Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Front sight height

Boolit Mold

Front sight height

As noted in several threads, my M1884 rifle shoots way high. I want to raise the front sight to shoot dead-on at 100 yards. I will try to modify the original sight. I tried to remove the sight using a punch, but, it is really tight and won't budge. Either way I go, how much height should I add to raise the front sight?

Boolit Buddy

Front Sight Height

Major Tom: I've read posts on how to calculate this, but here's what I did to determine the correct height of the front sight on my handi-rifle. I took some small wire and made what looks like a small tuning fork. the width between the two tines of the fork was about 1/4". I left the tail of the fork about 1" long. Next the tail (or handle) of the fork was bent 90 degrees to the tines of the fork. Next, the tines of the fork were taped to the barrel just behind the front sight with the handle centered with the front sight. so what you wind up with is a taller front sight. The final step is to fire the rifle using the new sight. It is a simple matter to fire the rifle and snip small pieces of the wire off to zero the rifle. Once it's where you want it, just measure the height of the wire to determine the correct height sight. Hope this helps.

siamese 4570

MT, you're not giving enough information on which a calculation can be made. If you tell us this, we can help:

Height of present sight

distance between back of front sight and rear sight

How much high is it shooting now at 100 yards?

Boolit Mold
    sight radius is 26 1/4 inch
    sight is 5/16 inch above barrel
    rear sight is 1/2 inch above barrel
    at 100 yds., bullets hit approx. 12-15 high using the 6-oclock hold

Boolit Master

Talking

Major Tom, .0076" will move the boolit impact 1.00" at 100 yards. You will need .0912" for 12" and .114" for 15".

Based on DH's calculations, you'll need a sight that's .425" above the barrel to make POI the same as POA.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you

Boolit Master
    Which sight are you using? The 1884 buffington sight has a battle sight of around 260 yards when laying flat with the service load that drove a 500 gr bullet at around 1225 fps. When you raise the ladder the sight can be zeroed for 100 yards and up to rediculous rianges. Of you are trying to get the sight to be on at 100 yards with the battle sight you will have to put a higher front sight on as noted by others above but then all your other sight settings will be off.