Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: All around reloading manual

All around reloading manual

Im hoping some one could stear me to a good all around shotshell reloading manual. I intend to load a little of every thing from #8's to slugs and maybe even some 000buck. I recently was given a MEC 12ga reloader and am itching to use it this winter. Thanks
    Stillwell

Lyman

Boolit Master
    +1. Lyman. Also, check out Ballistic Products (bing it).
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

+1 on Lyman and Lee's manual.

Marlinreloader

Boolit Grand Master

While the Lyman is good I think there is more variety of data in Reloading For Shotgunners.

You can also go to the powder manufacturers's sites and get loads (Alliant, Hodgdon, etc.). They have lots of good info free.

Personally I have three editions of the Lyman shotgun reloading manuals, Lee manual, Reloading For Shotgunners, the BPI Shotshell Reloading Manual, BPI Slug Loading manual, BPI Buckshot Reloading manual, Alliant data, IMR data, Hercules data, Winchester data and a variety of data from magazines or published recipes here and there but still often find that getting all the correct components listed can be a challenge. Mind you, I live in a small area and reloading components are scarce.

You don't need 'em all but it doesn't hurt.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    +1 with longbow.
    I have four editions of the Lyman and many of the other books he listed, and if I could have only one book it would be Rick Sapp's Reloading for Shotgunners. Beside having more variety in components, it is organized in a way that just makes sense to me.

Lyman's only advantage IMO, is the nice color pictures of the hull identification section.

Still....the more books you have, the better chances that someone has tested a load made with the stuff you have on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    While the Lyman is good I think there is more variety of data in Reloading For Shotgunners.

You can also go to the powder manufacturers's sites and get loads (Alliant, Hodgdon, etc.). They have lots of good info free.

Personally I have three editions of the Lyman shotgun reloading manuals, Lee manual, Reloading For Shotgunners, the BPI Shotshell Reloading Manual, BPI Slug Loading manual, BPI Buckshot Reloading manual, Alliant data, IMR data, Hercules data, Winchester data and a variety of data from magazines or published recipes here and there but still often find that getting all the correct components listed can be a challenge. Mind you, I live in a small area and reloading components are scarce.

You don't need 'em all but it doesn't hurt.

Longbow
    i have tried to use online data but it seams so much easier to just look in the book. i reload in the garage and dont have the net in there. thanks for the info

Boolit Grand Master

Because I like Green Dot, Unique and Blue Dot I printed all the Alliant recipes for the hulls I have. Same problem, the computer isn't where I reload and being an old guy, I like paper anyway.

Like I said, the more info I get the better, so if I find it I print it for future reference. Building shotgun loads is not as easy as building metallic cartridge loads and I do not like straying far from published data. I have one blown up shotgun and some hearing damage from a shotshell reloading mishap.

It is fun to play, but play safe!

Longbow

+1 with longbow.
    I have four editions of the Lyman and three editions of Reloading for Shotgunners and many of the other books he listed, a word of warning the books by BPI (buckshot loading)and Precision have mainly loading data for components they sell or I cant get here.Living in Australia they were not a great help IMO.

Lyman's biggest advantage over the others IMO, is the nice color pictures of the hull & wad identification section.

I think the more books you have on hand,will give you a better chance that some one has tested a load from the components you have on hand.

I would recommend your first book be a Lyman only because of the identification pages,it was by first book and it help me greatly IMO.
    Last edited by overload; 02-07-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have no Problems with the Lyman books--in fact I have four of them. There is one book with BETTER color photos of actual shotshells that are slit to show you the insides, and much more accurate identifcation of older hulls. Some primer/powder info is outdated, having been printed in the mid-1980's, but it has helped to identify many hulls I've found that the Lyman books didn't mention, or at least didn't accurately depict. The book is Handbook of Shotshell Reloading by Kenneth Cougar. It is (as they all are) produced by a company wanting to endorse its own products (MEC Reloaders in this case), but it is an excellent reloading manual. Here is where to get a cheap copy:

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Shots...9&sr=8-1-fkmr2

I got mine three weeks ago, and it has helped to sift through bunches of old hulls I had no idea how to identify.

If you are only using new stuff though, the Lyman 5th edition might be the way to go, although I still use Sapp's edition of reloading for Shotgunners most often.
    Last edited by diehard; 02-08-2010 at 01:34 AM.