RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: How practical is the Bowie Knife?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Big knives are good for camp chores, but lack a bit for hunting. I have used big knives for the purpose, but a smaller one is always handier. I generally carry a Camillus double blade Trapper, lock back for my main cutting tool when hunting.

Here is an original Hudson's Bay camp knife I have in my collection.
    The HB Camp Knives are interesting blades! Mine has a very heavy 9" blade that is 1/4" at the spine and is fully hollow ground between the spine and the edge. The hilt is horn. What is the maker of yours?

This one's a Jukes Coulson. (For those unfamiliar with them, they are larger and heavier than photos indicate.) Made a sheath for it as shown in picture. Not because I plan on carrying it too much Thought it deserved something to keep it in though.
    Last edited by 405; 12-29-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Banned

Can't believe this thread is up to 6 pages.

Very cool knife. Very nice leather design 405. I've never seen one of those. How old is it?

Boolit Master

PatMarlin,
    The exact age of some of these tools used during the 1800s can be hard to determine. Company history/records can indicate date ranges. I think that most all if not all tools made by the Sheffield cutlers prior to the mid- late 1890s will be stamped "Sheffield". Those made after that time will be stamped "Sheffield England". The local smith-made or self-made items can be nearly impossible to age. The Hudson's Bay Company was one of the big tool/utensil suppliers to North American pioneers. Best estimate on this Jukes Coulson, Sheffield camp knife is 1870s-80s. I understand these large camp knives were used in the Buffalo hunting camps.

Just my imagination for the sheath. I would think most were just carried in bags or chuck boxes along with all other such tools and utensils.
    Last edited by 405; 07-17-2010 at 11:06 AM.

The knife blades have alot of radiused surfaces that should be flat.
    I have done one of the 6 so far.

Back in the early 60's, me and several other guys bought Randall knives. Mine was an 8" blade No. 1 which was Randalls idea of what a modern fighting Bowie should be. In 1963 or so I shot my first Antelope in West Texas and was trying to use the 8" Randall to field dress it. I kept puncturing the guts in the process. The Rancher stood by and watched me struggle for a few minutes and then pitched me his Case three blade stock knife and told me to us it. That little pocket folder did the job very well.

How good is a Bowie for a hunting knife? Not worth a damn!

Another of the guys, chipped the blade on his Randall choping wood and sent it back to Bo Randall to be reground. He got it back with a very salty letter from Bo himself. He stated knives were knives and axes were axes and he made knives. They were not designed or ground the same. If the idiot who used the knife for an ax wanted an ax, Bo would make him a hand forged ax for the job.

I don't think much of large knives for general camp knives either. An ax or shovel will do each job far better.

Old time Bowies look cool and have a cool history and plenty of panache. However there are better fighting knife designs around these days. The Bowie is pretty much a relic of the past without much real use.

Back in the early 60's, me and several other guys bought Randall knives. Mine was an 8" blade No. 1 which was Randalls idea of what a modern fighting Bowie should be. In 1963 or so I shot my first Antelope in West Texas and was trying to use the 8" Randall to field dress it. I kept puncturing the guts in the process. The Rancher stood by and watched me struggle for a few minutes and then pitched me his Case three blade stock knife and told me to us it. That little pocket folder did the job very well.

How good is a Bowie for a hunting knife? Not worth a damn!

Another of the guys, chipped the blade on his Randall choping wood and sent it back to Bo Randall to be reground. He got it back with a very salty letter from Bo himself. He stated knives were knives and axes were axes and he made knives. They were not designed or ground the same. If the idiot who used the knife for an ax wanted an ax, Bo would make him a hand forged ax for the job.

I don't think much of large knives for general camp knives either. An ax or shovel will do each job far better.

Old time Bowies look cool and have a cool history and plenty of panache. However there are better fighting knife designs around these days. The Bowie is pretty much a relic of the past without much real use.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Wink

"Na, needs more garlic", "Knoife?", "That's not a knoife".

Top------Borneo, Sea Dyak (alt. Dayak) Parang, ca 1825
    Middle---US Issue SA M1909, ca 1910
    Bottom--Western USA Bowie W49, ca 1980
    Last edited by 405; 12-29-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    I think that's spelled "gahlic".

Nice blades, I like the middle one.

Boolit Master

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    And another factor.. just how do you get to the CAMP...
    I am a kayak traveler.. when I get the chance up there in the state of ILL. or the other surrounding meandering liquid highways. Weight and space is the issue to me. Plus plain old packability with easy access. I use one of them 35 pound plastic kayaks. Total recommended weight is about 220. So my 158 pounds, cloths and gear has to be carefully thought out.
    A hachet is just to big. A hawk is not bad but a thick bladed bowie (Kabar or Gerber) are easier to store and do not add any weight. Add a blade smacker and it will cut as well as a hawk. I always have a 4" Gerber Easy Out on my body so the two covered all my needs. That is until one day on North Fork an agressive Saint Bernard decided maybe a kayak would be a nice play toy on a shalow area. Fortunatly he entered the water while I was still a bit upstream and blew his ambush. I can paddle in reverse real fast and one I was back into 3 feet of water the game was over. I now carry a 5 foot Zulu type spear lashed to the right outside of my kayak. That is my first choice of a bladed item for self defense.
    Mike in Peru
    Got to have me one of those Zulu's. A number of years ago I had an experience with a Rottweiler (A big one) in the middle of a Arksanas river on a canoe trip could have been a bad deal, thats where being aware of your surroundings is very important. Saw him before he saw me was able to scoot around him. He wasn't happy with that deal.

Two years ago had 9 pigs swim a river in Missouri in the fall during deer season. I was out of tags so didn't have a rifle. Had friend with me and suggested that he bring a rifle as he had a tag left but nope deer down there weren't big enough for him to shoot. Circled those pigs tried to drown them but they float pretty good, thought about running over one but had visions of 200 ft. of pig guts wrapped around my prop. Really didn't want a live wild pig in the boat with all kinds of expensive fishing gear. But if I had that Zulu would have been eating pork chops with fried crappie!

Which brings up the last reason so far anyway, ever notice when you find a good crappie hotspot here comes all the old crappie dogs that spot you. I've had em close enough to bang crappie rods I bet if I proped up that Zulu that would back em off, might even put it on a extend handle like painters use.

Great thread anyway hope it keeps going!

Boolit Buddy

Bowie is the knife i'd have- provided i either made it myself, or was directly involved with the design process- for both EDC and any SHTF scenario you care to mention.

Chargar, i feel your pain. I toured the Randall knife museum a few years ago, and veiwed the framed exploded construction knives they have there. I was a little disapointed in the tang, for such a lauded tool. Randalls are good knives, but they should stand up to a little chopping with no issues. BUT...a Randall AIN'T a BOWIE...two diferent kettles of fish.
    I think you may be pleasantly surprised how well a good one works. paired with a smaller fixed, blade and a leatherman(fro the pliers and screwdrivers) and i'd be pretty happy.

A properly made fighting bowie- a Bagwell Helles Belle- in trained hands makes all other "fighting" knives a joke. Fast, devistating, repeatable blows. Ever wonder why the bowie was outloawed? 'Cuz they were made diferently than todays knives, as they were front line, serious use tools, and modern manufacturing was not a factor.

Boolit Master

Bowies are only good for one thing....

..........and that's posting pictures of them here. My mom bought me this one circa mid 1990's for Christmas. Absolutely beautiful, razor sharp original Colt laser engraved Bowie. Never comes off the display stand except to keep oiled and cleaned which it needs right now.

.................now I guess if the SHTF I'd be glad I had this around but it's useless for hunting purposes and it weighs a ton.

Sure is COOL though.................<GRIN>

”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Blade is too long.

Use a hatchet for campsite chopping/brush clearing.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456