your and BA's cold weather shoots. ... felix

http://www.clearcoproducts.com/paint...icone_lub.html
    felix

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Joe, try one of these with some low melt microwax. It should solve your and BA's cold weather shoots. ... felix

http://www.clearcoproducts.com/paint...icone_lub.html

Thanks for the link Felix. So far I don't have a cold weather problem. I'm still testing too. Another this too Felix, I don't have that first shot out of the group with my lube. That is with the barrel fouled already and the rifle set for days. Doesn't seem to matter, at least in my Swede and Mannlicher.

Joe

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Bass,

One more: http://www.polysi.com/dow%20corning%...C%2033%20M.pdf

notice the temperatures in the chart and also notice that most of those are lithium soaps.

Joe

Yea. I tried some of this. (not straight) It's in my 2nd Lyman lubrisizer set up for 35s at this point in time. (?) But I will tell you that it is a long way from something that needs lubrication in the cold and that of an accelerating slug pushing stuff ahead of it in a confined area that will NOT compress that it ultimately must pass. Kind of affects the holding of bore center don't you think?

Yea, this thread may at first appear to be off topic, but lube and bullet design which hasn't even been discussed yet enters into this for high velocity just as much as filler does. I have minimized fouling with bullet design too where filler only is needed for protection against obturation forces.

I applaud this effort. But I guess the question is, how do you separate the discussion of high velocity, which is what this is really about, by just discussing a single variable? Considering the time of year that it is and what people have to deal with, everyone is excited now and I guarantee that somebody is out there banging today. And they are still going to achieve varied results and blame it on filler failure or BS? HV in cold weather is the toughest thing for me.

I think the total package must be considered, but it is your thread and you are teaching so you drive the train. Just figured that some folks might now have wondered why some designs have clean out grooves or standard grooves clear up to the nose?
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    Bass,

One more: http://www.polysi.com/dow%20corning%...C%2033%20M.pdf

notice the temperatures in the chart and also notice that most of those are lithium soaps.

Joe

Yea. I tried some of this. (not straight though) (smells like Kacha) It's in my 2nd Lyman lubrisizer set up for 35s at this point in time. (?) But I will tell you that it is a long way from something that needs lubrication in the cold and that of an accelerating soft slug pushing stuff ahead of it in a confined area that will NOT compress and that it ultimately might have to pass.

Some barrels require the total package and then still others won't be able to meet certain levels. My new 16 twist, 35 Whelen is one of these as it leads at 1100 fps the ***. That is no typo either. But I still have the other one .... and my 35 Remmie.

I applaud this effort. Considering the time of year that it is and what people have to deal with, everyone is excited now and I guarantee that somebody is out there banging in the cold today. The result is going to be a verdict on Joe as much as the filler.

Hope some folks are encouraged.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned
    Bass,

Well we know what the cold does to powder combustion and possibly primer ignition.

Joe

Swheeler, It probly spends more time in the barrel, and is therefore pitched at a higher angle maybe????? You didn't say at what ranges, btw.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Think about that Pat. Is there a situation where you can seat the bullet and there's still not an air space? Take it another direction. Fill the case with you Puff-Lon and you're telling me the bullet is just setting atop it? What's gripping the bullet? I'll let you think on that and you post back and tell me what you think.

Joe
    I was going to neck size the case as usual,then I was going to start with 30grns of AR2209(4350) which is well under the starting load,fill the remainder of the case with buffer,loose fill then compress the buffer by seating the bullet.With the boolit and buffer the ''projectile'' will be around 165-170grns which is still under loaded for that amount of powder.I think I know what you are doing now as far as what your load is,or close to it.I don't feel it is dangerous to go that way by we'll see.I'm also going to try your lube. Pat

Boolit Master
    I apologize for this thread getting off topic. If you fellows want to talk more lube we can take it to a lube thread.

