Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 40 cal from 9mm easiest by far and cheap!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    With the stock core seat base punch they "used to" provide (not sure what may have changed) it was impossible to seat the core inside the jacket with the core seat die. Yes I know how to make Jhp bullets with no lead exposed using CH dies but it required a specific core seat punch. Are you telling us we can now seat the core inside the jacket with no exposed lead using the 101 die as shipped? Has ch changed the design of their core seat base punches?
    Could have swore we were talking about the dies themselves. "Can I get you to please ship a 9mm seat punch with those .40 cal dies please Amanda?" So yes you can order them to make a non lead exposed hollow point tip straight from the factory. I mean common how hard is it to get another punch from the manufacturer?

You were making it look like their dies could not make a complete jacketed hollow point. We all know your whole business started from upgrading internals on CH4D Dies! Anything your dies can do theirs can do.
    Last edited by Utah Shooter; 04-18-2015 at 01:03 AM.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

I'm going to try a Lee 9mm sizer punch with the 38cal #101, to be able to use a longer jacket and have less exposed lead. Would require a stepped punch to seat inside the jacket. Shrugs. Just want a little bit less lead so the sizer punch should work fine.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger762 View Post
    I'm going to try a Lee 9mm sizer punch with the 38cal #101, to be able to use a longer jacket and have less exposed lead. Would require a stepped punch to seat inside the jacket. Shrugs. Just want a little bit less lead so the sizer punch should work fine.
    Is this what you are thinking of for the core seat die?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08921.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	132698

Boolit Mold

9mm to 10mm on a Progressive Press

Here's a video showing expanding, core seating, and notching on a Dillon progressive using BTSniper's die set. I'll post the point forming step on a Corbin CHP Hydro next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-NdtGHwRWU

Vendor Sponsor

Excellent set up with the Dillon progressive. Those are going to become perfect JHP bullets very quickly. I'm going to have to get me a set up just like that

Can't wait to see the Hydro press in action.

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Walkstep View Post
    Here's a video showing expanding, core seating, and notching on a Dillon progressive using BTSniper's die set. I'll post the point forming step on a Corbin CHP Hydro next.

This is how I do mine on the 650 but I use a case feeder and bullet feeder. Cheap, fast and easy... What could be better than that?

Come to think of it, I should start posting some videos now that the basement is closer to finished.
    Last edited by xman777; 04-22-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Would love to see some videos!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Mold

9mm to 10mm point forming on Corbin Hydro

Here is the point forming step on the Corbin CHP-1 hydraulic press:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG2oh8C9Bmg

The press is cycling in Auto mode with Position and Auto Pressure Reverse switches set to On to control the diameter and protect the BTSniper point forming die against over-travel and over-pressure. The bullets consistently achieve the .3995 inch diameter die spec (and look pretty cool). The cycle timers are set conservatively (longer delays) while I learn the process. The system hydraulic pressure at the top of stroke is ~650 psi which calcs to 17,185 psi internal die pressure.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the point forming step on the Corbin CHP-1 hydraulic press:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG2oh8C9Bmg

The press is cycling in Auto mode with Position and Auto Pressure Reverse switches set to On to control the diameter and protect the BTSniper point forming die against over-travel and over-pressure. The bullets consistently achieve the .3995 inch diameter die spec (and look pretty cool). The cycle timers are set conservatively (longer delays) while I learn the process. The system hydraulic pressure at the top of stroke is ~650 psi which calcs to 17,185 psi internal die pressure.
    You're making me want to get a hydraulic press!
    Last edited by goblism; 05-06-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Boolit Bub

I do pretty much the same on a 1050, with a case and bullet feede, using a standard expander at the start of the process. then its on the lathe to trim the rims off, and into the Corbin CHP11 for point forming, unfortunately by hand. The initial process is extremely quick using the 1050.
    We have had exceptional results with these bullets out of a .40S&W. On a recently culled giraffe thigh (skin removed)- consistant expansion to 17.2mm, 100 % weight retention (unbonded, no cannelure) and 30cm expansion in dense flesh (around 12" for the metrically challenged) Thats with a low end load. Accuracy was remarkable as was extreme spread over chrony.

Boolit Mold
    SAndy37, that is fascinating...testing the round on a giraffe thigh. A few questions: Why do you trim the rim off (and do you leave the primer in)? Is this an automatic process on the lathe? Is the 1050 strong enough to to do the point forming? Thanks.

Vendor Sponsor

Great job with the point forming!

I got me a RCE hydraulic press I am now learning with. I'll have more to post soon.

Good shooting and swage on!

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Mold
    Congrats on the RCE hydraulic press! Looking forward to your posts about it.

I initially bought my hydraulic press to size and load .416 Barrett brass after breaking a Lee Classic on the round (Lee sent repair parts for free). But this swaging project is my first use for it. I have a set of RBTO-HT(tip insert) dies in .416 coming to give me some options besides the lathe turned solids for the Barrett.

Boolit Buddy

What kind of parts will I need to make the RCE Hydro press work for forming? Seems like its the only way to go now.

Boolit Bub
    SAndy37, that is fascinating...testing the round on a giraffe thigh. A few questions: Why do you trim the rim off (and do you leave the primer in)? Is this an automatic process on the lathe? Is the 1050 strong enough to to do the point forming? Thanks.
    sorry about the delayed response. I trim the rim off because on some cases the rim engages the case web on seating and ripples it. While it's possible to do it automatically, I only have a manual lathe, so it's one by one for me at present. I have trimmed with and without primers, it's easier without on my process, as the primer is just more to remove. I seriously doubt you could point form on a 1050. I'm sure the press could cope, but how would you drive the bullet-to-be into the die?
    im going to try post a pic of those giraffe tested bullets ( note- the giraffe was shot under supervision and contract from the wildlife authorities here as part of a conservation programme. I didn't shoot it, that was a pro hunter mate of mine) for the observant, those bullets still have the rim on- it was before I started trimming them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    I have just started absorbing all this data on swaging. I have some questions.
    How do the swaged casing jackets perform in polygonal rifling-i.e. Glock and BHW?
    I have a 10mm G20 and a 5.56 3P 1:7 BHW barrel on my straight pull AR.
    -BTSniper, that 40-308 looks very interesting!
    I haven't seen any pics of .500 boolits. I also reload for .50 Beo.
    MikeH

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    Armor piercing is steel core. These are lead core.

Banned

From the cited law.

(a) “Armor piercing ammunition” means a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a pistol and which is constructed entirely, excluding the presence of traces of other substances, of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, or beryllium copper. Armor piercing ammunition does not include any of the following:

Ok, it says constructed entirely.

Cant be too careful in a police state.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BulletFactory View Post
    From the cited law.

(a) “Armor piercing ammunition” means a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a pistol and which is constructed entirely, excluding the presence of traces of other substances, of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, or beryllium copper. Armor piercing ammunition does not include any of the following:

Ok, it says constructed entirely.

Cant be too careful in a police state.
    I hear ya' brother. Maybe things will start to get a little better in Jan 2017..................

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast