RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 40 cal from 9mm easiest by far and cheap!

Boolit Master
    If you aren't going straight to the 10, I suggest a witness in 40S&W. It is a CZ-clone, and a good one at that. EAA is not known for the customer service, but recent reports have been better. My two guns are winners.

Once nice thing about the Witness line of guns is the caliber conversion kits. Buy a standard Witness large frame in your desired caliber, and they make uppers for all the others. 9mm, .38 super, 40S&W, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. At one time they had a 41 AE upper too I think. I have two 10mm and a 38 super barrel that I need to get off my duff and have reamed for 9X25.

A Witness should run you about $400, or double the high point, but it is a much better weapon. And the caliber conversions are about $200, so you are back in the high-point pricing for any future calibers you want. Get the 40S&W and all you will need to go to 10mm is a new barrel, which is about $90.00.

Boolit Master
    You could always opt for the Glock with an aftermarket barrel.. they are popular around here at least in the USPSA crowd.. or you could opt for a 610 in either the 3 7/8" or 6.5" tube..

Boolit Bub
    Have these been test fired yet?

Vendor Sponsor

A couple thousand of the 44 caliber of this same design has been shot and results are very impresive with %90+ retained weight and good accuracy. Have also had similar sucess with 41 caliber bullets from the 9mm as well as 357s from 223 rem brass, but no I have not tried the 40 cal yet. With all the previous success of bullets from brass of this same design I would expect the same great results. I have shipped out a few hundred for testing. We shall see what comes back. A few threads back there was a review of some 44s I had made with positive results and a happy shooter.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if you could use lead shot as a core in the 9mm brass for .40 bullets.
    Be the bullet...

Yup sure can another poster done it.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

In Remembrance

I want weight accuracy/consistancy for my resultant bullets. Not sure you would get much bullet to bullet weight accuracy using shot.

Maybe you can test it, weight the results, and report back. Sure would be easier and faster than casting bullets to use as cores.

Quote Originally Posted by ebg3 View Post
    I wonder if you could use lead shot as a core in the 9mm brass for .40 bullets.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    Using birdshot would make one nasty round. I can't imagine the mess that would make in whatever you shot... I can't say I would want to shoot something for the dinner table with that. Guessing the meat loss would be substantial...

However for a 2 legged preditor... Have at it, make all the mess you want.

Boolit Buddy
    I figured it would be easier with shot. The problems I can see are; shot is costly and it may not want to stay in the "jacket". You may have to use larger shot and then you might not get the weight you want. This is all speculation on my part...
    EG
    Be the bullet...

Boolit Master
    If you use shot, it will work better with a two die set. First seat the shot so it expands to the core seat die, then put it in the point form die. I have made them in the 22 lr jacketed bullets and man are they explosive! Eventhough the lead looks like one piece, as soon as it hits, it all comes apart. I think the smaller the shot the easier it is to get enough lead into the jacket, less air between the shot to squeeze out.

Boolit Master
    That sounds like it would make a great frangible for shooting plates at close range.

Boolit Master
    I been thinking about how you could make frangibles, but in this application, wouldn't jacket be a potential hazard?

I'm really tempted myself, once budget clears and I get myself one of BT's dies, to try damp sawdust or newspaper instead of a cast bootlit and top it with a plastic ball or some wax.

BT, looking at your pics I for the first time noticed you put the cast bootlit in nose down. Any particular reason e.g. nose heavy bullets are more accurate or some such?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    I been thinking about how you could make frangibles, but in this application, wouldn't jacket be a potential hazard?

I'm really tempted myself, once budget clears and I get myself one of BT's dies, to try damp sawdust or newspaper instead of a cast bootlit and top it with a plastic ball or some wax.

BT, looking at your pics I for the first time noticed you put the cast bootlit in nose down. Any particular reason e.g. nose heavy bullets are more accurate or some such?

The nose down takes less effort to seat, as it more closely matches the inside of the case.

I made a core seating die out of my Lee powder through expander, I made a solid version of the powder through piece, so I bell with it, then drop in a bullet and mash it .100" into the case. Until I made the solid center the bullet/core would get stuck in the hole and pull back out of the case. While it isn't a perfect tool it should give me a more consistent starting point for when my 101 die gets here.

Boolit Master
    When shooting plates at close range, I'm more concerned with a hunk of flattened lead coming back at me than just the relatively light portion of jacket.. and being frangible, with properly maintained steel (ie not parabolic), likely it will go to pieces before bouncing back and causing mayhem.. though the 9mm into 40 cal bullets has a pretty thick base compared to standard jacketed 9mm's which are sometimes FMJ with lead exposed or JHP's with no lead exposed on the base. As soon as I get my die and get things set up, I guess I'll have to do some experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by richbug View Post
    The nose down takes less effort to seat, as it more closely matches the inside of the case.

I made a core seating die out of my Lee powder through expander, I made a solid version of the powder through piece, so I bell with it, then drop in a bullet and mash it .100" into the case. Until I made the solid center the bullet/core would get stuck in the hole and pull back out of the case. While it isn't a perfect tool it should give me a more consistent starting point for when my 101 die gets here.
    Could you possibly post some pics.
    Thanks,
    Ed

Vendor Sponsor

Yep the nose down is becouse it fits the inside of the case better that way requiring less lead to be displaced to make the bullet. THis equals less pressure and ware on your equipment IMO.

That .100 depth is what I shoot for when I do seat the cores with a core seater of various calibers if I intend to make a bullet that the jacket extends to the tip of the bullet. Works about perfect with the CH dies this way.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

I have been looking for good deals on 40 cal guns latly and though I would like a carbine the highpoint just dosen't look like it will be avialble anytime soon so I have been looking into available postols in 40 cal. Found a Ruger P-94 almost new for $250 but it was sold out from under me. Probably ment to be I guess as I told a close friend about it and he said to get a witness. Sounded fimilar and a quick glance at this thread reminded me many of you had said the same thing. So another quick search on line and I found one in 40 cal with the wonder coat + extras for $300. Well I jumped on it and waiting for repply. Best thing is it is with in a hour drive so I can be shooting and testing these home made bullets soon. I like the idea of swtiching uppers for different calibers. It said it was a full size pistol so I imagine it will feed any of the other calibers just fine?

Good shooting,

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

I don't understand get a witness? Man it sucks that you lost out on that Ruger P-94. I missed out on a P-89 in 9mm. Them Ruger P models are awsome and hard to beat. My neighbor has the P-90 and the P-89. Those are the sweet to shoot and dang on accurate as well.....

Boolit Master
    I've heard lots of bad things about the Witness in 9mm. The 40cal version apparently has none of the problems the 9mm does.

I haven't heard of a single pistol that switches "uppers" well, like a AR10/15 to a different caliber. Those 22LR kits I guess are an exception, depending on the brand, but they are so pricey you may as well just get a 22LR pistol.

Oh, I think I already mentioned, but avoid the Glock 40cals unless you don't mind shoooting factory ammo only, no reloads. The Glock clones (Springfields and the like) don't seem to have this problem. I've been intrigued by the Beretta in 40 (roller-block, if I got that right -- maybe very boolit friendly), but have never gotten interested enough to look into it.

Anyway, hope this helps.

I appologize. I feel kinda dumb now. I had not heard of the Witness firearm. I was thinking along the lines of having someone witness you or something. I do admit, I am still learning whats all out there!!!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast