Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military 38 Special brass?

Military 38 Special brass?

I just came across some 38 Specials with a military headstamp that reads R A 6 5. Any headstamp historians out there who can shed some light on the origins of such brass? It has been reloaded but is this brass really 45 years old?

Boolit Buddy
    The headstamp stands for Remington Arms 1965. It really is that old. In my opinion military .38 Special brass is good quality but if you try to seat very long bullets in it the case walls will bulge and prevent chambering in some revolvers.

MLV

Thanks Mike. I've loaded them up with my Lee TL-358-158-SWC boolits and I noticed that there were no bulges in the brass (my boolits drop at .359). It seems to chamber just fine in my S&W 638 snubbie.

I'm assuming you were thinking of boolits longer than 158gr SWC's. I've got a whole box of 'em and they look like good quality.

I had a few loaded cartridges from WWII. They were hard ball, but badly corroded. I pulled the bullets and discarded everything, it was back in the 60s and I couldn't imagine any value to them at all.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

You'll find brass headstamped with "WCC", "WRA", "R A", "F C", "L C", "IVI", "TZZ" and "IMI" on military .38 brass. There may be others, but those are the ones I've run across.

It's normally thicker brass, and some have the primer crimped, just like other calibers of U.S. Military brass. It's good brass and generally lasts longer than commercial, due to the greater thickness of the case walls.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    A long time ago I acquired a bunch of RA 64 brass in .38 Spl and it is by far my favorite .38 brass. Plenty of reloads and I don't recall any split necks.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I'm working my way thru a 5 gallon bucket of military 38 cases, several hundred nickel plated FC from the 80's. Lots of WCC 71 and LC 77/78, so far only the LC is crimped, some of the older RA from the 60's. All good brass. I've also got to go thru about half a bucket of Military 45 ACP cases, mostly FC 96/97/98 and crimped. Thats why I have a Dillon crimp tool.

Boolit Master

My only caveat about GI .38 brass is that it is so tough that it will swage down soft boolits. I tried some w/commercial HBWC's in my Clark .38, and they were all over. Pulled one and it was obviously squoze - didn't measure at the time, but never used GI brass for the Clark after that.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    I still have a few rounds of tracer .38 Specials. Supposedly it was issued to naval and marine aviators for signaling search and rescue aircraft. Most of them carried S&W .38s in WW2.

Boolit Master

Have about 150 if someone wants them. most have had pocket sized and all are shinny---shipping?

Mike, I was Air Force and was also issued tracer .38 ammo along with a 4" S&W revolver. We also got ball ammo, but most of us who flew the FAC mission carried six tracers to use for signaling. We knew we weren't going to win any land battles with a .38 for sure.

The common wisdom was to plan on using five and saving the last one for oneself.

Back to the present; the only problem I've had with GI brass is that it is so thick that I can't use a gas-checked bullet in it or I can't chamber the loaded ammo in my old Flattop Blackhawk. They will just barely chamber in a Security Six and drop into my Colt Officers' Match, thank goodness.

Just a bit OT, but it bears repeating occasionally.....

Like Mike said, bulging cases when seating long bullets is fairly common, even with commercial brass. It can be a big problem when seating wadcutters.

Most of the manufacturers identify brass that was originally loaded with wadcutters with two cannalures around the case. Since I learned that I've had no problems with bulged cases.

Jerry

Boolit Mold
    Shotman,
    I'd be happy to take them off your hands and pay the shipping if no one's spoken for them already. They'd be perfect to load rounds for my Navy marked Victory model. One of the Navy Civilians (retired aviator) who works on the base I'm stationed at said that he carried one of these revolvers when he was flying Intruders into Vietnam in the 1960s (with tracer rounds). Navy helicopter pilots carried 38 revolvers at least into the early 1990s (that's what they were issued on my first ship from 1992-1996. In those days, we carried three types of handguns - 1911A1s for ship's company, 38 revolvers for the aviation detachment, and 9mm Berettas for the Coast Guard detachment.

Boolit Buddy
    Rocky: Thanks for that tidbit. I didn't know the Air Force issued them too. I don't have one but I do have one of the Brit versions chambered for the .38/200.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a quantity of military brass in my supply from various manufacturers. Pretty common if one acquires a lot of .38 brass.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a quantity of military brass in my supply from various manufacturers. Pretty common if one acquires a lot of .38 brass.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    I have been using the same GI cases for 38s for almost 40 years. Compared to commercial they almost never wear out. I probably have a 5 gallon bucket of 38spl brass but the stuff almost never gets tossed. I guess my kids will inherit most of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Like NickSS said! Have loaded mil 38s with various markings for many years. Only wish that the mil had adopted the 357. Oh well!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Heck, I have an unopened box of mil .38 ball stored under my bench, plus a partial box. (It is not very good stuff, being both inaccurate and greatly downloaded. It has a 130-gr FMJ and clocks under 700 fps.)

Boolit Mold
    I have a bunch. Thick as a brick,but works well for CB loads. I likes it