Joe
    I think the lube,filler,HV all go together,lets keep it all on this thread. Pat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    I was going to neck size the case as usual,then I was going to start with 30grns of AR2209(4350) which is well under the starting load,fill the remainder of the case with buffer,loose fill then compress the buffer by seating the bullet.With the boolit and buffer the ''projectile'' will be around 165-170grns which is still under loaded for that amount of powder.I think I know what you are doing now as far as what your load is,or close to it.I don't feel it is dangerous to go that way by we'll see.I'm also going to try your lube. Pat
    I believe there has been enough published here that tell one that you can't go by thinking about "being well under a starting load" thinking because it was said that the filler changes the case volume. It doesn't work that way. I think isn't good enough. You have to be 100 percent positive.

Joe

Boolit Master
    So what I should do is find the exact amount of filler,then put that into a case and then find out how much powder then fills the case and then base my loads on a case that has the same capacity?. Pat

Boolit Grand Master

PAT303:

I had not heard of Pufflon so took a look at their website. How true the claims are I don't know but they basically state all the reasons I want a filler and I can't believe in this litigatious day and age we live in that they would sell a product that could damage guns or worse, hurt or kill people unless they were sure it was safe to use as directed.

From what I see, Pufflon is a granular filler that can be added to a load that is 10% below SAAMI max. That is a higher starting load than I am using with COW but then COW is likely denser as well.

I would be interested in your results with Pufflon and for that matter any other fillers you have tried.

If this is getting off topic for this thread then maybe another should be started or if you want to PM me with info I would be happy to discuss and share what I have as well.

I think it is all part and parcel with the reloading exercise and options especially for plain base boolits or working on higher than "normal" cast boolit velocities.

At this point I would be lucky to hit a milk jug at 300 yards with my .303. Groups are improving though and I credit filler with helping that.

So far, I am not pushing the envelope with heavy loads but I have not seen pressure signs so far with any load I have worked up using COW filler.

Longbow

Banned
    I am just sticking my head in here to APPLAUD all involved on this thread. It is about time all the facets of tru HV landed in the same spot. It is all coming together now.....lets keep it going.

I have not done the plastic filler work Joe has...I tend to stick with the easier HV cast cartridges out of mostly pure laziness on my part. I personally use slower than normal powders as a consumable filler on rifle cartridges that are realtively easier to a small degree with a matched tough/mallable alloy in a well fitted boolit with a proper lube for the task at hand. I would not set any records with my loads but for "small groups" capable of fine 300 yard hunting accuracy I am OK to head to the woods.

I would like to see at least one other fella jump in here....you know who you are.

Boolit Master
    At the moment it's too hot here to do load work,I live in the desert and it's been 40+ degree's celsius so I can't cast and the heat makes it very difficult to shoot groups as the mirage is very bad,once it cools down I get back into it and post the results,as the above post said this is a really good thread and what CB is all about.All the info needed for HV is coming together in one thread. Pat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    At the moment it's too hot here to do load work,I live in the desert and it's been 40+ degree's celsius so I can't cast and the heat makes it very difficult to shoot groups as the mirage is very bad,once it cools down I get back into it and post the results,as the above post said this is a really good thread and what CB is all about.All the info needed for HV is coming together in one thread. Pat
    If I sent you a flatrate box full of snow and 10deg F air would that help?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post

no, but making this a sticky was a great idea....thanks

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Banned
    I am just sticking my head in here to APPLAUD all involved on this thread. It is about time all the facets of tru HV landed in the same spot. It is all coming together now.....lets keep it going.

I have not done the plastic filler work Joe has...I tend to stick with the easier HV cast cartridges out of mostly pure laziness on my part. I personally use slower than normal powders as a consumable filler on rifle cartridges that are realtively easier to a small degree with a matched tough/mallable alloy in a well fitted boolit with a proper lube for the task at hand. I would not set any records with my loads but for "small groups" capable of fine 300 yard hunting accuracy I am OK to head to the woods.

I would like to see at least one other fella jump in here....you know who you are.
    Mikey,

I haven't shot nearly the amount of the stuff that 45 2.1 has....and he has jumped in here.

Joe

Boolit Master
    That would help,there is a couple of very bad bushfires around at the moment,40 houses were lost yesterday. Pat

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast