Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 win. takeoff bbl.

308 win. takeoff bbl.

Hi folks been awhile since last posting. Got a ? for all.
    What to do with a takeoff rem 700 308 win bbl to fit 700 action?
    Originally purchased to replace a 22-250 with same contour.
    Havent made a decision weather to procede because the 308 bbl has
    been drilled and tapped for sights. Will this mate up with action with sights
    where they should be? or do the threads have to be turned off a half thread?
    Any help would be appreciated. THANKS AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

BRUCE

Boolit Master

You might get lucky and have the sight line up at the same time as head space. More often than not, though, a gunsmith would have to set it back a little for it all to line up right.

308 win takeoff bbl

If so then it would have to be rechambered to correct the headspace;correct?

maybe this topic should be moved to the gunsmith section.

Cast Boolits Owner

Moved.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

moved

Thank You No 1, Had a brain fart when I posted in castboolits

BRUCE

Cast Boolits Owner

No problem.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

Yes it would have to be headspaced again. It is real tricky to get the sight holes aligned exactly on a rebarrel. It is easier to have the old ones hidden inside the stock and drill new ones.Remington 700 actions have 16 TPI thread and calculating how many thousandths it takes to rotate the barrel 15 degrees and then taking that exact amount off is touchy. Not that it can't be done it is how much time will it take and will it be done the first time.If the gunsmith needs add an extra hour to accomplish the task @ $75/hr you could have bought anew Adams & Bennet barrel from Midway and had it installed and drilled and tapped for sights for the same money or a little more.
    Another way is to adjust the thickness of the recoil lug, buy to do it right would take a surface grinder, but a mill with a fly cutter may work also. .001" is the thickness of a piece of aluminum foil and that amount of metal can make a difference of weather the sights line up right or not.
    And after all this expense will the gun hit a paper plate at 50 yds? Why was the barrel changed?
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 12-11-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Thank You You may have saved me the expense not knowing the details
    involved.
    My original intent was a castbullet shooter that could be put
    together by just "rebarrelling". Ha!
    Thats ok I have no lack of castbullet rifles.

Just a thought

BRUCE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by castshooter-too View Post
    Thank You You may have saved me the expense not knowing the details
    involved.
    My original intent was a castbullet shooter that could be put
    together by just "rebarrelling". Ha!
    Thats ok I have no lack of castbullet rifles.

Just a thought

BRUCE
    If you were able to do the work yourself it would be a nice project to tackle or if you were putting a scope on the rifle it would work also.
    With today's machinery new good quality barrels at a fair price are available.

I have built 3 rifles and reworked 3 others and the cost is about $15,000, more or less with the cost of tooling and materials, not counting the cost of the property with the building for the shop, but I like tinkering!
    It is kind of like casting bullets, if you added the cost of molds ,pot, etc plus your time @ minimum wage, divided by the number of bullets those are some very expensive bullets!
    One mans work is another mans hobby!
    Take it to a good gunsmith and get his opinion and a price just for the heck of it.

Banned
    It was mentioned about working the barrel lug down to adjust indexing of the barrel. Well I do believe there are oversized lugs available, I know they are for that Savages. That is the lug is thicker. That would be a good choice to work down for proper fit in my opinion.

Joe

STARMETAL; Like mentioned in an earlier post machining down the lug to
    properly headspace and index could be costly.
    I'll contact a gunsmith in the area that has experence with
    this sort of thing.
    should have done this sooner.

BRUCE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by castshooter-too View Post
    STARMETAL; Like mentioned in an earlier post machining down the lug to
    properly headspace and index could be costly.
    I'll contact a gunsmith in the area that has experence with
    this sort of thing.
    should have done this sooner.

BRUCE
    It would be easier to cut the shoulder on the barrel and get the same result. Still will need to check the head space.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    It would be easier to cut the shoulder on the barrel and get the same result. Still will need to check the head space.
    You cut the shoulder back you will definitely have to reamer to specs. With the lug machining you may not.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Seems to me everyone is forgetting the 700 barrel has a bolt recess machined into the breech face of the barrel, "3 rings of steel" according to Rem. To time the sight screw holes you will have to move shoulder back, face and deepen recess all 3 the same amount, then ream chamber to headspace. And yes I have done several.
    Charter Member #148

sw wheeler; my take off bbl has no recess on the face.
    removed bolt and its a flush fit with a factory round inserted.

sorry that bbl does have a recess; was thinking of my savage swap bbl.
    my mistake
    ` swheeler is correct.

BRUCE

Banned
    If it is possible to take that barrel off the rifle, more then likely it will go back onto the same rifle correctly. With that said it is possible to put it on another Remington receiver and time it right without major work.

Couldn't you leave off the recoil lug and with the bolt in the receiver in closed position, screw the barrel it till it just touches the bolt and measure the gap you have left between the receiver face and barrel shoulder and tell you how much you're dealing with? Paying attention to where the sight screw are of course.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by StarMetal View Post
    If it is possible to take that barrel off the rifle, more then likely it will go back onto the same rifle correctly. With that said it is possible to put it on another Remington receiver and time it right without major work.

Couldn't you leave off the recoil lug and with the bolt in the receiver in closed position, screw the barrel it till it just touches the bolt and measure the gap you have left between the receiver face and barrel shoulder and tell you how much you're dealing with? Paying attention to where the sight screw are of course.

Joe
    Joe you have to use a go gage, determine how much it is out of time, take that % of .0625(1 thread) off leaving long .002-.003" for crush(that's how much it will move in on the HS gage when torqued up) The Kleindorst SP? Recoil lug tool and Cherry corners action wrench are a big help for fitting rec while barrel is still chucked up. That reminds me, where are those tools as I haven't seen them in many years. I have never found a Savage(which uses a lock nut) or a Rem that when swapping barrel from one rec to another that opens sights were in time. They get drilled and tapped for sights after the barrel is fit/headspaced. This is not to say it is that big of a job, used to be 25.00, then 40.00 and now a 100.00 job, but you definately want to know what the barrel condition is(especially the throat) before investing time and money. Personally I would want to remove enough to start with a new throat from my reamer.
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Joe you have to use a go gage, determine how much it is out of time, take that % of .0625(1 thread) off leaving long .002-.003" for crush(that's how much it will move in on the HS gage when torqued up) The Kleindorst SP? Recoil lug tool and Cherry corners action wrench are a big help for fitting rec while barrel is still chucked up. That reminds me, where are those tools as I haven't seen them in many years. I have never found a Savage(which uses a lock nut) or a Rem that when swapping barrel from one rec to another that opens sights were in time. They get drilled and tapped for sights after the barrel is fit/headspaced. This is not to say it is that big of a job, used to be 25.00, then 40.00 and now a 100.00 job, but you definately want to know what the barrel condition is(especially the throat) before investing time and money. Personally I would want to remove enough to start with a new throat from my reamer.
    Scot,

The old Savage 110 action that I recently rebarreled to 6.5x54MS was originally a 22-250 and I have an old 243 Savage barrel with the front and rear sight screw holes...guess what? It indexes the screws perfect with the go gauge. So yes, I've seen it happen. Another is a rebarreled a 1908 Brazilian with a new Mauser barrel and head space was dead on. Not sights installed on that barrel of course. Have also done it with revolver barrels with sights on them too.

Joe

Boolit Grand Master

Talking

[QUOTE=StarMetal;756819]Scot,

The old Savage 110 action that I recently rebarreled to 6.5x54MS was originally a 22-250 and I have an old 243 Savage barrel with the front and rear sight screw holes...guess what? It indexes the screws perfect with the go gauge.

All I can say is buy a Lotto ticket!
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast