Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite 45 ACP Load

Boolit Grand Master
    "You stated in your third paragraph, that approching the 950 fps with the 255 grain in your estimation would LIKELY be in the +P range. 950 fps is not my goal. Where did you come up with that?(1)
    I am holding my loads at the 900 fps range and using less powder to do it. Besides that, my #12 Speer book does not even show a load for the 230 grain cast using the Herco powder. How did you conclude???????????
    Later STATING that You would suggest that the 255 grain slug nearing 1000 fps, may be exceeding +P pressures. Who's loading up to 1000 fps? Where did that come from. Was someone trying for 1000 fps I didn't know about?"(1)

You loaded up to 1000 fps. I hope you knew about it, having just done it! 950 and 1000 fps may not have been your goal, but you certainly went there more than once.....so my comments were relevant. No offense, just being correct here.

As to the areas I've referred to as (1) where you ask where I came up with these things, the answer is that you yourself stated that:

"I loaded a batch of 6.8 grains of the Herco with the Lee rnfp in my Dillon SD loader.
    High was 980, low was 867, and average was 909 fps."

And additionally, you stated:

"So, I gets to thinkin. I loaded up these Lee 255 grain rnfp with 6.5 and 7.0 charge of Herco. I was figuring around 850 fps for the 7.0 loads. I ran the loads over my Chrony and the 7.0 loads were running an average of 956 for a ten shot string. High was 996, (WOW) ......"

So it was you that came up with "these things." Certainly this did invite comment, and I didn't come up with it out of the blue. 996 is pretty close to 1000 fps. A "956 average" is faster than 950 fps.

You're right about comparing apples to apples.....and certainly the 255 Lee isn't the 260 Speer, in any way, shape, or form. But, if a jacketed 230, which seats in most instances more shallowly and is lighter than the 255, is Plus P at 950 fps, it's reasonable to expect a heavier, possibly deeper seated 255 may be at least in the Plus P range as well if it's achieving near equal speeds.

"There is no way for me to know what the pressure is in my load."

I certainly agree with you there, which was the whole point. All we can do is speculate, given the loading variables that are unknown. We do know that a deeper seated heavier bullet is likely to give higher pressures than a lighter or less deeply seated bullet of the same weight going at nearly the same speed.

So you see, commenting on the 230 grain load in relation to your 255 was relevant after all....if a 230 at 950 is Plus P, a deeper seated, heavier 255 going about the same speed can reasonably be considered at least Plus P as well.

That's all I'm saying. I'm stating standard pressures at these speeds with a 255 may be very questionable.
    Last edited by 35remington; 02-06-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Boolit Master

35:
    You are correct in that the high velocity in the 7.0 grain load of Herco 10 shot string was 997. This was not what I was looking for. This was an overload due to the Dillon powder measues inability to drop consistant powder charges of Herco powder. That is why I stated that I was going to, and I did weigh out the 10 shots of 6.8 graind of Herco for the last test. You seem to be wanting to stress your point on the outcome of a subject befor the testing is finished. You are comparing 230 grain jacketed to the Lee that I am loading and the variables that were NOT wanted.
    Again, with the 956 fps loads that I posted, were not what I was trying to acieve. It came in to being with the inability of the powder measure not being able to drop consistant charges.
    In you next paragraph, you are again comparing the 230 jacketed to the 255 grain cast. You are not even taking into consideration the different types of powder. You wrote" it's reasonable to expect", and "may be at least", and you are not assuming? You compare two totally different bullets with a weight variation of 25 grains and consider this a valid argument or statement? I do not know why you insist on bringing the 230 grain bullet to the party?
    I have resended my statement about the 21,000psi. You again beat the dead horse with your last sentence.
    You again make remarks about a deeper seated bullet. Deeper seated than what? The 230 grain? That bullet weight(230) does not belong in the equation.
    The reason I chose to compare to the 260 grain Speer, is that the Lee cast bullet will for all practical purposes shoot faster with less pressure than a jacketed bullet of heavier weight with the same powder.
    I guess if you want to continue comparing 230 grain jacketed with one kind of powder to a 255 grain cast with another kind of powder, who am I to stop you?
    Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    Honestly, the point I was making was not a difficult one to state, and I did not intend for you to struggle so much with it. I am sorry that the comparison to a known +P load did not make sense to you.

Enough said.
    Last edited by 35remington; 02-06-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Nuff said.

Lee 452-230-2R (Air Cooled, custom alloy), sized while heated (to swage down TL bands)
    lubed with my own lube/process

Wolf LP primers

Blazer Cases

5.5 grains of Bullseye

OAL 1.268

Same as above but with 4.0 gr Bullseye. 4.5 if I'm using J bullets. 5.5gr Bullseye with a 230 grain bullet is a TON. What velocity are you getting out of this?

I like 5.5 grains of Unique with the above tho...

Boolit Bub
    with 230 cast or FMJ I like 7.9 grains of AA#5

Interesting conversations on pressure and bullet seating. It is often frustrating to find a start point for loads for cast bullets. Sometimes the manuals don't even put the COL for the bullet they list.

We have no way of knowing seating depth for most of the cast bullet we use or.. the pressures.

I have been wondering.. we have chronos most of us. Using the same type of powder.. Would not the velocity for each bullet weight correspond well to pressure? In other words.. If we know that a certain weight bullet is safe pressure at a certain velocity.. could we not assume that a like weight bullet at the same velocity would be about the same pressure? I would even go so far as to say that if you had the same weight bullet at the same velocity with your cast load as the listed jacketed load.. that the pressure would be slightly less in your cast load?

Boolit Master

Bump to the top.

Boolit Bub
    Hi,

What are y'all running in your Glock 21 under a 230 JHP bullet?

Mike

Boolit Master
    To update my post. Unique 6.2 or Universal 6.0 with 200 grain Milhec HP or 210g RNFP.In my Kimber Target II s/s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by looseprojectile View Post
    Four pages in this thread and Catshooter is the only one that got it right for maximum power for stopping large animals. Defence?
    If the SWC boolit will feed in your gun, [does in mine] it makes your .45 an awesome 16 shot weapon. Does in mine.
    I also use the 255 grain RNFP Colt boolit and it works well too.
    I don't use any of the ***** cat loads in my forty five. No spring change needed. This thread proves to me that most people that shoot forty fives are not serious. Serious competetion maybe, but not really serious.
    And yes, I shoot paper with them ------- Sometimes.

I rather think that Colonel Cooper would like what I do with the fortyfive.

Life is good
    Exactly.
    I shoot 3 boolits in my .45 ACPs: Lee 230 TC, Lee 255 RF, 424454 Keith. The first one I always load over 5.0 Bullseye; the second two vary depending on the job at hand. I like 2400 and AL8 with the Keith boolit.

Boolit Grand Master
    I suppose that maybe it is because some of us could care less about who approves of what I do with MY 45. Col Cooper had his idea of what loads should be, I have mine. My 45 is a range gun, not a fighting gun. Col Cooper may have had his poi ions on hints but they are certainly not anything I feel obligated to follow. I don't like scout scopes either so it is probably best that he and I never met.
    My 45 sees more 200 swc with 4 gr of clays than anything. Easy to shoot, accurate enough to be fun, and cheap on powder and lead. It fits MY needs and somehow, I am OK with that.

Boolit Buddy

5.5 grains of Vihtavuori N320 with a 200 grain SWC.

Boolit Bub
    Hi,

Have y'all tried any Trail Boss for lpinking/fun loads and I understand a lighter recoil spring will be required?

Mike

Boolit Bub
    That is "plinking not "lpinking", sorry about that.

Mike

225gr lyman rn over 4.8gr titegroup
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

I've loaded thousands of Lee 452-228-1R over 4.5 gr Bullseye. Great for paper, pins, or steel.

Banned
    7 grains of Unique and a H&G 68....Russ

8.2 gr of HS-6 with 230 gr FMJ
    8.5 gr of AA#5 with 200 gr SWC
    6 gr of 231 with the 200 gr SWC
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Man
    200 H&G 68 WQWW

5.7 IMR PB - pretty warm

4.2 Titegroup - lighter recoil accurate in everything I've shot it in

225 Lyman - WQWW