Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 28 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Milk Jug 300 Yard 6.5 Swede

Banned

Milk Jug 300 Yard 6.5 Swede

Here is a picture of a milk jug filled with water and shot with my Swede at 300 yards. As you may remember from before the rifle has a 2.5x10 Burris Mil Dot scope on it. I have it sighted in at 100 yards with the 6.5 Kurtz group buy. You may remember too I shoot the 6.5's at high velocity. Little more on that later. I places a cardboard behind the jug incase I had to take more then one shot to see where the bullets were going at that distance. Seems I didn't have to as the first mil dot below the crosshair was dead on for my load.

Now more about the high velocity. Some, or should I say many, question why shoot high velocity with the 6.5 Swede. Some are bona fide, but others I feel are sarcasm because they can't do it. Whatever I don't care. My reason is look at the damage to the jug. You can clearly see this wasn't any slow moving 6.5 bullet even at 300 yards. Further more the hole in the cardboard behind the jug showed very good expansion which surprised me. The alloy is 50/50 lead/wheelweights air cooled. Also I feel had I been shooting the bullet at say 1600 fps my drop would have been considerably more. I now have a pretty decent flat shooting cast load for my Swede which in my opinion is still pretty devastating at 300 yards.

Joe
    Last edited by robertbank; 01-15-2010 at 04:30 PM.

What was the velocity?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Buddy
    That is a very soft alloy to be shooting over 1600 fps. I even felt that my handgun boolits were too soft with only 2% Antimony or 50% ww/50% lead. But if you are getting that kind of accuracy why change a good thing!
    Lead is the new Gold!

Banned
    No it's not too soft an alloy. The velocity was little over 2300 fps. Much has to do how you load for the Swede. There is a very controversial loading technique that myself and a few other know about and use.

The proof is in the shooting and groups that have been done, again by myself and the few others. Water dropped or oven treated the alloy is much much harder.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice.

How many mills did you hold ever??

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Nice.

How many mills did you hold ever??

SHiloh
    Well I had to look to make sure I posted that and I did, but will repeat it for you. The first mil dot under the normal crosshair. I'd estimate maybe a 2-3 inch drop in the bullet from the 100 yard setting. I was quite surprised how flat it shot. I'll have to work up a load with BaBore's remake of the Lyman 266469 and see what it does as it's a tad heavier and longer for a even higher BC then the Kurtz. Remember that Kurtz is pretty much a flat nose.

I knew I had something at the shot because the jug literally exploded and kind of disappeared at the shot. I was expecting to see slight movement and some water spray.

Joe

Joe, why the mystery? Why the "only a few others and me know"?

Kinda weird....
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

Kinda weird....
    Been gone over in the other 6.5 posts numerous times. I'm not explaining it anymore. The only reason I mention it is so that one doesn't think they can normal load the Swede and achieve superb accuracy at high velocity and waste their components. I may do a test and waste my components and see if I can match these loads with conventional means. Final note: I believe there's been pretty much the whole technique described in many posts and also told about long ago.

Joe

Boolit Master

There is a very controversial loading technique that myself and a few other know about and use.
    So what is it, a duplex load or something?

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Heck .... anyone can hit a yellow milk jug. Don't they have the clear ones where you live? Just kidding ... good shooting. 6.5 is a nice caliber. I have 2 6.5 Japs that were my fathers. They both shoot cast very well.

Nighthunter

Banned

I changed an egr cooler on a 6.0L F-250 in under three hours on Monday. That requires a controversial and secret technique, too. Oh, wait! Sorry, wrong forum!!!

Gear

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

Kinda weird....
    The reason is, they are using unsafe loading practices.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    There is a very controversial loading technique that myself and a few other know about and use. Joe

Very controversial? Really?

Sounds ...................... rebellious.

Somebody goin to have to teach me this some day.

Ahhhh, never mind if it is unsafe.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthunter View Post
    Heck .... anyone can hit a yellow milk jug. Don't they have the clear ones where you live? Just kidding ... good shooting. 6.5 is a nice caliber. I have 2 6.5 Japs that were my fathers. They both shoot cast very well.

Nighthunter
    Actually we don't have the clear ones. They have the white and the yellow you saw. The yellow is from a premium dairy company here.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    Been gone over in the other 6.5 posts numerous times. I'm not explaining it anymore. Final note: I believe there's been pretty much the whole technique described in many posts and also told about long ago.

Joe

oh ? really ? you should, what about us noobes ? i have a swede, i'ed be interested in what you haves to say.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Very controversial? Really?

Sounds ...................... rebellious.

Somebody goin to have to teach me this some day.

Ahhhh, never mind if it is unsafe.
    It's controversial because either the posters get PO'ed because I won't tell them, some mad because they can't get the HV with accuracy, others with the excuse they don't need HV loads for the Swede, the list goes on. One member, although he won't admit, left the forum...but has since returned over fighting with me in the 6.5 threads.

Waksupi, just firing a firearm can be dangerous. The loading technique is/only dangerous if not done correctly....I guess you could say that about any kind of loading huh? Like too much of the wrong powder? Once again....no it's not duplex loading.....which I have done with some pretty good results.

All I know is thanks to the technique my Swede has become one of most enjoyable rifles firing cast bullets with the accuracy and velocity rivaling jacketed loads. Now I know with the mil dot scope and the load I have that I can nail what I'm shooting at from 0 to 300 yards pretty well. Seems the energy is still there at that distance too. Might have to chrono the velocity at 300 yards to figure up the energy.

It's still rifle season here in TN for deer and the Swede is what I'm using for the next deer.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
    oh ? really ? you should, what about us noobes ? i have a swede, i'ed be interested in what you haves to say.

Don't play into his hand. The less attention you pay, the sooner this will go away.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Banned
    My my, the 6.5 Swede is such a touchy subject here.

Joe

If you think this was a good shot say so, if not say so but leave it at that or the thread will get closed. We have been here before and we aren't going there again, are we? It is Christmas so I will leave it at that.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Talking

Good shooting!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 28 1234567891011 ... LastLast