MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 40 cal from 9mm easiest by far and cheap!

I just can't get over the expansion you're getting in those, excellent work. I've shot thousands of jacketed HPs and had people bring me hundreds of examples of what they consider to be the 'perfect expansion' and I have to say, what you folks are getting here is at the very least comparable if not superior in some cases.

It never ceases to amaze me the kind of quality the caster/swager can achieve for pennies on the dollar for what factory-ammo costs (and I sell factory ammo!). I would say reloading gear makes up maybe 15% of my gross sales, casting maybe 5% and thats with me pushing both; if only people took the time to educate themselves...

What kind of die are you using to cut the tips of those bullets? I just placed my order for a Blackmon kit for rimfire-to-.224 and I'm already looking in to adding dies for .38 Special/.357 Magnum as well as .45ACP. I'd really like to get the result you've got going on there with the pre-cut HP's.

Nix check out BT Sniper dies here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=117577

Hey BT would I need to send my dies back to you if I want to make bb tips or can I just buy the extra insert for the dies both 45 and 40

Boolit Master

You want EXPANSION?

Quote Originally Posted by Fla9-40 View Post
    Here are some BT's 165gr ±4gr 40cal from 9mm after they hit a steel plate: SWEEEEET!!!
    This is the only one I found yesterday, it hit a 3/8" mild steel target:

Weight retention was not so good!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tbj555 View Post
    Hey BT would I need to send my dies back to you if I want to make bb tips or can I just buy the extra insert for the dies both 45 and 40
    Sorry I missed this one. Send me a PM reminder before end of month. I should be able to supply you what you need without your dies in hand.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

After through investigation I am going to enter the world of swaging. However I have a couple questions about dies for 40 S&W/ 10mm.
    I understand the "all in one" die for using 9mm brass, but if I want to use copper tubing do I need a two die set or can I just use the all in one and the copper tubing jacket die? The second is what is the best way to keep copper jacketed bullets kinda in the same weight. I want to make jhp of different weights, but I want to try to keep them as consistent as I can, but I am not looking for bench rest accuracy. The 9mm all in one is a really sweet set up but I just want to try to save a little where I can cause the ss check can go so far. I plan to make the cores with the core mold.

Boolit Mold
    Awesome idea

Boolit Buddy
    A couple more weeks! I cam barely wait! Giggidy!
    "Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    if i wanted to swage the case/core into an hollow point bullet, what part numbers would i need from ch4d 101 parts:

edit: never mind, looks like they don't offer this anymore and i will look into making my own die
    Last edited by Cane_man; 04-17-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy

It was a pleasant surprise when I recieved my dies in the mail yesterday, gotta say I really like the smell of the nitrate process..now I have to get set up and start making some bullets.
    Thanks BT.

Vendor Sponsor

Your welcome!

Good shooting and swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy
    I recently made a discovery that seemed to make the things go easier and bullets turn out better. SOFT LEAD. I've been using BTs 9 to 40 with range scrap and/or wheel weights. I got my hands on a score of soft lead and the bullets have been much easier to form the nose, and with better results. I used to get maybe 10% with a wrinkles in them, now 100% what I call "perfect" bullets. These wrinkles didn't affect anything but now ALL the bullets look perfect. If this has been mentioned before using soft lead I missed it, but hopefully this will help others on this adventure!! Off to swage some more!

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! Soft lead is almost always better on all accounts.

Good shooting!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy

Ok, well I finally got around to making my 40 cal jacketed hollow points from 9mm brass. Now I have been waiting to make them as I wanted to make sure I had all the right materials and tools to make quality projectiles. I have to say I am making some quality bullets but I have a few questions. 1st. In the instructions it refers to the amount of force on press no more than Full Length sizing? Well I have to say I have to use quite a bit more force than that in fact the handle will flex a bit from time to time on my Lee Classic Cast. Also on the upstroke I have to RAM it up in order for a 1 stroke ejection or if I use less force its like I am hammering the bullet out with the auto eject. 2nd there is some markings around the ogive sort of like a ring around the bullet after point forming. Is this normal? Am I just supposed to remove this in the final polish/tumbling process? Lastly what is the best recommended final polishing media and in what type of tumbler? I use the SS pins in a rock tumbler to clean the annealed brass and that works great but not as good on final cleaning, infact it dulls the shiny finish of the freshley squished lead hollow point. I will try to post some pics soon, dont get me wrong I am making some A1 projectiles I just need to figure a few things out.

Boolit Master

Are you useing any lube?
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy

Yes, please understand that I am experienced in swaging so the no brainers I am sure I am doing correctly. I am also using pure soft lead as well before I get asked that next. I am really looking for the answer to the question is that normal? I see guys having upgraded handles and modifying press for leverage. Maybe that's what I need to do I am just not sure.

Boolit Master
    I bought the swage ram for my Rock Chucker and I can crank along nicely about 23 bullets per minute when I'm serious about swaging.. This is with the ejector installed.. The Lee is sort of minimal for the job IMO.. the press that seems like it would have lots of leverage is an old Herters that I have but at the moment I use it for sizing bullets the "lee" way out in the casting shed..

Boolit Buddy

The press is handleing it just fine, nevermind thanks for the responses but they are not in line with any of my questions. Brian has been in contact with me I will get these wrinkles ironed out. In the mean time I will post some pictures of my finished product, they look good.

Being in the dark for years what does this type of bullet do to the pressures

If anyone needs 9mm brass in bulk, please let me know. I can price it right for swagers

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast